View Full Version : Messenger on Mobiles - Hard Work!

3GScottishUser
26th September 2006, 09:55 PM
I have been trying both Agile and Microsoft's Windows Live Messenger service on my mobile lately and to be honest it's absolute torture.

IM services need a qwerty keyboard (or similar) to make communication worthwhile, otherwise IM on mobiles is little better than SMS.

The concept is very worthy, seeing who is on-line etc is great. Responding is a pain and having to refresh every so often to check status etc is poor.

The way IM services run in the background on a PC is a big attarction and when you can quickly reply via separate windows and with a real keyboard its a good alternative to voice calling especially if you are working on something else, but the same cannot be said for mobiles - yet.

Mobile manufacturers need to address the issues re IM services to make them worthwhile on mobile networks otherwise the novelty will soon wear off.

Hands0n
26th September 2006, 10:31 PM
I used Windows Messenger on my old Orange SPV-C500 several years back (at what cost, gawd knows!!) to see how functional it was. As you say, on a handset it is not entirely practical, mostly I would say down to the OS on the handset and how you navigate around.

However, that said, I could see the immediate appeal that IM would have, especially for the kids that live on it almost permanently when at home on the PC. While clunky, the ability for a short IM with someone is irresistable. I would not, however, want to hold a marathon chat session!

I'm not sure what the manufacturers can do given the physical restrictions of the average mobile handset. Only the likes of the TyTN hold the true solution with their inbuilt QWERTY keyboards. Other keyboard solutions are available but detract from the portability of the handset.

3GScottishUser
26th September 2006, 11:01 PM
Indeed, I recall a Nokia handset with a fold out qwerty keyboard, that might provide a solution?

whatleydude
27th September 2006, 09:35 AM
i've used Agile Messenger now for a couple of years and never had a problem with it..

Why don't you like it dude?

miffed
27th September 2006, 09:51 AM
You want to try it on a Pocket PC / WM5 device mate :)

it works just like it does on your PC , sits running in the background then as anyone signs in, or IM's you , you get a message tone and the relevant info flashes up on the screen in a simiar manner to SMS - offering you the choice to chat or ignore - if you miss it a notification Icon will appear in the relevant place

Really is a joy to use - obviously the slide out keyboard helps - but I have used it with the onscreen keyboard just as fluently

a lot of my freinds IM me instead of texting when they are at their computers now too

3GScottishUser
27th September 2006, 10:02 AM
Yes, thanks for that. A PDA or large format smartphone could be the solution for IM services.

On a standard sized phone it's very tricky to keep up with others who are using PC's. Having to constantly unlock the keypad etc does not make for ease of use either.

I think a PDA style device is worthy of some consideration for the added benefit of not only IM services but to view full web pages. Some of us are not as well sighted as we used to be :(

@NickyColman
3rd October 2006, 01:02 PM
Just a quick note;

After many years of tying with various handsets, I have eventually found the way to get the integrated chat client on my SonyEricsson working!!! WOO!! I can now talk to all my MSN/GoogleTalk contacts wherever whenever. There is no Java app involved. Its already buil into the handset itself!

Im over the moon! :D

Ben
3rd October 2006, 01:37 PM
I've also been trying the Nokia client via the Yamigo service to MSN. To say it works perfectly would be an overstatement, but the integration on the Nokia side is superb and I won't hesitate in saying properly implemented IM on mobile phones is the next 'killer app'.

Hands0n
3rd October 2006, 10:52 PM
............... properly implemented IM on mobile phones is the next 'killer app'.

Absolutely! The kids live on the stuff on the PC - if it can be made affordable on the Mobile (not a Premium Service) there will be a few shekels to be made.

teclo
11th October 2006, 03:07 PM
I've been using Agile messenger for sometime now and don't have any problems with it.

I have been known to use it in the pub drunk, with a drink in one hand sending obscene messages to friends to try and coax them out to join us in the pub. The secret with it, as with texting, is to pre-load your T9 dictionary with all the words required.

They seem to find it quite suprising that you are talking to them via messenger/yahoo/jabber from somewhere other than your computer.