View Full Version : 3G success threatened by lack of interest

3GScottishUser
6th September 2006, 10:51 AM
From Mobile News Issue 371 (28/08/2006):

Mobile users are losing interest in music downloads, according to a survey by music research firm Entertainment Media Research.

The survey of mainly 18- to 34-year-old music consumers, carried out in association with law firm Olswang, found that, although 46 per cent expressed a preference for using a music phone rather than an MP3 player to listen to music on the move, only four per cent were "very likely" to start downloading content any time soon.

Though the survey found that slightly more users expressed some interest in downloading - 25 per cent compared with 21 per cent a year ago - the numbers actually doing so are currently only 11 per cent of the sample. This means that nearly half of users who claim to be interested in downloads fail to start.

Instead, the survey reveals, two-thirds of consumers "share music with friends". It contends that mobile downloads have attracted early adopters, but failed to reach a wider audience, and also reveals a wide lack of understanding about digital rights management and copyright law.

The findings have implications for 3G take-up, as fast music and other content downloads have been touted as the key benefit of the technology. Even among 3G users, only one in five use their phone to download music, according to a recent report by music industry trade body the IFPI.

http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/cgi-bin/articles.pl?id=8873§ion=12&action=display

Hands0n
6th September 2006, 03:19 PM
I NEVER use any of my 3G phones to download DRM'd content - and I never will. Full Stop! The very notion of DRM is abhorrent to me - moreso how it is implemented in mobile phones. Change phone, network provider, anything and you're into having to buy the content all over again, or going through hoops to get a refund to allow you to re-download the content. Always assuming that it is still there, or that you've the time to spend doing it.

No. DRM on mobile phones is out of whack with the reality of daily life. We've all got quite enough to be getting on with without the hassle of that. I'd rather buy a CD, rip it and stick the MP3s on my mobile - which is exactly what I and no doubt squillions of others do.

miffed
6th September 2006, 03:58 PM
I NEVER use any of my 3G phones to download DRM'd content - and I never will. Full Stop! The very notion of DRM is abhorrent to me - moreso how it is implemented in mobile phones. Change phone, network provider, anything and you're into having to buy the content all over again, or going through hoops to get a refund to allow you to re-download the content. Always assuming that it is still there, or that you've the time to spend doing it.

No. DRM on mobile phones is out of whack with the reality of daily life. We've all got quite enough to be getting on with without the hassle of that. I'd rather buy a CD, rip it and stick the MP3s on my mobile - which is exactly what I and no doubt squillions of others do.

I agree with the above and find it quite laughable to be honest
For as long s I can remember people have have been "stealing" music

(older members remember this ?
"home taping is killing music ! " (with a picture of a skull & crossbones )

.....And here we are - 20 years later .... well , looks like the music industry managed to "scrape through" despite all the hardship ! :D :D :D

Seriously - the UK music industry chose to take us for mugs and let us pay through the nose for music - it's no surprise the worm turned !

....... So - wth those rules of conflict laid down - Having another industry (The ttelco industry ) pick up the baton and think "hey , we'll get people to pay through the nose for this stuff" is absolutely laughable !

Whoever thought of it really need a kick up the backside IMO

Mobile internet is where it's at IMO - what was once the realm of the techie types is crossing over to "normal" people quite well (thanks to t-mobile )
When people have asked me in the past "why do you need a phone like that (XDA etc) - I'd always tell them " you'd be surprised how useful it is to have the internet in your pocket !" .... and now , as peoples understanding of the net itself is increasing - the devices & the technology are in place ... I expect a major boom soon , - the one remaining obstacle is to have have a decent web browser , with a large screen in a device that is frankly idiotproof
Once something like this exists ...... BOOM !

Ben
6th September 2006, 06:38 PM
Mhm... some 10% of all singles sold in the UK are now purchased by Three mobile subscribers. I'm not ready to say there's a lack of interest in this feature just yet!

miffed
6th September 2006, 08:27 PM
10% sounds impressive - but I beleive only 14 singles have been sold so far this year
Meaning Three sold 1.5 singles .... and that was just people using up their allowances I think

;)

seriously though , single sales are at an ALL TIME low

Ben
6th September 2006, 08:52 PM
Lol, yes they indeed are, but even so taking 10% of all UK singles sales is pretty impressive. Not that I subscribe to the whole DRM thing either (believe me, I've tried, and I've gone back to buying CD's legally and ripping them into iTunes other than the odd iTunes impulse buy), but I think it's clear that consumers are prepared to use advanced services on their 3G mobile's when they're right for them.