View Full Version : Pondering Three...

3g-g
28th September 2006, 11:57 PM
Not pondering as to whether I should take a Three contract, but as to what the company is doing with itself. I don't know if that's why Three seems to become the largest focus of a lot of forums, but they do seem to give out the least information as to what direction they're heading in!

There was the news a few months ago when HWL announced the losses that their mobile arm, Three, was causing them, not that they seemed bothered having pumped millions of quid into H3G in various countries without making any real money yet. 2008 they said they'd break even, that right? It's still a while off anyway, so no matter. Over the last few days WePay has been getting a bit of a roasting with the other 4 making their PAYG offerings hugely more inviting, Vodafone's latest stumping everyone! So it's had me thinking as to what they're going to do, and I'd like to hear your suggestions and ideas also!

Here's what I think. Three have been flying under the radar for a while now, the other 4 have been up to all sorts, from launching free broadband, to buying up ISPs and hooking up with ISPs to re-sell their own brand of Broadband. Three don't seem to be interested in that route, and I suppose having 12 million less customers than each of the other networks why would you want to invest in creating Three the ISP? Now, around the festive period all the operators get rather competitive and I think Three will have something waiting in the wings for us all, my thoughts are a standard all you eat and text call package, a-la your current ISP.

You'll pay £25 a month and you can talk and text as much as you want. And if you want to use your handset as a modem you pay, say, £50 a month, unlimited calls and texts and the same with the data. How does that sound? As I say, it's just an idea that I had, Three have been quiet for too long and I think it's about time they got up, dusted themselves down and came out for a fight with the big boys! They've nothing to lose and everything to gain!

Ben
29th September 2006, 02:18 AM
I think your predictions as to the first flat rate mobile operator in the UK could possibly be correct. After all, Three are a media company now, so the calls and texts part need not even be a core part of their business. A flat rate tariff that then dazzles the user with well-implemented music downloads, TV and other services could be a winner in the mobile space and one of the only remaining ways that Three has any hope of catching up with the competition in terms of subscriber numbers.

It's wishful thinking to be sure, but lets face it - Three have the least to lose by going down this road, where as the other operators have a great, great deal at stake.

Hands0n
29th September 2006, 07:49 AM
They still have not dealt with their utterly dire Customer Services and in that respect it really does not matter what they come up with - their reputation is well set in stone and the biggest cost to their business reputation [and ARPU] remains unchanged. Unless and until 3 get the CS sorted out all their attempts at increasing business will suffer or fail.

Even NTL have learned this (finally!) having made a statement that they are going to resolve their CS issues before re-launching under the Virgin brand - I can't help but think that Sir Richard has had something to do with that.

3GScottishUser
29th September 2006, 04:32 PM
After reading comments in the Hutchison Annual report about 3 UK blaming 'poor quality customers' for lower than expected income and high churn levels I was surprised to see that they dont appear to have learned any lessons.

CPW are now offering an LG U880 on Video Talk and Text 700 on a 12 month contract with 100% cashback!!

Offer Details:

FREE LG U880 (Black)
FREE line rental for 12 months (Redemption)
400 inclusive anytime x-net minutes
250 inclusive text messages
25 xnet video minutes & £5 inclusive downloads
25 xnet picture / video messages
Free next day Delivery

Is the above the kind of deal that is likely to deliver high spending, high quality customers? A free phone, free calls, free downloads, free texts etc etc.... and 3 Uk will be paying CPW about £100 per customer just to give the handset and the service away!!

Has the poor LG U880 now found its level as a giveaway and more importantly is this all 3 can get for their service?

If the above is what they have to do to acquire new customers Mr Shing would be well advised to invest in something with some prospect of revenues!!

A good 2nd handset/deal for making calls to mobile networks maybe?

Alio
29th September 2006, 08:18 PM
(3g-g) -They've nothing to lose and everything to gain!

Customer service/relations need addressing first and foremost........flat rate is what we all want for our phone usage, and I can see 3 probably being the first to offer it.........however what happens if the customers don't buy into it!.......what then 3? - your running out of options to attract new business as it is, throwing money at problems doesn't solve them!

Plus what will happen to 3 if all the other networks start to offer flat rate......
3 will die......coz they won't have anything else left to offer........and lets face it if 3 do offer it the rest will follow.

In my opinion 3 are already dead......they just don't know it themselves.