View Full Version : ZTE Handset

zte user
1st November 2006, 09:00 PM
I recently purchased the ZTE 866 3G handset on 3 and was pleaseantly suprised. I had owned NEC phones which had put me right off using 3G phones until this little phone appeared. Within a day of having the handset I was downloading videos, music and making video calls. The only main problem there is no connectivity:- no bluetooth, no infrared, no USB; the only way to get my pix off my phone is to send a MMS to the three.co.uk/gallery and then copy them to my hard drive.

Is there anyway of getting round this? Someone must know. I love this phone and it would be ashame to replace it:eek:

3g-g
1st November 2006, 09:53 PM
Are you able to purchase a cable to make a serial connection to the handset? Does the handset have any supporting software at all?

zte user
7th November 2006, 12:16 PM
I went to the three concession in Superdrug and was firmly told that there is no cable for this phone. Two things came to mind-

1.The guy had no idea what day it was
2.He didn't know anything about the handset

I subsequently tried Carphone Warehouse, Phones 4 U, the link and every market store selling dodgy phone covers. The guys in carphone warehouse didnt even know that the handset had been released. When the phone was bought from that infamous catalogue store 'Argos' the box contained the phone, charger, battery and all the booklets telling you how to switch your phone on. No software.

I have the ZTE website but it's in chinese, which is no use at all. So basically I have to send my pix to three gallery and then copy them to my pc which takes ages. :mad:

Ben
7th November 2006, 02:47 PM
That doesn't sound hopeful. If you can't find a cable on eBay then you may well be resigned to having most content stuck on your phone! I take it there's no memory card either?

onzey
8th November 2006, 12:22 AM
I don't think there can be a cable for the zteF866 because the only connections on it are for the charger at the base of the phone and an earpiece connector on one side. It doesn't take a memory card either.

3g-g
8th November 2006, 12:36 AM
I think that you've exhausted all your options, if you've no ability to connect locally to the handset, unless your earpiece port is a mini USB type? then I think it's going to have to be via the Three gallery for any pictures you want onto your PC. Perhaps, if it's something you're planning on doing a lot of, it might be an idea to spend the money it'd cost you on sending the pictures to Three on a handset from eBay? Something with Bluetooth ability or an expandable card slot? I know you like the handset, but personally I'd be livid at having to get my pictures from my handset the way you're having to do!

Let us know what you decide / how you get on.

zte user
23rd November 2006, 09:56 AM
There is no memory port for a memory card- so thats not an option. I phoned three customer services and they informed me that there is accessories available for the handset but none include the usb cable- all available online but I can't get them from a three concession stand in Superdrug. So the ZTE is a good phone but connectivity is non existent; so I have to make do with sending my pictures to three gallery and then copying them to my hardrive. :mad: Now I see that the handset price has dropped from 49.99 to 19.99 within two weeks of buying it because three can't shift the stock.
So I have to deal with it until I can get another handset, but making sure it at least has a usb port. Thanks to everyone who has given my advice on this very unique problem.

Ben
23rd November 2006, 06:57 PM
You're more than welcome, I hope you'll stick around and let us know what handset tempts you next and how you get on with it. :)

Tonums
7th January 2007, 12:54 PM
There is no memory port for a memory card- so thats not an option. I phoned three customer services and they informed me that there is accessories available for the handset but none include the usb cable- all available online but I can't get them from a three concession stand in Superdrug. So the ZTE is a good phone but connectivity is non existent; so I have to make do with sending my pictures to three gallery and then copying them to my hardrive. :mad: Now I see that the handset price has dropped from 49.99 to 19.99 within two weeks of buying it because three can't shift the stock.
So I have to deal with it until I can get another handset, but making sure it at least has a usb port. Thanks to everyone who has given my advice on this very unique problem.

Hi All

I bought the ZTE F866 (15ukp inc 10ukp in calls) not realizing it had ZERO connectivity. It was cheap, my old phone had just broke so it seemed a good deal, it still is for a fiver.

I noticed that the connection was the same as the Samsung D500 so bought a usb cable and software for that from ebay (only 3 quid) but alas no joy. It did start to charge the phone though so if the charger goes pop at least I have an alternative.

So how do I get my mp3s an piccies on to my new phone then? I'm buggered if I'm gpoing to pay Three for the privilege of downloading it from The Gallery. Here's what I did:

I set up a 3mail email account (easy-peasy with this phone) and sent the files as attachments. Done!

Not the best solution I agree, that would have to be the inclusion of at least USB connectivity, but adequate when it costs zilch.:)

Tony

magnetized
1st September 2009, 09:41 PM
Hi there

My name is Claire and I bought one of the ZTE F866 a few years ago, similarly to Tony I bought it because my old phone had broken and it seemed like a really good deal, and it was.

I am still using this phone now on 3, and I have been emailing pictures to myself through the 3mail option and then downloading them to have as my wallpaper, as Tony said above. However, from 1st September, this service has become unavailable, as I found out much to my distress at 2am last night trying to access it! If only I had done so a couple of hours earlier!

Because I couldnt access my emails anymore, I had to bluetooth the pictures I wanted to have on my phone to my friends phone, and then have them text over via MMS, and then download them. I did this, however one of the photos has made the phone go a bit funny. Everytime I access the download section of the phone, it turns itself off, its almost like its rebooting itself. This has happened before when a friend asked me to text her a picture so i emailed it to my 3mail, downloaded it and then tried to forward it to her via MMS. I couldnt understand why this was happening. However, I found that if you download 3 more photographs, so that the one that is making the phone reboot itself isnt in the first list of photos you see when you first access the downloads section, and then go into Options and mark all files, and then work your way from the bottom up unmarking all the ones you want to keep, until you get to the one just before the photo which is corrupt. Then you delete all marked files, and it works fine. So i tried it this time, however the pictures I have been downloading from my friends texts have not appeared in the downloads list like they normally do, therefore not pushing the corrupt one down far enough for me to be able to delete it.

I was just wondering if there is any way you can delete all the files from the phone, like a master reset option? I have tried the Restore to default settings option but this just restores the time and the wallpaper, none of the saved files on the phone. I have looked in the manuals, but I cant find anything.

It would be a shame to have to stop using this phone, I have had many years of great service from it and I am on a really good tariff, and I probably will use it until it goes pop completely lol, I was just wondering if there was any way I could solve this problem ive been having?

Thanks in advance, and I hope that the info I have posted here can help someone who is maybe having the same problems as I have had.

Im thinking of replacing it with a ZTE F102 on 3, but im going to have a look to see if anyone has posted about this phone here already!

Thanks!