View Full Version : Sony Ericsson W900i or W850i?

UK_newbie
24th October 2006, 01:43 PM
There, there. I know how you feel. I am going to be hard pressed to let go of my W900i come contract renewal. It has become a good friend, and a staggeringly well performing handset. I don't use it for browsing, having the T-Mob 6280 with WNW for that use.

But in every other way, the W900i's Walkman and the Cybershottedness of the camera keep that contented grin on my mush.

Oh, and I'm kinda glad that I didn't jump in for the N80 now. I'd hate to have spent out and been disappointed.

Hi:

I've just registered here today and wonder if you or another here can help me out in a mobile selection, ideally, someone who has used each of the 2 phones I am torn between, but if not, common sense insight would be just fine :)
I am considering 2 Sony Ericsson models - the W900i and W850i.

First off, I'll state my opinion that newer isn't necessarily better, though often it is.
Secondly, I highly doubt that one would be going very far wrong to select either of these versatile "phones".

Basics: Along with all the other bells & whistle that such sophisticated products offer, I want A) a keypad that is easy to use for a somewhat fumble-fingered sort such as myself.
B) A handset that offers clear and loud audio that can be heard well in high ambient noise environments. (I've experienced these qualities in a few Nokias that I hve used briefly.)
C) Good sensitivity to signals, that is, good reception and transmission.
After all, this IS the basic purpose of a mobile phone, is it not?

This type of multi-media device seems to me a great way of getting much of what one desires in a single unit, that is, no need to carry a separate mp3 player, camera and phone. Of course, i don't expect photographic results such as can be had with a dedicated, higher end digital cam, but in day-to-day usage these should do.

I don't like the fact that the W850i doesn't offer auto focus. Care to comment on whether this is worth moaning about?
I do like the fact that is has internal FM, something I would surely use, without the fiddle of the W900i's separately attached FM control.

I'm sure I could come up with a few other tidbits, and if I garner some response to this posting, perhaps I will.

So, in summary, both of these phone appeal greatly to me. Can you or someone else here help me out in the direction of making a final choice?

:)

Michael

Hands0n
24th October 2006, 03:50 PM
Hello UK-newbie (Michael) - welcome to Talk3G - what a thought-provoking and excellent question to begin your time here with us :D Nice one!

Well, I really can only comment practically from the experience of the W900i, I do not have hands on the W850i - which is a shame, as it is quite an attractive handset.

I rather think that you have posed the questions and parameters quite well, and there may be other nuances of each that will please or displease. However, I rather fancy that these would not be necessarily significant enough to be a dealbreaker in either case.

The phone function of the W900i is excellent - sound and radio quality are perfect for a mobile phone. It locks on to any valid 2G or 3G signal it can find and performs flawlessly. I often have 59min calls on it evenings and weekends courtesy of Vodafone Stop The Clock. It is an excellent performer in all respects relating to telephony. Battery life can be a bit of a weed at times, but there are home and travelling solutions to that - I have a car charger for each and every handset I've ever owned. After 59 mins of non-stop chat the battery is down to its last one or two bars.

As a multimedia device, the W900i scores really well in my book for audio quality from the Walkman built in. The 2Mpxl camera is rock solid also - with the auto-focus lens producing staggeringly good quality images, on a par with pretty much any dedicated 2Mpxl camera, I'd say. I've had to use it a few times for inccidents where photographic evidence is essential, and these have stood up to large-scale magnification before the pixellation or lens quality became apparent. The same cannot be said for my Nokia 6280 2Mpxl which has an atrocious fixed-focus lens. I cannot advocate fixed-focus lenses for any use other than very casual snapping.

Video camera function and qualtiy on the W900i is par excellent, commensurate with the photography quality - its the lens y'see!

Keypad on the W900i is fine for me - but then again, others who have one do complain about it feeling a bit "dead", but I don't subscribe to that at all. It really is one of those "in the eye/hand of the beholder/holder" things :)

I don't know if any of this has been useful to you in your final choice. I really would say that you should go grab hold of each of these at the local Vodafone store. The folk there are ultra-helpful pre-sales, and quite knowledgeable generally. Play around with that keypad if it is a potential issue for you.

Oooh, one last thing. The W900i is a behemoth of a handset. It is as chunky as a very chunky thing, and it weighs in at over the average. It looks very obvious in the trouser pocket :D You'd know if one landed on your foot! So if you don't like such things then maybe it is not the one for you. But if not bothered, I'm certain that you'll find so much to appeal that these little (!!!) things aside will not detract from what is [I reckon] one of Sony Ericsson's finest and most underestimated/underappreciated handsets of the century!

You read that here :D

3g-g
24th October 2006, 03:55 PM
C) Good sensitivity to signals, that is, good reception and transmission.
After all, this IS the basic purpose of a mobile phone, is it not?

Hi Michael, welcome to Talk3G,

Just as quick point WRT your post, and before folk start to give you their opinions of the two SE handsets in question, I have to say with regards to the specific point you've made as a "must have" i.e. the good RX and TX of radio signals on the handset... I have found, personally, that SE handsets perform poorly in terms of reception, I only base this on a z1010 I had and the k600i the wife has. We can be at home, which is in sight of 3 Orange 2G and 3G masts, my Nokia, Motorola and Sanyo handsets all show a full reception, yet her SE shows one or two bars less than full. Now perhaps the graphical display isn't relative, and the recieved signal levels internally are the same as all my other handsets, however, you just can't be sure. The wife has been asked when on the phone to repeat herself due to signal drops. Perhaps it's not noticeable to those who use the handset day to day and perhaps I'm just spolied with Nokia's reception, but it's definately be a point I'd consider before opting for the SE brand, even when their handsets in terms of looks and functionality are at times quite yummy!

G.

Hands0n
24th October 2006, 03:59 PM
Just to pop a bit of balancing/confusing perspective to the above :D

My Mrs has a K600i on O2 with a sh*tty signal reception (2G and 3G). Tried the O2 SIM in a Samsung Z500 and Z540 with same result, the fault moves with the SIM, so in her case it's an O2 thing and not the handset.

I'll only restate that the W900i on Vodafone 3G/2G performs flawlessly in terms of radio signal strength, switching in-call betwen 3G and 2G and generally outstanding voice audio quality on receive and transmit. Could be as much the network as the handset itself though.

FWIW

Ben
24th October 2006, 05:59 PM
Moved to Sony Ericsson forum.

UK_newbie
24th October 2006, 06:05 PM
Hello UK-newbie (Michael) - welcome to Talk3G - what a thought-provoking and excellent question to begin your time here with us :D Nice one!

Well, I really can only comment practically from the experience of the W900i, I do not have hands on the W850i - which is a shame, as it is quite an attractive handset.

I rather think that you have posed the questions and parameters quite well, and there may be other nuances of each that will please or displease. However, I rather fancy that these would not be necessarily significant enough to be a dealbreaker in either case.

The phone function of the W900i is excellent - sound and radio quality are perfect for a mobile phone. It locks on to any valid 2G or 3G signal it can find and performs flawlessly. I often have 59min calls on it evenings and weekends courtesy of Vodafone Stop The Clock. It is an excellent performer in all respects relating to telephony. Battery life can be a bit of a weed at times, but there are home and travelling solutions to that - I have a car charger for each and every handset I've ever owned. After 59 mins of non-stop chat the battery is down to its last one or two bars.

As a multimedia device, the W900i scores really well in my book for audio quality from the Walkman built in. The 2Mpxl camera is rock solid also - with the auto-focus lens producing staggeringly good quality images, on a par with pretty much any dedicated 2Mpxl camera, I'd say. I've had to use it a few times for inccidents where photographic evidence is essential, and these have stood up to large-scale magnification before the pixellation or lens quality became apparent. The same cannot be said for my Nokia 6280 2Mpxl which has an atrocious fixed-focus lens. I cannot advocate fixed-focus lenses for any use other than very casual snapping.

Video camera function and qualtiy on the W900i is par excellent, commensurate with the photography quality - its the lens y'see!

Keypad on the W900i is fine for me - but then again, others who have one do complain about it feeling a bit "dead", but I don't subscribe to that at all. It really is one of those "in the eye/hand of the beholder/holder" things.

I don't know if any of this has been useful to you in your final choice. I really would say that you should go grab hold of each of these at the local Vodafone store. The folk there are ultra-helpful pre-sales, and quite knowledgeable generally. Play around with that keypad if it is a potential issue for you.

Oooh, one last thing. The W900i is a behemoth of a handset. It is as chunky as a very chunky thing, and it weighs in at over the average. It looks very obvious in the trouser pocket :D You'd know if one landed on your foot! So if you don't like such things then maybe it is not the one for you. But if not bothered, I'm certain that you'll find so much to appeal that these little (!!!) things aside will not detract from what is [I reckon] one of Sony Ericsson's finest and most underestimated/underappreciated handsets of the century!

You read that here :D

Well, well, HandsOn! What a LOVELY , well-considered and useful reply to my first posting here! Thanks for your hands-on views! :)
I've had little experience posting in online forums (fora?), though I've done a fair bit of reading of them o'er the years, and this is my first since emigrating from Toronto, Canada to High Wycombe, at the end of May this year.
I'm just a bit gobsmacked at the friendly and helpful response, just another reason why I'm glad I made the move here. (smiling)

After having read of your experience with the W900i, it seems to me that this is rather likely to be my choice.
I acknowledge that a fixed lens is not the way to go and based on not-so-hot images I've seen, taken with my wife's otherwise excellent Nokia 6230, I look forward to seeing the difference an auto-focus lens will make.

Yes, the 850i does look attractive, a fine looking piece of kit indeed, but as far as aesthetics are concerned, NOT a deal breaker in my view, as function takes precedence for me, the W900i isn't a slouch in the beauty contest sweeps as well. :rolleyes:
In fact, since they are available in black or white (no matter what fancy names they create to describe black and white :p ), I fancy having one in white.

Like you, I don't care if it IS a "brick" and prefer something somewhat larger and more substantial to a wee bit of hardware. I hardly think that another 32 grams (comparing the W900i to the W850i) is going to change anyone's existence.

As for battery life, an issue for some and understandably so, I'm not too concerned. I have no problems charging the phone each night, if that's what is required. Come on folks; unless one spends hours talking and using other functions each day, it shouldn't be an issue, especially in these days of technologically more advanced batteries, that is, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium Ion, etc. batteries that don't have the "memory" issue that the older Nickel Cadmium ones do.
By the way, though I suppose most of those reading this may be aware of it, you might want to have a look at the following link:

http://www.zbattery.com/memoryeffect-pf.html

And, like you, I shall employ a car charger when necessary, though would prefer to use the mains unit if it means maximising battery life.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am a tad concerned that listening to FM on the W900i might be a bit of a fiddle, considering its tethered control unit for that purpose, but then again, perhaps I am making unnecessary ado about little on that score.

It seems very much, based on what you're shared here, that it very nicely does what a mobile phone should do and then some! :)

Other possible concerns?
Well, can the W900i accept and utilise a 4 MB memory card, like the W850i, or is it limited to 2 GB? Not a major item, but something worth knowing.

Another minor nit to pick, perhaps. How 'bout the music management software on the Walkman type W850i? Is it sufficiently superior to that on the W900i to be worth mentioning?

Now for an issue well worth a separate discussion and that of course is a whole 'nuther can of worms. I speak of networks. Actually, it may not be that simple. It may be that one must take into account more variables. Certainly the network of choice may be a real concern, but then, so can location be.
HandsOn replied to me:
"My Mrs has a K600i on O2 with a sh*tty signal reception (2G and 3G). Tried the O2 SIM in a Samsung Z500 and Z540 with same result, the fault moves with the SIM, so in her case it's an O2 thing and not the handset.

I'll only restate that the W900i on Vodafone 3G/2G performs flawlessly in terms of radio signal strength, switching in-call betwen 3G and 2G and generally outstanding voice audio quality on receive and transmit. Could be as much the network as the handset itself though."

Maybe it isn't the SIM or network in his case as much as location? Or .... ?Hmmmm... :confused:

I'm considering Vodafone and O2. I've seen very appealing deals on offer from each and was leaning slightly toward O2, though I'd consider either, given cogent reasons to do so.
If a number of people report similarly poor results with O2, that would be good reason, but if results vary considerably, then it seems that I might do well with either. Hmmmm.... let's see - we live in the Chilterns, where reception of some signal types is less than brilliant sometime, and my wife's Nokia 6230 is with Onetel, who use Vodafone and I must say that it has performed well. Then again, the handset becomes a factor too, and in this case it's a Nokia we are discussing. Oh, one's head nearly spins considering the variables! :eek:

Then there is 3g-g's reply to this, in which he cited poor results using other Sony Ericsson models, compared to his good results with Nokia, Motorola and Sanyo handsets. But he introduces another variable - the fact that they are using another network, namely Orange.

So good 3G forum folks, I throw all of this back into the fray and invite your facts, commentary and opinions.

Michael

UK_newbie
24th October 2006, 06:19 PM
Hi Michael, welcome to Talk3G,

Just as quick point WRT your post, and before folk start to give you their opinions of the two SE handsets in question, I have to say with regards to the specific point you've made as a "must have" i.e. the good RX and TX of radio signals on the handset... I have found, personally, that SE handsets perform poorly in terms of reception, I only base this on a z1010 I had and the k600i the wife has. We can be at home, which is in sight of 3 Orange 2G and 3G masts, my Nokia, Motorola and Sanyo handsets all show a full reception, yet her SE shows one or two bars less than full. Now perhaps the graphical display isn't relative, and the recieved signal levels internally are the same as all my other handsets, however, you just can't be sure. The wife has been asked when on the phone to repeat herself due to signal drops. Perhaps it's not noticeable to those who use the handset day to day and perhaps I'm just spolied with Nokia's reception, but it's definately be a point I'd consider before opting for the SE brand, even when their handsets in terms of looks and functionality are at times quite yummy!

G.

Hi 3g-g and thanks for your welcome and feedback.

Wow! it sure can get involved when considering the variables! As you can see from my reply to HandsOn, I have tried raisng these issues in "wun swell foop." :D
Hmmm.. is it the handset, the network, which side of the bread one butters, the state of one's laundry or.... ? :confused:
Your comments are appreciated.

Michael

Hands0n
24th October 2006, 11:39 PM
Thanks UK_newbie *blush* :D

I do not know the actual limit to the memory stick size for the W900i - I am running a 2GB stick in mine and its great stuff.

You mention music management on the W900i - its own Walkman media player I would imagine to be similar/same as the W800i. The desktop software is so-so (not a patch on iTunes, but then what is?!). But I get by fine. I tend to organise the music into directories, drop them onto the W900i and it does the rest for me. I can then view/play them by album, artist or individual tracks (All). Not a world apart from my iPod.

I'm with Vodafone and its network is solid as the proverbial rock where I live/work/play (North Kent and London). O2 on the other hand seems to have been suffering quite a bit down here for some reason. A friend of mine with a Samsung D500 has no end of trouble on the 2G network, my Mrs SE K600i handset NEVER locks onto 3G, living all of its life in 2G mode - the nearest transmitter mast is 200M away from the house!! We can get it to lock on if we hold it at the window in direct visual sight of the transmitter, and then on only a few bars! We're leaving O2 when her contract comes up for renewal - its not the handset as the same SIM in other handsets performs exactly the same (tried in LG U8120, Samsung Z500 (brand new) and Motorola E1000 with identical results).

neojinge
2nd November 2006, 12:02 PM
the slider in the 850 is really cool...sorry to break it down to such childish
constituents but it does rock.

otherwise not much to choose between then, other than the flashing / snazzy walkman? has all the apps and functionality i've ever needed, loving the bluetooth connection to the web via 3G for my ipaq.

it's a very very stylish mobile. i love it.

neo