View Full Version : Who provides my 2G Coverage?

crowfield99
19th September 2006, 06:27 PM
I’m about 2 and a half weeks now into a new 3 Contract – I understand that 3 was going to ditch 02 and use Orange instead for its back-up 2G Service. Since I am a new customer do you think I will be using Oranges 2G rather than 02’s now? Or any way I can find this out myself do you think?

Its not a huge issue, just one of them things it would be nice to know…

Cheers!

Ben
19th September 2006, 08:00 PM
I do not believe the transition has begun yet and I would imagine it will be transparent to users. The easiest way to know what 2G network is being used would be to hold the handset next to a speaker and transmit data/voice - GSM900, ie O2, creates a lot of interference, GSM1800, ie Orange, creates hardly any.

crowfield99
19th September 2006, 09:09 PM
The easiest way to know what 2G network is being used would be to hold the handset next to a speaker and transmit data/voice - GSM900, ie O2, creates a lot of interference, GSM1800, ie Orange, creates hardly any.

Thats very true and forgot about that, thanks for that Ben! The Sky Box is a sucker for that so will use that for testing :D

getti
19th September 2006, 11:35 PM
I think its started already but wont finish until mid 2007

crowfield99
19th September 2006, 11:41 PM
Next daft question say i'm using 02's 2G Signal... How on earth do they work it so it uses Orange instead?

3g-g
20th September 2006, 08:59 AM
Next daft question say i'm using 02's 2G Signal... How on earth do they work it so it uses Orange instead?

I don't think the roaming agreement with Orange starts 'till October, and from then all new Three connections (both PAYM & PAYG) will use Orange as their GSM backup. Any Three connections prior to then will continue to use O2. Eventually there'll be an update to the Three subscriber info telling the SIM to look for Orange's network code rather than O2's, easy really.

crowfield99
20th September 2006, 10:34 AM
I don't think the roaming agreement with Orange starts 'till October, and from then all new Three connections (both PAYM & PAYG) will use Orange as their GSM backup. Any Three connections prior to then will continue to use O2. Eventually there'll be an update to the Three subscriber info telling the SIM to look for Orange's network code rather than O2's, easy really.

That explains it all!

THANK YOU! :)

bsrjl1
20th September 2006, 12:02 PM
The existing USIMs will be updated OTA to allow Orange's network code in addition to O2. New USIMs from that date will only be allowed on Orange. When the O2 agreement ends, original USIMs will have O2 removed & I'd imagine the links from 3's network to O2's will be chopped so you wouldn't be able to attach to O2 anyway.