View Full Version : How to use Mobile Mail and/or MSN on UIQ3-devices?

lumix2day
24th October 2006, 01:09 PM
Hi there!

I just switched from T-Mobile to Three (got a special offer which includes Mobile Mail and MSN for free). The only problem I have is that I cannot use the two services. I am using a SE M600i (so a UIQ3 device) and unfortunately, Three doesn't offer compatible mail- oder MSN-clients for UIQ3 devices.

The question now is if there is a bypass for the problem. The M600i has an in-build mail client for push-forward mail services (including AlteXia, iAnywhere OneBridge, Intellisync, Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync, RIM - BlackBerry Connect, Seven, and Visto). Hence, I am looking for a way to use the integrated client to work with Mobile Mail.

The same with MSN. The MSN Live Messenger is not yet available for UIQ3 but several others are. Unfortunately, when I try to connect with them, 3 doesn't allow me to connect to the MSN server. Any ideas?

Regards

Alex

3GScottishUser
24th October 2006, 01:30 PM
Firstly welcome to Talk3g.co.uk

I am not sure how to break this to you but 3 might not have been the best choice of network for advanced services using equipment that they dont supply themselves. You may have heard that their customer support is 'limited' and they have little presence in the business market so their CSA's can normally only attend to fairly basic issues about their own products.

That said you should be able to connect to MSN Messenger if you input the correct settings, 3 should be able to provide these but beware not all of their phone range currently supports the MSN Messenger service they advertise. Same applies to 3 push mail services, again customer support should be able to offer some solution, probably Glasgow business services would be your best bet. Ask for them when you call 333 from your handset.

Good luck.....keep us posted.

miffed
24th October 2006, 02:21 PM
Hmm , not sure - but I'd guess that the old UIX & UIX 3 are backwards compatible - So if you can get hold of the relavant files / settings for the motorola a1000 / a925 / a920 - you should be able to configure the phone to meet your requirements

...... Rather you than me though :cool:

lumix2day
24th October 2006, 07:46 PM
Well, the problem is that the new UIQ3 phones are not backward compatible to UIQ2 oder UIQ1, therefore I cannot use the A1000 applications.

I also tried to use several different multi messenger clients today, but they all failed to connect to MSN (using normal as well as gateway mode). The weird thing is that it should somehow work as 3 is just using the Microsoft Live Messenger to connect to MSN (and therefore it should connect using the same ports and to the same server).

The same with the email-problem. I am sure 3 is just using one of the common push-forward servers but I do not know the server address etc. so I am not able to set-up the email client for receiving mails.

I will call 3 but I have my doubts they will be able to help me. The M600i is a 3G-phone but mainly sold in Europe and the US, the only network provider in the UK offering the phone is Vodefone.

Regards

Alex

miffed
24th October 2006, 07:51 PM
Well, the problem is that the new UIQ3 phones are not backward compatible to UIQ2 oder UIQ1, therefore I cannot use the A1000 applications.

Ah ,sorry didn't realise !

well thats a bit silly isn't it ? :confused:

There are a lot of determined people out there , so I'm someone will develop a workaround soon

lumix2day
24th October 2006, 07:57 PM
I hope so ;)

Oh, one more thing. I've just checked the account details in "My 3" on my phone. And it shows the correct contract but it only says "empty" in the field "add-ons". Is this ok as the special offer for the contract should include an add-on called "msn and mail" - which is also listed on the receipt I've got with the new contract (and a Nokia N70 which I won't use).

Regards

Alex

3GScottishUser
25th October 2006, 12:16 AM
One has to realise that 3 services are very limited.

3 UK use certain services to promote specific tariffs on specific handsets.

They dont offer MSN or push e-mail to all customers, nor do they offer streaming TV on all handsets. They show lots of new stuff for new customers but only on a very limited range of handsets. Their staff will only be trained to deal with questions about those specific model/services they offer.

3 UK are not like other networks, they dont have open standards and not all services are offered across their handset range so I suspect a non 3 supplied 3G handset will not be supported by 3 UK.

Worth a try, and to be sure they should let any customer with a contract use whatever they want in terms of a 3G handset but in my experience thats not how 3 UK works and they actually make that clear in their terms and conditions. 02 and Vodafone will go out of their way to help anyone use their services on non network supplied handsets, 3 advise that they only support their own models within the limits of the services advertised... so be warned!!

lumix2day
25th October 2006, 12:43 AM
I totally understand that the 3 services are optimised to their handsets. But I had a A1000 before and I learned that in most cases, there is a way to get around the limitations.

In case of the MSN messenger, 3 is just using the standard Microsoft MSN Live Messenger which is also available directly from Microsoft - not a program made for 3 handsets only. Therefore, I am quite sure that there must be a way to get it to work...and I will call them tomorrow, let's see what the business support tells me.

Regards

Alex

3g-g
25th October 2006, 08:50 AM
...and I will call them tomorrow, let's see what the business support tells me.

...and then let us all know here! :)