View Full Version : nolia N80 no reception in the house

blue
12th September 2006, 05:25 PM
I hope you can help. My daughter in law has just changed from 02 which she hasn't had a problem with, to 3 network she got the nokia N80 and can't even get a signal or use the phone to make calls or recieve calls it just goes on to answer phone. She needs the phone because she is on call in her job.
She wants to cancell the phone contract but 3 said she can't. But whats the point in carrying on if its not useable. She has tried to set it to G instead of 3G has suggested but it keeps going back to 3G. I really hope someone oon here can help. Please.

Hands0n
12th September 2006, 07:25 PM
If you are within your initial 14 days of contract cancel with them immediately, right now, don't delay a second, get out while you can.

If you are beyond the initial 14 day period then you are rather stuck with 3's contract, and they will not be at all sympathetic to you in any way, shape or fashion. There will be little-to-nothing that you can do except pay the contract out. But maybe it is not all doom and gloom.

Firstly; have you checked their coverage in your area using their website tool http://www.three.co.uk/three/coverage/coverageChecker.do It is worth seeing what the "official" position is. It may well be that you are in a radio black hole of 3's. But if you previously had good O2 coverage then when the N80 is in 2G mode it should pick up O2's network just as well as 3 use O2 as their 2G backup (they are changing to Orange but I'm not sure if that is in place yet).

Second; possibly you have a handset fault, indicated by not being able to pick up O2's 2G signal on it. Its a bit of a longshot but it could be as simple as that. In which case arrange with 3 to have the N80 repaired, tell them you simply cannot get a signal on it anywhere rather than being too specific.

Do you have any friends or associates on the 3 network who you could try your own USIM in their handset? Just to see if it works any better there? If so, then it is back to there being a handset problem with the N80.

Generally speaking, the 3 network has good 3G coverage in most places these days, with reasonable 2G infill where it is lacking. However, there are also some notorious 3 deadzones where nothing of theirs seems to work.

In the end, you may have to cut your losses and write 3 off as a bad experience. Very many people have had to do just this. You will find no sympathy from within 3 itself. Their contract is fairly watertight in their favour and if you start witholding payments and suchlike they take immediate dept collection arrangements which will damage your credit record.

3 will not let you reduce your contract to minimum immediately, you have to shut it down gradually, one tarriff step at a time. Read your contract Terms and Conditions for the details how to do this. It is at least one way of minimising your expense with 3. The other is to sell the N80 on eBay - these are selling for around £150 in auction and higher on "Buy Now" which will help you towards paying off the remainder of the 3 contract year.

Sorry that its not all good news, but then its not all bad either if it is a handset fault and you can get 3 to repair it (that itself often takes several attempts).

Please keep us posted on here of your experience. And ask again if you've any more questions. I'm sure there will be other replies to you also.

blue
12th September 2006, 07:46 PM
Thanks for your reply. Its not my phone thats the problems I am on 3 and its ok it is my daughter inlaw's phone. Unfortunatley she is out of the 2 weeks. She did a daft thing and got the phone and then had to waite 1 week for 02 code to be put on her 3 phone then she went away for 2 weeks so her time was up. Her arguement is they say she is in breach of contract if she stops her derect debit she says they are because she is paying for an unusable phone/network. Since I wrote to you I lent her my old phone and it seems to be alot better. 3 are coming to pick her phone up to mend it tomorrow so fingers crossed if its not. Do you think 3 would exchage her phone for a different phone if its no better. Thanks again for your help.:)

Hands0n
12th September 2006, 08:16 PM
From what you say it does rather point to the actual N80 handset itself rather than anything else.

3 have a policy of replacing the handset if it has had three repairs. But you have to go through the process before they'll do that. Its a pain in the botty, but yes they will change the handset for either another N80 or something different - but you may have to be insistent.

Do not cancel the DD under any circumstances. They will immediately charge you an extra £3 for producing a paper bill, and then set the Debt Collectors on to the job. This will damage any credit ratings and affect your ability to trade elsewhere.

As regards the Contract - 3 have a pretty watertight contract that pretty much allows them to provide you with no service at all! They have certain statutory obligations such as repairing or replacing any terminal equipment that they sell to you (the N80) but not much beyond that. So if you are in a radio blackspot you just have to live with it. But it does not sound like your daughter inlaw is in such a place.

However, the contract is so worded that the Customer has an absolute obligation to see out the entire contracted period and to pay all and every monies owed on it. There are some escape clauses, but these would not apply in this instance as they have offered a repair.

blue
13th September 2006, 08:47 AM
Thanks for your help what do you think would be a good exchange if it is possible

Hands0n
13th September 2006, 01:45 PM
You're welcome.

Seriously? There's nothing wrong with the N80, it is a staggeringly well equipped handset. You could ask for a replacement not a repair after 3 attempts at repair. But if you are considering anther brand altogether I do think you should have a look at the SonyEricsson K800i (here, if you're stuck wtih 3 http://www.three.co.uk/handsets/handsetoverview.omp?subleft=2&header=PAYMON&cid=1150189081142 )

But it all rather depends on what you're after in a handset - they all have their individuality.