View Full Version : Which network/phone etc.

lc2407
5th September 2006, 06:00 PM
Okay.....here goes......I want a new phone and a new contract...I have nearly always been with Vodafone but have had a contract with 3 for the past year. I don't really have any major gripes with either but want to make sure I'm getting everything I want at the best price.
I use up to 450 minutes a month and need x network anytime and use around 100 texts...I would like to be able to go on the net and access my email, (which if I'm honest I don't have a clue how to do with a mobile.....next question??!!!!) My usage can vary greatly from month to month due to my husband being at sea 3 months out of the year, I can't phone him during that time so rarely use it.....so carryover minutes would be great.
I like the LG U400 which I had but returned as the deal wasn't the best...and I like the Sony k800.......... I like to be able to take nice pictures and download music etc. (also see my previous post re texting) I must be able to take my number with me (currently on Vodafone)

I was going to sign up to three with CPW online: talk and text 700....£35/m ..400 xnet anytime mins and 250 texts (double for 3 months) £5 of downloads, 25 mins x net video calling and 25 picture/video messages. Half price line rental for 5 months on a 12 month contract with LG u400.

I don't want to sign up to something then regret it!!! HELP????

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.......Lou x

lc2407
5th September 2006, 06:34 PM
MMM just had a look on tmobile's site and rather tempted by the FLext 35 plus web n walk....sony k800i...........decisions...decisions???

Ben
5th September 2006, 07:38 PM
Sounds like a fantastic combination to me! :) Do you know what your local T-Mobile coverage is like?

lc2407
5th September 2006, 08:28 PM
I didn't but I've just checked it out, it's okay where I live at the moment I'm in Leeds, but we are hopefully moving to Scotland within the next year and it's showing as being a bit patchy around where we will be living (Helensburgh) I'll probably get in touch with a couple of people up there and see how they get on.
I have to say I'm very tempted......just a question, can you use the connection to go online using a laptop? I've got a vodafone payu card at the moment (don't use it very much).
Sorry about all the questions but I really don't know very much about all of this!! I'm here to learn!
Lou x

Hands0n
5th September 2006, 09:25 PM
Hi lc2407 - If your spend is around the £35 mark then T-Mobile's Flext 35 with Web N Walk is right up your street. However, if you want to connect a laptop then you will need the Web N Walk Pro version with your contract handset. It is a little more expensive but the T&Cs do allow you to hook up a Laptop/PDA using your phone as a 2G/3G modem.

If you have any doubts about Flext 35 check out their web page with the slider controls so you can see how many Voice mins, Texts and MMS you can get for your £35 (£180 allowance). It is a huge amount and very flexible too. There is no carry over of unused allowance, but that hardly matters if you are not using it anyway :)

Regarding checking out the signal coverage - you could get it checked out with your local contacts if you send them a cheapo (unlocked) handset with a T-Mobile PAYG SIM. Alternatively consider one of the MVNOs that use T-Mobile's network such as easyMobile who give a free 2G handset with their entry-level £20 SIM (see http://www.easymobile.com) They could play around with it for a few days and see if the signal strength is good enough where you are intending to go.

I'm sure that most, if not all, your questions will find answers here. We've got right brainy lot of members around :D

lc2407
5th September 2006, 09:35 PM
Thanks to both of you,
I was hoping I'd be able to maybe use bluetooth or something to be able to connect through the phone rather than using a data card (sorry if I was being a bit thick!!) I'll probably stick with the vodafone card for the laptop then as I only pay for what I use which isn't much, and I can probably do what I need to do through the phone anyway....it's just catching up on emails mainly, and I tend to buy quite a bit online too, ooh and there's all these forum things that I seem to be getting addicted to??!!
I have broadband at home but spend a bit of time at my parents and they don't have an internet connection.
I'l find out more about coverage and probably go ahead with this one, I'll let you know.
Ta, Lou x

Hands0n
5th September 2006, 09:37 PM
Hope I didn't mislead you - you can indeed use the Bluetooth for your Laptop to the Phone, its just that with Web N Walk (standard edition) they do not permit that kind of use. However, if you take their Web N Walk Pro add-on to the Flext 35 then you can indeed do just that with Handset Laptop and Bluetooth.

Do please let us know what you eventually settle for, and if any more questions etc just fire away.

lc2407
5th September 2006, 09:50 PM
Okay, so another silly question, how would they know?

3GScottishUser
5th September 2006, 10:21 PM
There are some other worthy considerations.

What about 02's 3G deal with the SE K800i? For £35 a month you get a free phone (of course) and either 1000 X/Net mins + 150 SMS or 750 X/Net mins + 750 SMS. (You can use MMS for 3 X SMS's) + you get 1MB of downloads free each month and Videocalls cost the same as voice.

Or

On Orange from e2save on Canary 30 at £30 a month with 6 months free. That gives you 325 X/Net mins+ 100 On-Net off-peak calls and 650 SMS each month + 1GB of Data free for 1st 2 months + free Orange photo service and 50 mins of Video calling for 2 months. You can get yourself up to 8MB free broadband with a wireless router and free calls to all 01/02 numbers over Voip. There is also the magic number feature from your mobile.

Vodafone have revised their price plans and Stop The Clock can make your minutes go a long, long way when calling off peak. On 18 month plans you get double inclusive X/Net minutes + STC + one other extra feature. Well worth checking out on CPW's site or e2save.

So many good deals to choose from now!!

PS With everyone but 3 you can also select the network (GSM or 3G) so in weaker 3G areas you can switch to trusty GSM for best call reliability.

Hands0n
5th September 2006, 10:42 PM
Okay, so another silly question, how would they know?

As far as I can tell (I have WNW Standard on a Nokia 6280 with T-Mob) they do not permission Data Access on your mobile account. So, when you try to access the Internet via Bluetooth and the Handset you get an error message to the effect that the data is not permissioned. However, the handset itself can access all websites, and additional apps such as Mobizines and Google Maps work just fine.

Ben
6th September 2006, 01:05 AM
As far as I can tell (I have WNW Standard on a Nokia 6280 with T-Mob) they do not permission Data Access on your mobile account. So, when you try to access the Internet via Bluetooth and the Handset you get an error message to the effect that the data is not permissioned. However, the handset itself can access all websites, and additional apps such as Mobizines and Google Maps work just fine.
Have you given it a go? I didn't think there was an actual block... pity if so, as no doubt rare and brief usage would go unnoticed.

Hands0n
6th September 2006, 07:33 AM
Have you given it a go? I didn't think there was an actual block... pity if so, as no doubt rare and brief usage would go unnoticed.

Yes, it was probably one of the first things I tried when I got the phone home :D I was really disappointed. As you say, some little occasional use would probably go unnoticed, and that would have done for me.