View Full Version : Superdrug pay customers to take 3!!

3GScottishUser
30th October 2006, 10:52 AM
Yeah....

Clearance time and the old Motorola c975 horror is this weeks special at (Hutchison Owned) Superdrug. Its now just £9.99 including a £30 credit!!

So you can use it and bin it for £10 less than the cost of the top-up!!

The ZTE F866 is also being given away at Argos. Its £29.99 now and also includes a £30 credit pre-loaded.

A bit of a nightmare when a network has to give away a 3G handset just to earn a top-up!!

I still think its a bad idea putting Motorola c975's into the marketplace. I suspect the damage caused to the brand and the reputation of 3 will far outweigh the short term benefits of dumping this dross on customers.

Ben
30th October 2006, 12:29 PM
Well, dismal handset or otherwise, the offer gets a thumbs up from me in terms of being cheap - that £30 credit could come in handy.

I do have moral objections to selling mobile phones at that price, though, mostly due to the environmental implications of manufacturing the handset, battery, charger etc for very little gain to anyone.

3GScottishUser
30th October 2006, 12:42 PM
Indeed. Just wondering how many folks will work out that it'll be cheaper to get one of these at £10 and use the £30 of credit then bin it rather than top up an existing mobile!!

Even on WePay you would still get 100 mins X/Net or 300 SMS so little different from a regular top-up on other networks minus the loyalty bonuses (free weekends etc etc).

I suspect most woud probably use this as a secondary device and keep their existing PAYG mobile due to the high WePay call costs.

No doubt they will shift a few thousand of these and that should help the stats as once activated they remain live customers for 6 months regardless of whether additional top-ups are purchaced.