View Full Version : globe icon always on?

godhn
11th October 2006, 02:36 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm new! lol...

Ok, I just received my Sony Ericson k800i mobile on the 3 network. It's my first mobile on 3 (o2 forgot that think about customer loyalty, so i left), its my first SE phone, and it's my first 3G thingy.... so there's a lot to learn!

First question... a globe icon has appeared on the top left of my mobile screen. Mostly lit, sometimes not.

Is it supposed to stay there all the time? Cos it seems to be. (ive switched the phone off and back on a couple of times and it's still there). I've checked "running apps" and nothing is running.

Is it sposed to do that? I'm just worried this is costing me money!!

Thanks for any help/info

Cheers

Dan

3g-g
11th October 2006, 03:28 PM
Dan, welcome to Talk3G! Glad to see you've joined us in the joy that is 3G! ;)

iirc, and someone can correct me if I'm not right, the little globe icon represents a 3G service area, the last SE handset I had on Orange had a little fan shaped icon that changed between open and half open, representing 3G and 2G coverage respectively. I'm pretty sure the globe icon on your handset represents the same, so not to worry. If you're not in a call, not doing any internet surfing or accessing the web using your mobile as a modem there's nothing to worry about.

I'm sure one of the guys with the k800i will pop their head around the door and confirm for you!

Enjoy your stay with us and be sure to keep us updated on your 3G experience! I'll expect to see an entry in the photo competition for this month from yourself using the great camera on the k800i!

G.

getti
11th October 2006, 06:58 PM
If the icon is a proper globe then that means GPRS is in use.... maybe you have the ads viewer on still? Dont worry its still free.

If you mean the little icon with like rings of blue thats by the signal, that means you are getting 3G coverage and can make video calls etc...

Hope this helps

godhn
11th October 2006, 07:10 PM
thanks guys.

getti - yup, still got the ad thingy on the bottom. How do I turn that off if I wanted to?!

then again, as long as it's still free it doesnt really matter :)

all i need now is friends with video phones!!

getti
11th October 2006, 07:55 PM
Settings > Display > Instant Viewer > Disable

crowfield99
14th October 2006, 03:23 PM
Settings > Display > Instant Viewer > Disable

Drats! Looks like 3 have disabled switching this off on mine :confused:

Ben
14th October 2006, 04:02 PM
You're kidding me? That's obscene. I honestly in a million years wouldn't stand for having that on any phone. It's one giant step too far in the branding arena.

getti
14th October 2006, 10:20 PM
Its definatly available to remove. Look under settings for something called Instant Viewer.... there will be an option to disable it

crowfield99
15th October 2006, 04:02 PM
Ah, found it now. Was under General!

Cheers :cool:

SueSue
26th October 2006, 09:27 PM
Cheers,
I just got a K610i and that ad bar was very irritating. I googled it and found your advice, so joined this forum with the sole purpose of saying thank you!!!!!!!

you have made me advert free - yipeeee! x

getti
26th October 2006, 10:12 PM
THanks for letting me know :D

I have to say this little tip has helped quite a few people so it's nice to see every 1 of my 1000 posts has some use

Welcome to Talk3G by the way

crowfield99
27th October 2006, 12:07 AM
Cheers,
I just got a K610i and that ad bar was very irritating. I googled it and found your advice, so joined this forum with the sole purpose of saying thank you!!!!!!!

you have made me advert free - yipeeee! x

Welcome!

Not much these guys don't know they sure do ROCK! :cool:

Ben
29th October 2006, 01:04 AM
That's very nice of you SueSue, come and pester us any time you like!

Welcome to Talk3G.

Hands0n
29th October 2006, 08:23 AM
Ooooh ... Ooooo .... and tell all your friends too :D