View Full Version : Why are you on your network?

Ben
20th April 2005, 08:25 PM
I'd imagine we all pick our network for different reasons. As we have seen people can love and hate their network to extents you wouldn't imagine, but if we strip away all those layers of emotion then we can ask the question "Why am I still with them when there are other options available?"

So, I'll list 6 reasons why you might be with your network - vote away! If what I've suggested doesn't cover your reasons, please express them below. Remember, try and detatch yourself from your emotions towards the network and just ask yourself 'why'!

Ben
20th April 2005, 08:34 PM
Primarily, I'm with Orange 3G because of the great tariff I've got. If it wasn't for that I'd quite happily use my Vodafone SIM in my 6680 and be, technically, on Vodafone 3G. I just can't refuse the 50mb/month +50p/mb after that along with the free videocalling minutes. There are other factors, but the tariff is a big one in this instance.

I also don't want to port my number... so I guess I'll always have a phone on Orange, whether it's my main one or not.

maven
20th April 2005, 08:36 PM
I'll hesitantly say the tariff - but it's more than that, I like the idea of 3G technology plus the handset is a corker (Nokia 6630).

Hands0n
20th April 2005, 09:24 PM
Specifically relative to 3G - I've gone for Innovative/exclusive services - although that is not the full story.

H3 -- Like maven I like the tariff at the moment, but with the price war on the go that could change overnight. Being on contract that would leave that particular point entirely moot.

I really did latch on to the Innovative idea of 3G from the off. The promise of greater bandwidth enabling such services as Videocalling did it for me on day one. I still am greatly drawn to the idea of Videocalling and use it seldom and only within the family. I'd like to see it become mainstream, and am sure it will in due course.

I'm still with Orange on 2/2.5G for the remainder of my contract which is two months ahead of H3 in Jan '06. At that time I'll be casting my net wide.

For now, I am quite content with 3G on H3 (witness my clutch of handsets posted elsewhere on this forum). Although I continue to await more "innovative and exclusive services".

3g-g
20th April 2005, 09:46 PM
I'm not sure what my vote counts for really, I picked tarrif.. but that's because it beats Ben's hands down. I get unlimited video calling, unlimited data, free calls at any time, free SMS and free MMS. Not much that can beat that. ;)

Having experienced all the networks 2G offerings, and having had exposure to H3G I'd have to pick Orange for my network of choice, and I wouldn't have any hesitation in recommending it to anyone... to be honest I'd say Orange and Voda would be hard to separate on their 2G offerings, but Orange has a bigger 3G footprint, that would be the clincher.

Martin3G
20th April 2005, 09:55 PM
I voted tarrif because my tarrif is the same as 3g-g.

I love my phone :D

getti
20th April 2005, 10:11 PM
Im with Orange because they are the only network who were kind enough to give me a contract (I had some bad credit trouble).

Originally i got a C500 and when 3G came out i upgraded to 3G. 50mb a month for 12months and 60mins a month free video calling is great. Also the 50mb is even OFF-NET which is nice.

Out of all the networks, Vodafone have the best handsets and portal, Three have the best 3G coverage and cheap calls, Orange have the best all round package for contract users.

I have yet to try O2 but with 39% 3G coverage it's not gonna happen anytime soon.

Maybe when DoCoMo release I-mode handsets via O2 sometime over the next 6-8months with the HSPDA service meaning upto 1mb data rates i will jump ship

Ben
20th April 2005, 10:17 PM
You Orange boys! Really! Still, it's already looking evident that tariff has a lot to do with it. Keep 'em coming!

davidlove
21st April 2005, 09:01 PM
I voted for coverage/reliability. But that's only half the story.

This is like admitting to wearing flares the first time around (I did), but I've been with Voda for 20 years. Back then calls were 33p/min within M25 and I bought a new briefcase to accommodate the antenna of my £1,600 Moto 8000 (no network subsidies back then).

So you could say that brand loyalty (or inertia) comes into it.

I've posted elsewhere on this forum that I dislike network branding and have little interest in Live! or the content offered by other operators.

Voda have become a huge, dull, "no surprises" company which, like BT who are my ISP, suits me fine.

Three other reasons; (1) used to work in Newbury, the "Voda Village", (2) had a bad experience with Orange way back when I couldn't get a signal at home and (3) Voda gives me rock solid service, voice and data, overseas.

Can't comment on 3G until Expansys come up with my 6680.

3GScottishUser
21st April 2005, 11:09 PM
I went with 3 for the 2'nd time simply because it's cheap.

Reassured by comments on forums about the improvements in coverage and network relaibility I took out a £5/month Talk & Text 600 contract.

My experience to date is that nothing has much improved since I tried an NEC e606 in June 2003. Still far too many dropped and failed calls, stagnant services and abysmal customer service.

Having tried 2 contract handsets and subsitituted them with 2 threepay models, I conclude that in my experience 3's product is only worth £5/month at most and will remain something that only price can attact customers to until they put right the deficiencies that have been present since the launch.

Only when you see 3 able to sell on something other than price will they be worth looking at again, in my opinion.

TheBrit
22nd April 2005, 12:19 PM
I've been with Orange for a very long time. I joined them six months after launch when I bought my first mobile phone, a Motorola mr1 and I still have the same number. I've seen no reason to change.

The tarrif was very good at the time and still is pretty good.