View Full Version : 3 - Good or Bad?

JClan
8th October 2006, 10:03 PM
My husband got an N80 last week on 3. He seems to like it ok.

I on the other hand ordered a 6280 - disaster! :mad: Couldn't call out, text or receive calls even with a full 3g signal, then it would work then not work again. Since found out there is a fault with this phone, pity as I liked it.

I found 3 though to be very unhelpful, they would not replace the phone even though it was new, only send for a repair (gezz its a brand new phone!-others replace). They would not switch to a different phone either. So I cancelled the contract with a charge of 1 days line rental and for the 5 mins of calls I could make and a few texts and the admin charge. :(

If they had offered a change of phone I would have kept the contract. Do they not want customers?:confused:

Are 3 as bad as what I have been reading, I don't know if I should either take a new contract on K800i or just stay with O2.

Just glad to get that all out!
Thanks, The confused and annoyed one

Hands0n
8th October 2006, 10:27 PM
Hello JClan, welcome to Talk3G, hope you enjoy your stay with us.

It is a very difficult question that you ask - and pretty much in the eye of the beholder. For sure, there is a lot right with 3, but there is some fundamentally seriously flawed areas of 3 that their management [it is apparent] have absolutely no intention of putting right. Their Customer Services (sic) is probably their Achilles heel, and one day it will prove to be the source of their undoing. It is an utter shambles, how can any CS allow you to be made so very unhappy is beyond me. Especially when others, such as Vodafone and T-Mobile, can get it so right!

3 have a policy of repair; after three attempts they'll replace or sometimes change for another model. But you've got to go through the pain of the three returns (hanging around for their courier to collect/deliver like you've got stuff all else to do with your life!).

The 6280 is a very good handset - the trick, with 3, appears to be getting hold of one that has been properly set up. The early 6280 firmware was buggy as hell. Later revisions have sorted out almost all of the problems. 3 were out with it first and took the lions share of grief - and took longer to remedy. The likes of T-Mobile followed, and got the software mostly right. Mine [with T-Mobile] hasn't missed a beat!

If you're walking away from 3, you may do as well to cast your net out a bit to see what is on offer elsewhere that may suit you better than O2, if at all.

I'd suggest a look at T-Mobile's Flext tariff - also with Web N Walk if you fancy some mobile internet also. It is very keenly priced, and great value once you go to Flext 35 or above.

Vodafone are doing all sorts of things with their tariffs, and depending on your usage their Stop The Clock is an absolute steal. Their contracts allow you to perform a degree of personalisation - not sure I favour that amount of complexity, but some will love it. Also if you travel around internationally Voda's Passport is excellent value, helping erode the cost of international roaming, bringing it to some kind of reasonable level.

Personally I find O2's tariffs a bit dull and uninspiring - probably because it does not fit my usage patterns.

Hope this helps some. I'm sure that other Talk3G members will offer you their thoughts also. We're not very backwards in coming forwards lol :)

Ben
8th October 2006, 10:43 PM
Welcome to Talk3G!

I'm almost entirely in agreement with what Hands0n has said. While I increasingly make acquaintances with people who are having a positive experience of the Three media company, it's T-Mobile's Flext tariffs that steal the show for innovation and still Vodafone, IMHO, that carry the flag for coverage and reliability. Orange is a fine choice of course if you should value their light-user free broadband offering.

Basically what I'm trying to say is don't go with 3 just because. Competition is good out there at the moment, so take advantage of it and try and find yourself something that really suits what you want to use your mobile for.

JClan
9th October 2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the replies :)

I am just going to leave it for now as TBH there are no other 3g phones that really appeal to me. I will hold onto my crappy Motorola L6 for another few months and see whats around Dec/Jan.

I will stick around to see whats happening in the 3g world and wish the time away until I see one I like.

Thanks again:)