View Full Version : New Nokia Phone! (N95)

getti
25th September 2006, 10:31 PM
I can confirm the rumors of a HSDPA, 5 megapixel camera phone with WiFi and GPS are true.

Rafe from All About Symbian was chatting to me tonight and has seen it as he was in new york.

Check his site out tomorrow

getti
25th September 2006, 11:16 PM
NOW HAS 3 IMAGES!!.

Taken from All About Symbian

Ben
25th September 2006, 11:20 PM
Looks promising... and that dual slide for the music controls is positively superb - is that the first of its kind?

Nokia? Innovate? Whatever next!

Hands0n
25th September 2006, 11:54 PM
I rather like the look of that! Nokia N95, hmmmm looks like it may be a 4Q06 winner if they get it out on time.

getti
26th September 2006, 12:05 AM
Q1 2007 its due

miffed
26th September 2006, 08:43 AM
you'd think he would have trimmed his nails and washed his hands before the shoot

.... Still , livens up an otherwise boring photo ....

Is it made from the same lead lined depleted uranium that they made the n91 from ?

(only joking , Nokia disciples :p )

3GScottishUser
26th September 2006, 12:50 PM
Some more information about the N95:

The new phone will be running S60 3rd Edition, comes with a dua slider design with a multimedia control pad on top. According to allaboutsymbian it will be the first HSDPA phone from Nokia. With a body size of just 99 x 20 x 53 mm, it support Quadband GSM / WCDMA network, has built in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS and IrDA connection. Memory can be expanded through the microSD memory card slot before you filled up the 150MB internal memory. You can connect the phone to your pc directly through the mini USB connector, forget about the traditional Nokia port! The Nokia N95 will be the Nokia's highest megapixel camera when announced, featuring a 5 megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss Optics. It should be available in Q1 2007 with a price of about 700 USD (to be confirmed)

Source: http://www.slashphone.com/87/5383.html

Yssybyl
26th September 2006, 01:00 PM
*nice* 5MPx camera would make a hell of a difference, although I hope they've upped the internal memory capacity to allow all those high pxl pictures to be stored....

suddenly the offers of contracting back at Nokia seem more inviting :)
Think I'm too late to get in and grab one for free though :(

Maybe he left the pen marks on his thumb so he could easily spot "people" (in the broadest sense of the word) who had nicked his images and posted them on ebay as for sale.... *checks* none on there yet...

Hands0n
27th September 2006, 07:16 AM
Announcement on El Reg here (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/09/26/nokia_unveils_n95/)

Suggested price unsubsidised £369 - wonder if it'll be that SIM-free initially.

Nokia has taken the wraps off its new top-of-the-range N series handset, attempting to wow buyers with the gadget's two-way slider mechanism, five megapixel camera, integrated GPS receiver and support for HSDPA-enabled 3G networks.

The Finnish phone giant stressed the N95's role as the multi-blade knife of mobile phones: "This single device - which fits easily in your pocket - can replace standalone devices that you no longer need, whether it's your music player, your digital camera, PDA or navigation device," Anssi Vanjoki, head of Nokia's multimedia division boasted.

nokia n95 hsdpa handset nokia n95 hsdpa handset

The N95 looks a little like Nokia's N80 slider phone, but the front moves down as well as up, to reveal dedicated music playback keys and the regular keypad, respectively. The phone sports a 2.6in 240 x 320, 16m-colour display backed by a dedicated 3D graphics chip - presumably one of ATI's, the result of the two firms' collaboration announced earlier this year.

The phone has built-in stereo speakers and a standard 3.5mm earphone-jack socket. It can take Micro SD cards for storing music and "DVD-like quality" movies shot on the five megapixel camera, which also boasts a Carl Zeiss lens. UPnP support allows content to be streamed to other devices.

Alas, the GPS receiver ships alone, without suitable navigation software, which Nokia said was an "additional feature purchase".

The N95 runs the Symbian operating system and Nokia's Series 60 (S60) user interface. Its radio has GSM/GPRS/EDGE connectivity, along with UMTS 3G and HSDPA.

The phone is expected to start shipping in volume during Q1 2007 for around €550 ($701/£369) unsubsidised. ®

Article Source: The Register (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/09/26/nokia_unveils_n95/)

Ben
27th September 2006, 11:37 AM
Ah, dedicated graphics! Now we're talking!

The SE W900i is the first (and only) handset I have owned with dedicated graphics. The speed of the handset was fantastic. Perhaps the dedicated graphics in this new Nokia N95 will take enough strain of Nokia's selection of pathetic processors and actually make for a half decent user experience?

3g-g
27th September 2006, 03:36 PM
This is quite possibly the first handset I'm considering buying SIM free, it's looking and sounding amazing, i'm positvely wet with excitement!

teclo
27th September 2006, 04:28 PM
I'm looking at some more pics here - Gizmodo (http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/nokia-n95-cellphone-has-wings-5mp-cam-gps-hsdpa-203336.php) and I have a reservation about the buttons on the front.

Is it just me or do the Green and Red buttons look a bit small compared to the humungous Menu and Multimedia buttons?

I would be a bit concerned about pressing menu instead of call.

Just a thought looking at these new pics.

getti
27th September 2006, 04:33 PM
I would not expect to see it under £500 to be honest. On a plus point (which i texted ben with last night), A site who is connected with Nokia have said they would like me to review the N95 before release. So really it could be anytime from now on!

teclo
27th September 2006, 04:39 PM
Even more pics here (http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/006/09/nokia_n95.html). Take a look at the first one, is that a proper compact USb socket? Have Nokia finally dropped the Pop Port?

Oh.. if I read the article I may have seen "mini-USB connector" mentioned there.. It also has a 3.5 inch mini jack so it _may_ be able to use proper headphones.

3g-g
27th September 2006, 04:47 PM
Some more information about the N95:

The new phone will be running S60 3rd Edition, comes with a dua slider design with a multimedia control pad on top. According to allaboutsymbian it will be the first HSDPA phone from Nokia. With a body size of just 99 x 20 x 53 mm, it support Quadband GSM / WCDMA network, has built in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS and IrDA connection. Memory can be expanded through the microSD memory card slot before you filled up the 150MB internal memory. You can connect the phone to your pc directly through the mini USB connector, forget about the traditional Nokia port! The Nokia N95 will be the Nokia's highest megapixel camera when announced, featuring a 5 megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss Optics. It should be available in Q1 2007 with a price of about 700 USD (to be confirmed)

Source: http://www.slashphone.com/87/5383.html

teclo, have a read at 3GSUs post, I can hardly contain myself at how good this handset sounds! Probably riddled with SW bugs, but I don't care! It'll have a better camera that my current digital one!!

Hands0n
27th September 2006, 04:56 PM
It appears to be a worthy competitor to the Sony Ericsson W900i, finally - at least in the optics department (can it take on the Walkman aspect?). The SE W900i had huge internal memory and readily expandable with an add-in card. To date Nokia handsets have had puny on-board memory and crappy optics, regardless of the Mpixel camera status.

Thing is, I don't care how good it is, I ain't paying £500 for a handset! Not when I know that within a year another tempting morsel will be placed before me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for convergence in the handset - love the notion and make use of the SE W900i and Nokia 6280 to reasonably full capability. But still I own a discrete MP3 player for my journeys and travels - can't be getting to my destination only to find that I have no telephony due to inadequate battery life, the thing that befuddles all of the latest and greatest technologies.

Edit: This is an interesting little find - a USB Solar Panel (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-Solar-Charger-panel-for-MP3-PDA-GPS-Mobile-Phone_W0QQitemZ150037001361QQihZ005QQcategoryZ1503 7QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) to recharge/power any USB chargeable device (mobile phone, PDA, iPod etc....) . I've ordered one, expect a review soon.

teclo
27th September 2006, 05:06 PM
teclo, have a read at 3GSUs post, I can hardly contain myself at how good this handset sounds! Probably riddled with SW bugs, but I don't care! It'll have a better camera that my current digital one!!

I know I saw that after I posted and then re-read everything. Personally I think I would like to wait to see what the picture quality is like on this as I've not heard good things about the Nokia 3mp phones.

getti
27th September 2006, 05:11 PM
Having used a N80 and seen pictures i must say the camera sucks (and thats being nice).

The N93 is ok but nothing major. I will say though that the 3.2mp camera on the N73 is VERY good and i think is one of the best out today.

Alio
27th September 2006, 06:44 PM
N95.......no WIFI.......why!

getti
27th September 2006, 07:21 PM
The N95 does have WiFi