View Full Version : Predictive text?

lc2407
5th September 2006, 05:38 PM
Hiya,
Me and my hubby previously had a motorola v525, the feature which we really liked was that when texting it would finish the word, without you having to type the whole word in, and would give numerous options at the bottom of the screen which you could select...something really useful for my hubby as he has dyslexia so sometimes struggles with spelling and therefore texting. Does anyone know of a decent phone which has this feature....we thought that it would be universal with Motorolas but have found that not to be the case.
Thanks

Ben
5th September 2006, 06:13 PM
Predictive (T9) really should be on every handset... if it's not on some Motorola's then more fool them. It has been on all the Nokia's and Sony Ericsson's that I've owned, so perhaps something from one of these companies would be appropriate?

lc2407
5th September 2006, 06:31 PM
It's not the same....we changed to nokia and the functions are different....it's quite difficult to explain......when keying in on the nokia it will change the characters as you form a word then when you've finished if it isn't the word you wanted you keep pressing a key to bring up other options one by one.......on the v525 it would finish the word for you after keying in only a few characters and other options were actually visible at the bottom of the screen so that you could select them very easily....I hope that makes sense???? Hisnew motorola has the same predictive text as the nokia, but he finds this less useful as he still has to key in the whole word and if he makes a mistake it won't recognise it.

Hands0n
5th September 2006, 09:27 PM
AFAIK the Motorola predictive text that lc2407 is talking about was fairly unique. The nearest I've seen is the SonyEricsson standard (which does appear to be the case across all of their current range) where suggestions come up as the word completes. Nokia is, as you have found out, not as obvious, but it is well known and loved in the Nokia community of users.

lc2407
5th September 2006, 09:47 PM
I think it's just what you get used to, I have to say we both prefered the v525, but prior to this we both loved nokias but having gone back to nokia last year we really missed this feature....my husband especially as he does have some difficulty with spelling (he has just being diagnosed dyslexic) it was much quicker and more convenient for him.
Thanks for that Handson it points me in the right direction.
Lou x

Ben
6th September 2006, 01:09 AM
FWIW on my iPAQ, which was Windows Pocket PC (since replaced by Windows Mobile that I have no experience of), it did used to predict the whole word as you were typing and you could then select it after just tapping a few letters. It annoyed the hell out of me, but it could be just what you want!

There are quite a lot of Windows Mobile devices out there. Perhaps someone on here with one could tell us if it predicts user input like Pocket PC used to?

digitaltoast
18th May 2007, 11:18 AM
I like predictive text, but the T9 Predictive Text on my Nokia 6280 with new firmware STILL resets randomly, and seems to have a tiny memory - it overwrites "old new words" very quickly.

More interestingly, it's so random!
It has words like "sanguine" and "rectum" but not "penguin" or "apostrophe".

So, despite all the common English words that are missing, it has the word "scientology"!

If I was a mental, I'd feel a conspiracy theory coming on!

miffed
20th May 2007, 02:44 PM
So, despite all the common English words that are missing, it has the word "scientology"!

If I was a mental, I'd feel a conspiracy theory coming on!

:D LOL !

Hands0n
20th May 2007, 02:47 PM
Isn't it right that Tom Cruise is a major shareholder in Nokia? :p