View Full Version : Video call your PC from your mobile!

3g-g
23rd October 2006, 10:36 AM
It's on its way, in France and Spain this year, and in the UK for next year via a partnership between Orange and Microsoft.

You'll be able to VoIP call your PC via your mobile, see all your MSN contacts via your mobile (which aint anything you can't do already TBH) however, you'll be able to video call between your PC and a 3G mobile handset! Excellent!

Here's the important bits from the press release:

• Orange and Microsoft today announced their first convergent Instant Messaging offering for PCs and mobile. The new service, named Orange Messenger by Windows Live, will allow users to benefit from the collaboration between Orange and Microsoft® Windows Live™ Messenger.

• Likely to be as widespread as the adoption of e-mail and SMS in everyday life, Orange Messenger by Windows Live will allow users to be always connected to their contacts, on the PC and on the mobile.

• By using the Windows Live platform, the new Orange Messenger by Windows Live service will enable the 135 million France Telecom European customers (served by Orange or another brand) to smoothly interact with 240 million worldwide Windows Live Messenger users. It will provide customers with a connection to all the Orange portal services: Emails, blog, ring tones, logos and “today’s page”, while continuing to have access to the Windows Live services. A wide range of consumer mobile devices will provide customers with access to the most widely used instant messaging service in the world, with a pricing policy that will be adapted to instant messaging.

• This is the first time that two leading software and telecommunications companies have joined forces to offer an instant messaging service that can be accessed from both PC and mobile devices, and is marketed under their respective brands.

• Following its deployment in France, the UK and Spain, Orange and Microsoft will combine their expertise to offer Orange customers the following innovative services over the coming months:

On PC: Video over IP, multi-videoconferencing, etc.
On Mobile: interoperability of Orange Messenger by Windows Live with other mobile operators, SMS service continuity and 3G videoconference.

getti
23rd October 2006, 11:16 AM
3 were going to offer this. But like most things its taking them years to even bring it up at the UK / India meetings and even then they dont understand what is being said so just leave it

getti
26th October 2006, 09:51 PM
I been texting 3g-g about this tonight aswell as some other Orange issues before i decide to jump off the sinking ship that is 3.

After sitting down after packing my stuff up today i had a think about the networks i have used 3G on and the good/bad things.

I started out on 3 in 2003 with a NEC E606. I loved the phone because it was my first try at 3G which was still new. I must have spent a fortune traveling from Torquay to Plymouth just to get 3G coverage to see what it was like. I soon got rid of that phone after i found customer service to be shocking (no change there then).

I then moved into Orange 3g where i traveled from Torquay to Exeter on the train to be the first person to get a 3G phone from them. Still remember that. Was told they open at 9 so i was there at 8.35 only to see a note on the doot saying they open 9.30 due to 'Staff Training.'. Upgrade fee of £250 i hand i got through the doors and had a look at the Z1010 and the Sanyo S750. My heart was set on a Z1010 but the Sanyo was too tempting with that good camera and large screen, so that was what i got. Upgrade time was xmas eve with another £250 for the nokia 6630 which was a really nice phone.

Left Orange when Vodafone 3G was out on PAYG where i started with a Motorolla E1000 on PAYG. Sold that on to get a V800 which was a fingerprint magnet!.

Onto O2 3G with a I-Mode Samsug Z320 which lasted me all of 3 days. poor coverage, crap content and shocking prices soon put me off.

Of couse i have used a fair few 3G PAYG phones since before joining 3 again in November 2005.

Since then i have thought about leaving over 20 times but have not. I know someone who works for 3 who has done a cracking job at trying to keep me happy by putting on a staff code (well for friends), and also sorting out any issues i might have.

But enough is enough, its time for a change (R.I.P Owen Hart :) )

Been swaying back and forward bewteen Vodafone and 3 until a late contender joined the game... Orange.

Well tonight after some good information from 3g-g (sorry dont remember your real name yet :p ) its all set and done.

What has swayed me is that if you have a USIM and HSDPA phone you WILL get HSDPA coverage if its there no matter if you are contract or PAYG. Add that to the £1 for unlimited data and the fact the portal works on every phone (so i can get myself a HTC MTeoR for now) and still access all the stuff.

Stick £50 credit on a month and get £25 back free the next month.

Now back on topic :D :D

Been speaking to 3g-g about this service today and how it will be for all customers (PAYG included) and it just seems like a HUGE step forward for the Orange network. I was used to PAYG where you get limited services and Contract gets it all but that seems to have changed.

I also like the fact you can download MSN messenger to the phone and use that out of the £1 a day access but also have full use with your MSN contacts, plus a load more potential users on the Orange network

These have all beeen big factors in my decision but its all but sorted now. Come Monday, 3 will be called where i will cancel my contract with them and destroy the SIM in every way possible.

Slap in a Orange USIM into a phone and away i go.

Yes yes i know its a new number but i will finally be free of the 3 network once and for all

Who wants to throw the Talk3G party?. My bet is Ben and 3GSU are 1st inline to congratulate me :D :D

Ben
29th October 2006, 01:05 AM
My bet is Ben and 3GSU are 1st inline to congratulate me :D :D
What is this 'Orange' :p

Hands0n
29th October 2006, 08:27 AM
getti has been telling me all about the Orange PAYG data tariff - £1 per calendar day for all you can eat! I could just manage to pop in an Orange SIM in one of my old handsets to use as a 3G data modem at that rate ..... I only use it mobile occasionally .... not sure if it'd get daily use, but thats not the point .... I like/want the option to be able to use unfettered data as and when I want .... and not be saddled with a £45PCM bill for the pleasure of being able to.

Gawd, Orange tempting me back????? Nah! I'm a complete network ***** (probably one of those Bob Fully is so disdainful of) ... I'll go where the action is, and if it aint there I'll be off somewhere else :D :D

Now where's my nearest Orange store ????