View Full Version : web n walk plus/max questions?

wonger
10th October 2006, 01:45 PM
Hi, ive just signed up here as im interested in getting mobile internet and was wondering how these t mobile deals compare with others, i have a few questions as follows:

1. Do both these services allow instant messaging use?

2. Is there any way to have just one data card contract and have 2 laptops running the internet in the same room?

3. Did the old web n walk pro @ £19.99 month really not allow instant messaging? is it still available to buy?

details of web n walk plus & max below:

Web 'n' walk Plus
(laptop)
Unlimited internet access plus
FREE HotSpot pass for the
length of your contract
(worth £10 per month)
£29 / month
(12 month contract)

Web 'n' walk Max
(laptop)
Unlimited internet access,
including Voice Over IP plus
FREE HotSpot pass
(worth £10 per month)
£44 / month

Terms and conditions

Data card plans

Subject to connection to Web 'n' walk Plus (laptop) or Web 'n' Walk Max (laptop). Minimum term contract and credit check applies. Compatible laptop required. Subject to network [3G and HSDPA] coverage. To ensure a high quality of service for all our customers, a fair use policy applies.

Web 'n' walk Plus plans (laptop)

T-Mobile defines fair use as total UK data use (both sent and received) of up to 3 GB per month. T-Mobile may contact customers who exceed 3GB of data to ask them to reduce their usage. If data usage is not reduced following a request from T-Mobile and/or for customers on Web 'n' Walk Plus where use of Voice over Internet Protocol is detected, notice may be given, after which network protection controls may be applied which will result in a reduced speed of transmission.

Web 'n' walk Max plans (laptop)

T-Mobile defines fair use as total UK data use (both sent and received) of up to 10 GB per month. T-Mobile may contact customers who exceed 10GB of data to ask them to reduce their usage. If data usage is not reduced following a request from T-Mobile and/or for customers on Web 'n' Walk Max, notice may be given, after which network protection controls may be applied which will result in a reduced speed of transmission.

Free HotSpot pass

Available until 31 March 2007.
Subject to connection to Web 'n' Walk Plus or Web 'n' Walk Max price plans.
Minimum term contract and credit check apply.
Subscription provides unlimited use (subject to the following fair use policy) of T-Mobile HotSpots in the UK and 300 minutes a month to use at BT Openzone Hotspots in the UK.
Customers who make excessive use of the service may be asked to reduce their use. If usage continues to be excessive, T-Mobile may move these customers to another plan. T-Mobile currently considers 'excessive' use to be 30GB or more of data per month (sent and received). We reserve the right to vary this policy, but will notify you if we do.
Subject to a single, immediately repeatable, session of 6 hours in duration.
You will lose eligibility for your free subscription if you move to another price plan. You may lose eligibility if you upgrade or otherwise renew your minimum term contract.
HotSpot terms and conditions apply.
Username and password are non-transferable.

(12 month contract)

Ben
10th October 2006, 02:24 PM
Hello, welcome to Talk3G.

I have no experience of these plans, but will answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

1) Yes, T-Mobile have lifted restrictions on Instant Messaging.

2) Yes, you can run multiple computers from the one connection if the setup is similar to Vodafone's which I believe it is. You do this by inserting the datacard into one laptop and then, using the network setup wizard in Windows XP, setting up Internet Connection Sharing on the port other machines will connect to. This, for example, could be the laptops ethernet port which will give itself the IP 192.168.0.1 (I think...) and automatically assign local addresses to any other devices which connect.

3) AFAIK there was no Instant Messaging allowed on any T-Mobile Web n Walk package previously. The old packages do not appear to be available to buy now, they have been replaced with the new ones.

All the best,
Ben

wonger
10th October 2006, 03:53 PM
So would these two laptops have to be wired together with a network cable or can this be done wireless some how? im just thinking about the 3gb monthly allowance now as well, as ive noticed ive downloaded & uploaded a total of 100 million bytes so far today and ive only been brousing around and if im correct 3gb is only 1073 million bytes? so i doubt the 3gb would last me very long probably less than 10 days or so, so this isnt going to be cheap is it!

:(

Cheers for the info

Ben
10th October 2006, 08:10 PM
AFAIK you can bind ICS to your wireless card just as you would do a wired one - I guess it's one of those things you'll encounter and play with when you try and set up ICS for the first time. I've only tried it wired, but the WAP on the network was then allowing wireless clients to connect. Yep, the network - I ran a whole network off a Vodafone 3G Broadband card last month!

By my calculations, by the way, 100m bytes is about 95MB. You'll be fine ;)

wonger
11th October 2006, 10:01 AM
Ben your quite right 1073,741,824 bytes is infact just 1 gb, so it looks as if the 3gb allowance would be fine in lasting around 30 days, i will go and stand in the corner with me dunce hat on now!

:o

Cheers

baggyburns
2nd November 2006, 04:22 PM
Hi Wonger, Ben,

To confirm, is web and walk totally unrestricted access to the internet or a "walled garden" service?

I ask as i am approching the end of my o2 contract and I am looking around for a better deal. The £7.50 a month for unlimited access sounds like an absolute steal if it is unrestricted.

Also, could I use web n walk through an opera browser instead of the interface that t mobile supply?

Thanks!

Ben
2nd November 2006, 05:48 PM
Hello baggyburns, welcome to Talk3G :)

Web n Walk isn't a walled garden scenario, no. Now I'm not saying certain ports wont be blocked, and you certainly wont be able to receive incoming connections from the Internet (ie to run a server on the connection) but you'll be able to access whatever content you want.

Hands0n will have a better answer to this than me, but AFAIK you can use the data on your handset through whatever application you wish so long as it isn't for VoIP.

lin3gux
2nd November 2006, 08:30 PM
Ive just joined the web n walk plan at £29. On this plan they do block instant messaging msn, yahoo etc. They also block streaming videos.
There are ways around it, for example you can easily use msn online web messenger, that works fine. Other routes you can go down is by going through a proxy, ssh works so you could create a tunnel and run it through there.
Google messaging through googlemail works fine also as it goes over http.

If you dont have access to those you would be better off going for the £44 package and have access the above.

Ben
2nd November 2006, 09:03 PM
Hello lin3gux, welcome to Talk3G :D

You're referring to the datacard service, yes? Not an on-handset service.

All the same, they block you from using MSN? I'd not heard that this was the case previously :\ Just that it wasn't permitted before the T&C's changed.

yeager
13th November 2006, 11:51 AM
Hi!!!

I'm interesting by "Web'n'walk" and its fair use policy. How T-mobile can restrict video streaming and download? Do handsets have a client already set up? Is it from the server that T-Mobile block all these services?

Thx

Arnaud

Ben
13th November 2006, 01:25 PM
Hi, welcome to Talk3G.

It is my belief that T-Mobile don't block the services that they describe as not permitted in their Terms and Conditions, they are simply not supposed to be used and could result in T-Mobile being displeased with you. Provided you stay within the fair usage transfer cap of your chosen plan there's probably not too great a risk of angering them.