View Full Version : WAP Push

steve9025
25th September 2006, 11:23 PM
I need to find a suitable 'virtual library' to upload ringtones on to. Ideally, I'd then be able to automate it so it is possible that once a customer orders a tone, it is sent to them via 'WAP Push'.

I need to find a decent virtual library to set up on and more info. regarding what is required to set it up and to automate it through 'WAP Push'.

I'm really out of my depth here btw :o Even just basic info on virtual libraries and WAP Push would be welcome - even better if you can recommend where I should get these technologies from.

Ben
25th September 2006, 11:42 PM
Hey steve,

A WAP Push is just a special kind of text message that prompts the user to connect using their WAP/GPRS settings to an address you specify.

As for a 'virtual library'... you're literally just putting the relevant files online somewhere and then sending the URL to the file to the handset via the WAP Push message.

In order to create your solution it is likely that you will need some programming knowledge and information on 8 bit binary SMS. There may well be companies out there who can 'streamline' the WAP Push process so you need to know as little as possible - a quick Google returns some hopeful results.

Best of luck.

Andy.C
26th September 2006, 11:09 AM
Hi there,

Steve actually wrote this question for me, but I thought I may as well register to find out a bit more.

Setting up the virtual library isn't too dificult then? The main problems come in making it possible to automate the sending of tones to various customers? I have looked at a software called WAPServe. The product info is here:

http://www.wapserve.info/pdf/wapserve%20whitepaper%20v2_0%20english.pdf#search= %22wapserve%22

Could this be linked up with a database and send the tone via wap push? How easy/hard would this be to set up? I've been tasked to do this as part of my job, but as Steve mentions above, i'm not in my element. As i'm not overly technically minded, everything is new to me!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Andy

Ben
26th September 2006, 02:36 PM
Hi Andy,

WAPServe sounds like it will certainly do some of what you're after, maintaining a database, detecting the requesting handset and serving the correct file. Having not used it myself I can't really say more than that.

I still believe some programming knowledge will be necessary though. What exactly are you trying to create?

Andy.C
26th September 2006, 03:36 PM
Hi Ben,

Well I work for a company called tellmebytext.com. You can have a look at the site at that address. What we are trying to move towards now is the ringtone market. We have sourced someone to supply the polyphonic tones (but these are obviously a dwindling demand) but to save on costs and such, I've been asked to produce our realtones.

The essential aim of what i'm doing is to produce a list of tones for the site, which the customer will perhaps enter a tone 'code' into the request form. Ideally from there, this process can be automated. This is however, where I get a bit stuck as I'm simply not too clued up on what softwares and processes would need to be put in place for this to happen.

I'm assuming the online database of tones is a necessity, and my understanding is that if it is possible to link this up to WAPServe, they 'host' the downloading process and detect the customer handset from the WAP Push. Sadly thats where my understanding ends...i'm just looking for answers and really to be pointed in the right direction regarding what steps are needed!

Thanks again,
Andy

crowfield99
26th September 2006, 09:23 PM
Don't know if this will help you - but its worth a look:
http://www.itagg.com/

Ben
27th September 2006, 02:42 AM
Using a third party to provide the ringtone angle would probably be wise - perhaps a white label system where you receive a percentage of the premium rate shortcode revenue? The ringtone market is pretty saturated.

You're also going to need a licence from, and to remit royalties to, here: http://www.mcps-prs-alliance.co.uk/

Andy.C
27th September 2006, 10:13 AM
Hi again,

The licence from mcps prs is already obtained....which makes our need to get things going quite important as we are paying for a licence we currently aren't getting any use out of! We have sourced a provider of actualy MP3 full songs...and will just edit them ourselves into relevant ringtone file sizes and lengths.

Ben
27th September 2006, 11:20 AM
Have you had a play with wapserve yet, to find out exactly what it'll be able to do for you? Also, if you don't mind me asking, how do you plan to charge for the service - have you already obtained a premium rate shortcode?

Andy.C
28th September 2006, 12:45 PM
Ben,

WAPServe looks like it may well do the business. We actually have a contract agreement with the guy that owns it, although that is regarding another part of the business. Have a good working relationship with the guy, so he's quite helpful!

With regards to charging, we are simply a pay for what you get service. The customer simply goes on line, deposits money through our site (using Paypal) and will choose a tone. We will also roll out 'scratch card' top ups if you like similar to what you use to top up your phone credit, except these will be credits for ringtones (i.e a £1 card gets you two tones)

steve9025
30th September 2006, 03:00 AM
Ben,

WAPServe looks like it may well do the business. We actually have a contract agreement with the guy that owns it, although that is regarding another part of the business. Have a good working relationship with the guy, so he's quite helpful!

With regards to charging, we are simply a pay for what you get service. The customer simply goes on line, deposits money through our site (using Paypal) and will choose a tone. We will also roll out 'scratch card' top ups if you like similar to what you use to top up your phone credit, except these will be credits for ringtones (i.e a £1 card gets you two tones)
Until Andy uploads a photo of his phone for the rest of us to oggle, I don't think we should talk to him.

Andy.C
3rd October 2006, 12:28 AM
Yes, my phone is that fantastic that it can't be photographed...they haven't yet found a camera that doesn't break under the sheer brilliance of trying to capture my phone.

Happy Birthday Steve...Puberty will come soon...honest!

Ben
3rd October 2006, 10:19 AM
Lmao, boys, boys...

Best of luck with the venture!

steve9025
4th October 2006, 11:10 PM
Edited by Ben: Now now, let's not take this toooooo far. ;)

Andy.C
5th October 2006, 12:52 PM
Haha, i didn't even get a chance to read that message before you edited it ben. He's just upset because I beat him at badminton on monday. I even gave him a 8-0 head start and still won!

And a quick update on the actual point of the thread, things are moving along now, our friend at WAPServe is setting up the relevant stuff for us (although for a cut of profits obviously)....so thats good!