View Full Version : e228 o2 apn problems

johnna
6th September 2006, 10:07 PM
Hi All, first post so please go easy.
I have bought an nec e228 unlocked and have added an o2 sim. The sim has been upgraded to mms and gprs.

The phone seller (via ebay) told me that the phone would send mms once the apn was updated.

I have edited the apn to o2 internet (and also to o2 wap gprs) and the apn address to payandgo.o2.co.uk no combination of these works...

Can phones that were 3mobile be fully unlocked for o2 (or others) to include mms and gprs??? Or am I just being thick???

I can send text messages or make voice calls, but not send video messages or photo messages, although I can capture video and photos.

The seller also listed the phone as bluetooth... when I complained it wasn't he said that I could get a bluetooth headset for it, so it was bluetooth... I feel mislead... am I justified in thinking this?

Ben
6th September 2006, 10:41 PM
Welcome to Talk3G!

This was one of the earlier 3G handsets in the UK, and NEC's reputation for these early handsets is, well, on the floor. I hate to start negatively but if it was me I'd return the handset to the seller for a refund and buy something else.

I'm not sure about the MMS problem but it is possible that it'll only work on 3. As for Bluetooth, some handsets do only have profiles for a hands free, so that's possible too :(

johnna
7th September 2006, 12:38 AM
Yes I've figured that it is not good for much other than being a surf board for a medium sized pet animal...

In all honesty, it seems like it is locked to three for mms and gprs and there is no way it can be called a bluetooth handset.

I've been had...

Ben
7th September 2006, 01:05 AM
See what some other members think as I never owned this particular phone, but it wouldn't hurt to see if you can return it. I'm guessing it was priced quite cheaply in the grand scheme of things, but if you let us know your budget and requirements I'm sure we could suggest some alternatives.

Hands0n
7th September 2006, 06:35 AM
The settings for MMS can be hard to get right - it is not only the APN but some other bits and pieces that need changing relating to the GPRS. If you have a search through the Talk3G there are a few articles that describe the whole process for other handsets (and networks) that will help. I think that it would be rather unusual, even for an NEC, for the MMS settings to be permanently burned in for 3 - especially for an older handset!

Other than that - you should be able to get the handset back to the seller on eBay if they have lied in their sale. If you post the eBay auction number on here I'll take a quick look and see if there is anything blatantly wrong in the auction or if it has been somewhat misleading.

Or maybe your thoughts of donating it to the pet hamster is a viable proposition :)

johnna
7th September 2006, 01:15 PM
The ebay item no is:

To give the seller his due, he is offering a refund of the item cost, but I'm after the postage too, because I'd never have paid £37 total if I were aware of the handset not being bluetooth capable without peripherals, or nigh on impossible to set up the mms and gprs.

He has offered me the nec 341 in exchange, but that's not got the features I wanted...
basically I want a bluetooth video (capture/ send/ recieve) handset, ideally clamshell, which will work on o2payg for a decent price. I have the o2 sim which is ideal for my needs. £50 is around my limit.

I never knew getting into happy slapping was so hard... LOL!

That IS a joke BTW.

Hands0n
7th September 2006, 09:13 PM
Reading through the auction on eBay I think that you may have got the wrong end of the stick, or at least your expectation was not set properly by the advert.

He does state that the phone has USB - but it seems that you anticipated receiving a BT Headset also (correct me if I'm wrong here), and the advert does not say that it includes BT devices. It does say, however, that it includes a Headset -but I would take that to be the standard NEC wired headset that they normally include in the base package.

Sellers often refuse to refund the Postage when refunding a purchase. I'm not sure how tied individual eBayers are to the UK's Distance Selling Regulations but Postage should be included in any Return for replacement or Refund. You should stick you ground, but be prepared to lose the postage (if he is not obliged). But you could consult with eBay Help on this too before you get too far into a dispute with the seller.

Hoe this helps some.

johnna
7th September 2006, 09:20 PM
Can I take this opportunity to thank all the people who have posted to help me? Thanks all!

The seller and I have come to a compromise, he has offered me £15 and to keep the handset. So I have agreed and I have given the handset to my friend to use. His sendo handset is broken.

I am fancying a Motorola V3 on contract with o2... bad idea???

Ben
7th September 2006, 10:59 PM
The Razr? Mhm. Not to my personal tastes, but still a widely used phone all the same. If you're going for a contract you can probably get something far newer and more valuable for free if you shop around. Still, if the V3 is what you like, go for it!

(I'm thinking Sony Ericsson K800i Cybershot phone, Nokia 6233 workhorse, Nokia 6280 slider or perhaps something really swish like the Nokia N73 smartphone... all 3G handsets)

Hands0n
8th September 2006, 12:04 AM
If you don't want to make any kind of long term commitment you could do worse than pick up a V3 from easyMobile (http://www.easymobilephones.com/motorola/v3-black/?is=0) for £89.94 which includes the first £20 of airtime (£69.94 for the handset!). These can easily be unlocked to other networks if you decide easyMobile is not the one for you....

As Ben says, these are not the latest and greatest handsets, but the V3 certainly drew a crowd when it came out. There are other handsets on offer from that operator too .... worth a looksee.

easyMobile is part of the Stelios empire (easyJet etc....) and uses the T-Mobile network as an Virtual Network Operator. Tariff is flat and easy to understand. Not the cheapest around, but good value all the same. And they occasionally give away free days - unlimited no charge voice calls and text for a 24 hour period.

I've no connection with them other than being a satisfied occasional user of theirs. The other MVNOs may have similar deals on the table.