View Full Version : We know where you are and what you're doing!

3g-g
11th October 2006, 01:41 AM
O2 are due to punt out some revised Ts&Cs to it's customers, which could possibly get you out of a contract if you we're desperate! You'll need to be canny however, so read carefully!

O2 is adding an insert into its next bill to customers to make them aware of recent changes to its terms and conditions. These changes extend the information O2 is allowed to gather and archive to include the location, length, and times of calls.

O2 had previously posted this information (http://www.o2.co.uk/termsconditions/yourairtimecontract) on its website, but some punters were incorrectly informed that only new customers would be affected.

To clarify the situation, the insert will be included in the next billing cycle.

Customers who object to the changes have little option to do anything about it, as the changes clearly state: "Please note by using the service you will be deemed to have accepted these terms and conditions." ®

From The Register. (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/10/o2_caves_on_t_and_c/)

Now I'd take from that, if you didn't use your phone from the day you recieve your bill containing the insert, called O2 (from another phone) and told them you weren't happy with the change in T&C, then O2 would have to cancel your contract. Anyone think any different?

Hands0n
11th October 2006, 07:23 AM
That could possibly be seen to be an unfair T&C in terms of acceptance of terms and conditions. It would have to be challenged, but I reckon theres a degree of unfairness in there.

Of course, you could always send off for a free O2 PAYG SIM and phone them up to cancel from that - rubbing a large degree of salt into the wound.

On the other hand - this is nothing that most/all of the other mobile ops do. T-Mobile, for instance, recently published a paper about the habits of their customers. Nothing specific about the individual, but they have a data warehouse of stored mobile information that they drilled down into to produce stats and stuff. The Reg has a link to that article on the same page as the one above .....

Scary? Not really, the potential is there for this or a future government to request that data - the Police can and do use it already in some cases. In time I think we will have to just get used to this kind of tracking data being routinely used. Not that I accept or agree but unless there was a large scale civil revolution this naturally passive nation will allow its use, albeit begrudgingly.