PDA

View Full Version : Outgoing mail server settings

Alio
6th October 2006, 09:23 PM
Hi All, could anyone point me in the right direction on how to obtain the correct "Outgoing mail server settings" for use on the voda network.

Have set up my n93 phone for email........receiving emails works fine on it......just cant send at present due to incorrect outgoing mail configuration on my part.

Thanks in advance!:)

3g-g
6th October 2006, 09:36 PM
I take it you're doing it through POP? Does your ISP or email provider not supply the settings for your outgoing mail?

Alio
6th October 2006, 09:42 PM
I take it you're doing it through POP? Does your ISP or email provider not supply the settings for your outgoing mail?

Yep using pop, and tried using my mail server outgoing setting, but it's not sending........so thought I may have to use a speciffic Vodafone "mail." setting?

getti
6th October 2006, 09:48 PM
yeah vodafone only seem to allow SMTP through their own URL.

its 1 of the following (not sure what one)

smtp.vodafone.net
smtp.vodafone.co.uk
smtp.vodafone.co.uk

One of them is the right one

Alio
6th October 2006, 10:22 PM
yeah vodafone only seem to allow SMTP through their own URL.

its 1 of the following (not sure what one)

smtp.vodafone.net
smtp.vodafone.co.uk
smtp.vodafone.co.uk

One of them is the right one

Tried all those......still no joy:confused:

getti
6th October 2006, 10:27 PM
mail.vodafone.net

Might be that 1

Hands0n
6th October 2006, 10:29 PM
Have you tried Vodfone's OTA configuration for the N93 here --> http://www.vodafonehelp.co.uk/GettingStarted.php?ModelID=171&e=0#

Alio
6th October 2006, 10:43 PM
Have you tried Vodfone's OTA configuration for the N93 here --> http://www.vodafonehelp.co.uk/GettingStarted.php?ModelID=171&e=0#

Did the OTA......and your last suggestion "getti".....still no chuffin joy:confused:

3g-g
6th October 2006, 11:05 PM
What's the outgoing, a smtp one eh? Have you tried just any old SMTP mail server address?

Alio
6th October 2006, 11:20 PM
What's the outgoing, a smtp one eh? Have you tried just any old SMTP mail server address?

Tried my own mail server address using (mail.) + (smtp.) + all suggestions from getti using both (mail.) + (smtp.) + doubled checked my user and password aswell.

3g-g
6th October 2006, 11:28 PM
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Alio
6th October 2006, 11:43 PM
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Yep did a soft reboot.......it's got to be something simple, never had to much trouble setting up email on phones before.......cant understand why this one is giving me gip!

Hands0n
7th October 2006, 12:28 AM
Have you tried a call to Vodafone's CS? It sounds like you need a dab of 2nd line support on this!

3g-g
7th October 2006, 12:40 AM
Yep did a soft reboot.......it's got to be something simple, never had to much trouble setting up email on phones before.......cant understand why this one is giving me gip!

LoL! That was my sarcastic tech support line! I've heard a dry cloth wiped over the SIM is worth a try too...

Hands0n
7th October 2006, 01:06 AM
Actually ....... a cloth dipped in Meths is a better bet for SIM cleaning. It removes all and any residue, the bare metal of the contacts is clinically clean.

Alio's smtp server settings thing is weird. If the standard Vodafone ones don't work. I'm wondering if its a handset issue, hence the suggestion of contacting the CS team.

Just glad I don't do eMail from the handset - tried it on a number of prevous occasions, and didn't enjoy the experience.

maxspank
7th October 2006, 01:40 AM
send.vodafone.net

Alio
7th October 2006, 12:06 PM
send.vodafone.net

Thanks for that "maxspank" it now works, yippeee:D :D :D

And thanks to everyone else who tried helping.......cheers guy's;)

vfDeac27
11th October 2006, 01:24 PM
glad you got it sorted out, it's often the case of using the send.vodafone.net outgoing setting rather than the smtp.vodafone.net.

For future reference, here are the generic mobile settings for Vodafone Mail if anyone ever needs to configure their handset manually:

APN (Access Point Name):
Contract (Postpay) Customers: internet
PayT (Prepay) Customers: pp.vodafone.co.uk

Username: web
Password: web

Outgoing/Sending server: Preferred: smtp.vodafone.net (try send.vodafone.net if this fails to work)
Incoming/ Receiving server: Preferred: imap.vodafone.net or pop.vodafone.net

Protocol: Preferred: imap4 or pop3
Receiving Port: 143 (imap accounts) or 110 (pop accounts) (match this information up to mirror the protocol selected)

If you want a step-by-step manual guide of where to go on a handset menu then it's always possible to contact Vodafone Customer Services by email (www.vodafone.co.uk) where we have these guides on our systems.

I'd also recommend visiting the manuafacturer websites (e.g. Nokia, who have very helpful facilities that allow you to enter your details online then send the settings out to your handset in the form of a text which saves your settings automatically.

If anyone has any problems with email set-ups please let me know on this forum and I'll be happy to take it up with Vodafone's technical department

crowfield99
14th October 2006, 03:30 PM
Just incase anyone else needs this in the future:

Q. How can I configure Microsoft Outlook Express to access Vodafone Mail? A. To configure Microsoft Outlook Express:
Open Microsoft Outlook Express on your PC.
In the Main window, from the Tools menu, select Accounts.
Click the Mail tab. The Mail window appears.
Click the Add button, then select Mail
In the Display Name field, enter your name. Click Next.
In the Internet Email Address field, enter your Vodafone Mail email address. Click Next.
In the Email Server Names page, complete the following:
In the 'My Incoming mail server is a' drop down menu, select POP3.
In the 'Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server' text box, type pop.vodafone.net
In the 'Outgoing mail (SMTP) server' text box, type smtp.vodafone.net.
Click Next
In the Internet Mail Logon page, complete the following:
In the Account name text box, type your Vodafone Mail username.
In the Password text box, type your Vodafone Mail password.
Select the 'Remember password' check box for the system to remember your password.
Select the 'My Server requires authentication' check box for the system to authenticate your server.
Click Finish.Your Microsoft Outlook Express is configured to receive email, voice and fax messages. Q. How can I configure Microsoft Outlook to access Vodafone Mail? A. To configure Microsoft Outlook:
Open Outlook on your computer
From the Tools Menu select Email Accounts
In the Email field, select Add a new email account.
Click Next.
Select the IMAP option to connect to an IMAP email server to download email and synchronize mailbox folders.
Click Next.
In the User Information field, complete the following:
In the 'Your Name' field, type your name.
In the 'Email Address' field, type your Vodafone Mail email address.
In the Logon Information field, complete the following:
In the 'User Name' field, type your Vodafone Mail username.
In the 'Password' field, type your Vodafone Mail password.
Select the Remember password check box for the system to remember your password.
In the Server Information field, complete the following:
In the Incoming mail server (IMAP) field, type imap.vodafone.net
In the Outgoing mail server (SMTP) field, type smtp.vodafone.net
Click Next.
The Congratulations window appears displaying a successful setup message. Your Microsoft Outlook is configured to receive email, voice and fax messages. Q. Can I use a POP3/IMAP4 client to access Vodafone Mail? A. To configure a POP3/IMAP4 email client:
Access the mail configuration window on your PC.
In the Server Information field complete the following:
In the Incoming mail (POP3) text box, type pop.vodafone.net
In the Outgoing server (SMTP) text box, type smtp.vodafone.net
In the Incoming Mail Server field, complete the following:
In the Account name text box, type your Vodafone Mail username.
In the Password text box, type your Vodafone Mail password. Note: For any additional configuration information consult the help file in your email client. Q. How can I send messages from Vodafone Mail if my mail client does not support SMTP authentication? A. To send messages, you need to configure your outgoing server (SMTP) to be send.vodafone.net