View Full Version : T-Mobile launch Free Music Videos

3GScottishUser
11th September 2006, 12:45 PM
From Tech Digest (11/09/2006):

EMI and T-Mobile trial ad-supported free mobile video

T-Mobile, in collaboration with EMI Music, is to trial of ad-supported mobile video, effectively offering free mobile video content embedded with television-style advertising, provided by mobile ad firm Rhythm NewMedia.

The trial is taking place in the UK, with T-Mobile customers presented with an electronic program guide (EPG) on their handset that will offer a range of news, sport and etnertainment content. When a user selects a video from an EMI Music UK artist, that video is streamed with specifically targeted advertisements. Advertisers participating in this trial include Coca Cola Zero, General Motors, Gillette, Land Rover, Microsoft Mobile, Nike and Toyota.

http://www.techdigest.tv/2006/09/emi_and_tmobile.html

3g-g
11th September 2006, 03:23 PM
It has to happen I think, and it was only a matter of time 'till someone else expanded it past Orange's on portal advertising they have planned. TBH I'd rather have mobile TV / WAP browsing with no extra costs and advertising than data charges and subscription costs and no adverts.

3GScottishUser
11th September 2006, 08:06 PM
I think this is great news for customers like me who would not have anything to do with DRM protected downloads. I would be happy to view a track for free with an advert as the cost.

This will raise the profile of video music downloads quit a bit I think and will further turn the screw on 3 UK who have been touting music as one of their great hopes for revenue.

Hands0n
11th September 2006, 11:55 PM
Surely this is likely to put T-Mobile at the top slot for Video Downloads. I very most certainly would use them for such content. I really am not at all interested in DRM content locked to an individual handset and very purposely stay away from anything like that, as does everyone I know of.

To digress slightly, I don't even know anyone who actually buys from iTunes and the others - although their figures are impressive for sellers of DRM content. What will happen when users upgrade to new PCs in years to come? Buy the content again? If so that will signal the death knell for DRM.

Way to go T-Mobile, this is likely to be as big a success as Flext, perhaps more so for the kids - especially if it is available on PAYG handsets also!

bsrjl1
12th September 2006, 01:40 PM
I purchase regularly from iTunes, in fact since the service launched I've hardly bought any CDs. When I bought a new Mac mini I just deauthorised the old one & authorised the new one. You can have 5 authorised (and once you get to 5 there's a handy option to de-auth all the others, should a HD die etc..), unlimited iPods. I don't mind DRM when it doesn't get in the way.