View Full Version : ITV starts broadcasting live to mobile phones

Hands0n
6th September 2006, 07:49 AM
It had to happen - I hope that ITV go on to do this with other networks also. The only thing that bugs me is having to keep paying for the same content over different distribution mediums. Is that fair enough? One wonders.

LONDON (Reuters) - ITV said on Tuesday it has began broadcasting live programmes to mobile phones.

Although other broadcasters transmit some content to mobiles, the ITV deal with mobile network 3 is the first time live programming will be available on handsets, it said.

Last year Vodafone and satellite broadcaster Sky launched a range of mobile packages for customers while in June 2006 Channel 4 began simulcasts on the Internet. The BBC's foray into online simulcasts began with the World Cup this summer.

ITV said that, to begin with, adverts will not be shown on the mobile phone versions of ITV1 and ITV Play. Breaks will be filled with trailers for upcoming shows rather than ads.

However, advertising will appear at a later date once rights issues have been sorted out, an ITV spokeswoman said.

The broadcaster's simulcast service is available for customers of mobile network 3 at a price of 99 pence a day for ITV1 and 49 pence for ITV Play, with a five pounds charge a month for unlimited viewing of an 18 channel television pack.

A six month trial conducted earlier this year by BT and Virgin Mobile among 1,000 users found that 59 percent rated mobile television as appealing or very appealing, with users watching an average of 66 minutes a week.

Article source: Reuters UK (http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=internetNews&storyID=2006-09-05T140445Z_01_L05436251_RTRIDST_0_OUKIN-UK-LEISURE-ITV-MOBILES.XML)

getti
6th September 2006, 07:58 AM
I have watched Jeremy Kyle and Corrie so far on it on a N73 and a Z400. Quality was as good as Sky on Voda if not a little better and there was no buffereing or lag for a whole 30 minute episode.

Very impressed. Also in that £5 you get the other non mobi-tv stations which is great as i love watching The Comedy Store on Paramount i think it is.

3GScottishUser
6th September 2006, 08:06 AM
Has'nt Sky been broadcasting their News channel live to mobiles?

99p a day is steep and works out at £29.70 a month or £356.40 a year!! Just think how good the value is from the TV Licence (£131.50)!! The £5 a month 18 channel package deal seems a much better bet but does that include the ITV channels?

If they do include ITV1 in the 18 channel (£5) line-up then I suspect it could be an attractive add-on for those who spend time travelling regualrly.

getti
6th September 2006, 08:25 AM
Yup the £5 includes access to ITV

3GScottishUser
6th September 2006, 10:25 AM
You will need to be careful when you tune in if you dont want to miss some important Corrie bits etc because "TV Channels are subject to a viewing limit of twenty minute sessions before services is interrupted. Service can then be resumed immediatley and as many times as requested."

Also that £5 add-on appears to be a promotional price as according to 3's website "Promotional price (£5.00 a month) has been extended until 31/08/06 after which the price will be £10 per month." Perhaps this promotion has been extended?

a_ukboy
8th September 2006, 08:55 AM
12 Channels? really? i can only find about 10... Can someone please list the 10 channels that are avaliable on Three tv?

Many Thanks

a_ukboy
8th September 2006, 09:50 AM
12 Channels? really? i can only find about 10... Can someone please list the 10 channels that are avaliable on Three tv?

Many Thanks

Right LOL I'll try that again, that'll teach me for posting a message while still half asleep..

18 Channels? Really? i can only find about 10, can someone please list the 18 channels that are avaliable on 3tv?

Thanks