View Full Version : Is anyone still using one of these handsets?

Ben
31st March 2005, 12:29 AM
I must say, when I was creating this section it did occur to me that it would be of limited use. Surely, I thought, no one would still be using these handsets given the certain 'charm' they had.

But then I remembered. Hang on a second, I'm still using the e606! Sure, it's not a primary phone - it's not even close - but I recently resurrected it. If mine still works, all be it in the same slow and irritating way it did before, how many other peoples are still with us also?

So, here it is. At least we'll be able to look back and remember "Ah yes, these handsets were the start of the 3G revolution in the UK". Perhaps we'll even remember them fondly? Only time will tell...

Please feel free to add your own thoughts :)

Hands0n
21st April 2005, 04:27 PM
Buck Rogers ......... That is what strikes me most about the e606. It is ripped straight off the studio set. And how it attracted me to it at first sight when H3 launched way back then .......! I'd have persisted with it too had it not been for constant CS "issues", but that's another story altogether. I had great plans for these two on 3ToGo. The very notion of videocalling was highly appealing (but in the event turned out to be highly appalling at the time). Recent use for videocall shows some improvement, which I'd put down to overall network improvement since then. Using the e606, I held a solid 10 min videocall while passenger in a car on the M25 at a full on 70mph (it was a weekend!!). Subsequent trials with Moto A835 and E1000 were no better showing that the e606 can still cut the mustard.

I, too, resurrected the pair of e606 in 4Q2004 to re-assess the H3 network and service. I was impressed enough to go contract with a more up to date handset. But the e606 has been dragged out yet again this year to help a near-family-member check out the services in the Eastbourne area. And it was found to be very good there too. Generally, then, as H3's network improves in coverage the performance of the e606 improves too - especially if it does not need to keep hunting betwen 2G and 3G transmitters (a classic battery killer).

I'm a bit of a collector of tech things and so the e606 will occupy a space somewhere in this house indefinitely. One is completely mint, mine took a small drop and has minor scratches to its silvery outer casing . In time, then, these could well be collectors items.

Ladies and Gentlemen, gone but not entirely forgotten, I give you the NEC e606 :D

Biohead12
12th August 2005, 10:27 AM
Do you think that these handsets might make a bit in the future? I keep seeing original 1G mobiles every now and again. It was even in the paper last week too. An article on old mobiles. Well, I'll be keeping my 808N for time to come yet.

3GScottishUser
12th August 2005, 10:40 AM
Forget the old e606's, e808's etc....

How many e313's, e228's and a-835's do you see nowadays? They are scarce.

Remember that the above 3 models accounted for the majority of 3's pre-pay sales.

There appear to be plenty of Nokia 3310's still in use!!!

Biohead12
12th August 2005, 11:12 AM
Well.... Silly question get silly answer!!!
NECs are just too advanced for everone else. :eek:
But I still see quite a few A835s. It's mainly the building trade I see them in too.

3GScottishUser
12th August 2005, 11:27 AM
"But I still see quite a few A835s. It's mainly the building trade I see them in too."

Unlocked on 02 one would expect.

Ben
12th August 2005, 12:14 PM
But I still see quite a few A835s. It's mainly the building trade I see them in too.
Same actually... though the only 'building trade' person I ever spoke to about one hated it with a passion, but they must be holding on to them for a reason!

My e606 is lovingly packaged up, waiting to make a fortune one day! In about a hundred years it might be worth it's £400 pricetag :D

Biohead12
12th August 2005, 10:09 PM
"But I still see quite a few A835s. It's mainly the building trade I see them in too."

Unlocked on 02 one would expect.

I highly doubt it. O2 is the worst network I have EVER experienced in the past 3 years, and all those I know hate it too. Over the last month or two the most dominant networks are Vodafone are 3. They both have little problems with quality and keeping hold of calls, but O2 are abysmal. Their staff service in the shop is appaling and I find their call centre bouncing me around from one part to another. All I wanted to do was order some more stylii for my XDA!!

Back on topic: I think that is why we all keep these handsets. We all suspect they'll be worth something a years to come.

3GScottishUser
12th August 2005, 10:13 PM
My a-835 is now on 02 and when they supply me a new updated compatible SIM it will be on 02 3G's service. The SIM is free and worth asking for as they offer video calls for the same cost as voice for now on promotion.

Biohead12
13th August 2005, 10:11 AM
I'd never use O2 again after my experience. I'll get an MDA IV and bung in my 3 sim. It'd make my life sooo much easier.

Biohead12
13th August 2005, 11:00 AM
I'm also reviving my 808 as I speak. Going to give 3 the ultimate test.
A 6 minute video call to my mates A1000, without dropping. Thats if it gets a 3G signal though, which all my others do.

Hands0n
13th August 2005, 12:24 PM
I've done several >30 minute videocalls from 3 to Orange and of late from Vodafone to Orange and 3 during their free Videocall promotion!!

Biohead12
13th August 2005, 06:10 PM
Yep, the 808 is still going strong, handled it no problem.
Only gripe now is battery life :( and the fact that it does a good job impersonating a breeze block .

HutchRULEz
21st August 2005, 12:03 PM
You mean the 808 actually WORKED??!?!?! and didnt crash or drop the call!?!?
I don't know if even the network at my end is as good as yours now! I though it was very good, I may have to reconsider.

whatleydude
23rd August 2005, 10:06 AM
I've got a couple of NEC e606s sitting around in the 'mobile phone drawer' at home.

Way back from when I decided to give 3 a try..
..I ended up hating them due to the same old CS issues etc..
But I got to keep the two phones.

Maybe I'll hang onto them and give them to my kids so they can take them to the antiques roadshow in a generation's time..

lol
:)

3togone
1st October 2005, 09:03 PM
I was just going though an old browser bookmark file when I found this link:

http://www.nec.co.uk/e606_3G_Device.aspx

It covers all those early handsets.

dgilbert2
1st October 2005, 09:11 PM
Well we still use the e313 :o . Never leaves the house though as we use it for incoming video calls on a 3 pay SIM.

Marqnet
6th November 2005, 05:15 PM
I'd never use O2 again after my experience. I'll get an MDA IV and bung in my 3 sim. It'd make my life sooo much easier.

Ah ha is that why you bundled an O2 card when we did our little swap xda 4 9500 ..lol I thinks thats you by you sig and pic:) hi again..
I still have my NEC E606 and E616 also my old Motorola 8800 .. Keeping them for my evventual meuseum of communication or is that cos there resell value is zip... then again there are a couple of retro mobile sites reselling older type phones. i've got a nokia 6110 and 7110 that i use every now and then;)