View Full Version : Vodafone Dumps CPW

3GScottishUser
12th October 2006, 01:46 PM
From BBCi (12/10/2006):

Carphone knocked by Vodafone move

Shares in Carphone Warehouse have fallen by 12% after Vodafone said the retailer would no longer sell its mobile phone contracts.
Vodafone is giving rival Phones4U an exclusive contract to sell monthly phone subscriptions, an arrangement it currently shares with Carphone.

Carphone, which will still sell pre-pay connections, said the change would not harm its financial position.

Vodafone said the move would reduce the amount it pays in commissions.

'Commercial logic'

The change in arrangements will come into effect on 30 November.

Carphone Warehouse has a larger retail presence than Phones4U and the deal is a major boost for the latter, recently sold by its founder John Caudwell to two private equity firms for £1.46bn.

About 40% of Vodafone's network connections are sold on a contract basis, typically over a year to 18 months.

Carphone Warehouse will continue to retain its core customer values of independence and impartiality

Vodafone said its decision to consolidate this business with Phones4U reflected the fact that the bulk of these sales now took place through its own stores and via the internet.

It was looking to save money on its remaining sales through third-party retailers, a spokesman said, particularly as sale commissions had risen sharply in recent years.

"There is a commercial logic to this," a spokesman said.

He added that Phones4U was popular with the 16-34 age group, a market which the firm was keen to target.

'Core values'

Vodafone would not comment on speculation that it was also looking to consolidate sales of pre-paid connections with a single retailer.

Carphone said it did not expect the lost contract to affect its profit expectations this year or in future years.

Phones 4U has 384 stores in the UK

"Carphone Warehouse will continue to retain its core customer values of independence and impartiality, and offer customers the most appropriate network proposition," the retailer said.

Vodafone's decision comes a day after Carphone Warehouse revealed it had won the auction to buy AOL's UK business.

Carphone Warehouse has more than two and half million phone customers through its Talk Talk service and competes with Vodafone in France through its Virgin mobile phone joint venture.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6043740.stm

Ben
12th October 2006, 03:29 PM
A little crazy if you ask me. There will be plenty of Carphone-loyal customers who will be told to switch to another network come their next upgrade!

I do, however, welcome Vodafone's apparent success at direct sales.

3GScottishUser
12th October 2006, 04:32 PM
A case of CPW getting too big for their boots maybe?

Vodafone and others must be getting fed up paying over the odds to effectively win back churn business and this looks like the first significant step to sideline the big retail chains.

This is not new really as T-Mobile and 3 have been heading down the same path for a few months. Mr Durnstone may be in the process of killing the gosse that laid the golden eggs for his company in the UK.

Hands0n
12th October 2006, 07:24 PM
Personally, I do not use retailers - preferring instead to stick with the mobops own stores or do my business online. I know that I will not get the incentives such as cashbacks and free Sony PSP or Apple iPods but I am buying a phone to use and be supported on. Not gimmicky tantalisers that mean cutbacks at the back-end after-sales support where, to me, it matters most.

I'm staggered at the choice of P4U, even if I occasionally browse the stores (Link and CPW) I almost never set foot in P4U - but then I'm not in their age demographic so maybe thats why they appeal to me like a damp weekend. Still, my dealings with Vodafone in-store and on-line have all been very successful and pleasant, removing any incentive to look elsewhere.

E616Vboy123
13th October 2006, 03:34 PM
There will be plenty of Carphone-loyal customers who will be told to switch to another network come their next upgrade!

I didnt realise there was such a thing:p

miffed
13th October 2006, 09:06 PM
I didnt realise there was such a thing:p

Yeah , I reckon there are more than a few ! - half the people I know (that are not clued up) consider the epitome of finding a good mobile deal is simply to go into carphone warehouse and ask for one

Cracks me up when they boast of their mediocre / poor deals as if they have just found the secret to eternal life or something :D

Ben
13th October 2006, 09:37 PM
Yeah , I reckon there are more than a few ! - half the people I know (that are not clued up) consider the epitome of finding a good mobile deal is simply to go into carphone warehouse and ask for one

Cracks me up when they boast of their mediocre / poor deals as if they have just found the secret to eternal life or something :D
You're spot on there, and once CPW make a sale they aggressively follow up to make sure they get you for an upgrade 12-18 months down the line.

3g-g
14th October 2006, 01:57 AM
You're spot on there, and once CPW make a sale they aggressively follow up to make sure they get you for an upgrade 12-18 months down the line.

Well all I can say is, my sister-in-law could of purchased a new contract through Orange direct, however, she's chosen a 12 month contract (on Orange) with 12 months cashback, so she has no line rental at all!!, 500 mins and 250 texts included (as long as she posts her bill) thru CPWH... No wonder folk still shop with the 3rd parties, even though it's a loss to the network in terms of commision! Why would you want to shop nework direct when you can have 12 months for free? That just goes to show how much the networks are paying the re-sellers in terms of commision for new contracts!
Surely it'll all change, all operators would much rather aquire you for nothing rather than through f4U or CPWH...

Hands0n
14th October 2006, 12:20 PM
According to today's Daily Mail money pages the dropping of CPW is expected to save Vodafone some £40M in commission fees. That is quite a lot of beer vouchers in anyones book. The article also talks about more outsourcing with technology giants IBM and EDS to save £150M from its IT bill.

Recent company announcements;
The departure of Thomas Geitner http://investing.thisismoney.co.uk/cgi-bin/digitalcorporate/thisismoney/security.cgi?csi=10097&action=news&story_id=860628&rns=1

The Global Outsourcing Deal http://investing.thisismoney.co.uk/cgi-bin/digitalcorporate/thisismoney/security.cgi?csi=10097&action=news&story_id=846585&rns=1

miffed
14th October 2006, 02:50 PM
lol !!

clever old voda !

No sale = no comission

sounds like one of three's strategies

getti
15th October 2006, 12:05 AM
I think the vodafone stores do a good job on their own to be honest. THey look nice, have good staff and offer great deals which is what people want.

Carphone Warehouse are my 2nd least fave shop to go into after Phones 4 U because i just dont like the general atmosphere.

When ever i get a phone (network phone) i go straight to the mobile operators store direct and totally ignore the others.

I persoanlly like the idea they know exactly what they are talking about. if i want to join Vodafone then by going into a Vodafone store they have all the phones available on the network and wont try to ram TalkTalk down your throat every 5 minutes.

Not just Vodafone though but when i tried Orange and O2 i did exactly the same. From experaince you cant beat the networks own stores

Ben
15th October 2006, 12:08 AM
Apparently they do 2/3 of their contract sales themselves and the deal with P4U should guarantee that other third remains intact. We'll see, but if executed correctly this could actually be quite a smart move - especially if Vodafone can make sure P4U keep up with the after sales support...