View Full Version : The 'Other' Site

getti
20th April 2005, 12:28 PM
I mentioned this to Ben last night on MSN. Someone on there forum was asking for help on the 'Wallpaper Bug' for the Nokia 6630.

For those of you that dont know what it is, look at the picture in the Gallery and then look at it as your wallpaper. The image is quite blurry (sorry to those of you who didnt notice and now do :P)

All this person asked was where was the software that fixes this. I posted a link to my downloads area where the software can be downloaded for free and of course the domain name was full of *'s even though they were going to allow it.

Then when i changed the name to have spaces in so that the URL can be seen they just deleted it. So i sent him an email with the website URL (Todayon3g.co.uk) and within minutes he got back to me thanking me for my help.

Why do the 'other' site block ANY other URLS? Its got me thinking its because they dont want people to know there are other sites about :rolleyes:

Ben
20th April 2005, 01:01 PM
Well, I wont make any specific judgements, but what I will say is that sites with a commercial interest will always put cash before customers. If you're posting something that somehow conflicts with their commercial interests then I guess it's understandable why it would get removed.

Luckily, Talk3G.co.uk doesn't have any commercial interests. All that matters to me is that someone asking or searching for help here finds it quickly and easily - if that's via a link to another website then so be it.

getti
20th April 2005, 01:30 PM
Im the same with my site. All it costs me is the £12 hosting and thats good when i spend more on other hobbies

Jon3G
20th April 2005, 01:40 PM
I know its a joke on the "other site" All they care about is the cash, but soon that will fail and people will see the site for what it is.

I can remember a few months back when someone posted about it being commercial. Thats when it got me thinking, but the abuse that guy got

maven
20th April 2005, 06:12 PM
As far as I'm concerned, as many people as possible need to be told about the way that place is run.

First let me say that as an information website it is without peer - the wealth of information available to users is second to none. The user reviews, for example, certainly would help some people make up their minds whether to buy a particular phone or not.

The problem they have is with the forum areas, or rather the way they moderate it.

Now I'm not someone who speaks without any knowledge of running a forum - I've been an admin on a similar Vbulletin site (which currently has 8000 active members) for 4 years, so I know what I'm talking about.

First of all there's no way to contact the admins. They've disabled the Private Messaging service which is very odd. I made a respectful post asking why this was. What happened? It was removed without warning. I emailed the site owner to ask why - he did not reply. I've spoken to many MANY others who have had the same treatment.

They don't allow links to other sites - fine, I can understand their reasoning but posts are removed without notice.

It is a VERY strict regime, something which will put off a lot of people. OK they claim to have 18,000 members but how many of those have ever posted? How many actually CAN post (seeing as they seem to be so quick to remove people's posting rights)? All I ever see there are the same 100 or so people making the same threads.

On the other hand talk3g.co.uk is a breathe of fresh air. The place is a lot more friendly and the admins actually talk to you (the site owner actually invited me to chat to him in msn today - can you imagine Mr M from 'over there' doing that?).

I want to encourage as many people from over there to start using this site especially if they find the style of moderating on that site to be very stifling.

Just to let you all know, I used to run www.3hell.com and in case you were wondering where it went, my contract with 3 ended so I did not feel justified in keeping it open.

But hey, it'll be back ;)

Ben
20th April 2005, 06:31 PM
Thanks for your veiws all.

Your opinions are welcomed and valued, but I think it's best that I close this thread at this point.

Again, thanks for your contributions.