View Full Version : Reflashing my phone.

Zeph
20th April 2005, 08:27 PM
I have a Nokia 6630 on Vodafone and Vodafone have modified the software in serveral crippling ways, the main one being that I am unable to set an MP3 as a ring tone even though they appear in the tones list.

Another thing I was annoyed about is that the phone is listed on the Nokia website as coming with a 64MB card whereas mine only came with a 32MB :(

Anyways, is it possible to get my phone reflashed with the latest Nokia (non-voda) firmware, where can I get it done and how much is it likely to cost me?

Thanks

Zeph

Ben
20th April 2005, 08:45 PM
Personally I haven't heard of anyone having their Nokia 6630's flashed at the current time, but it must be possible. Perhaps the Nokia service centres are able to do it? It might be worth giving Nokia CS (http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,49850,00.html) a bell to see what they say, though I'm not sure they'll be very helpful. Your local independent phone shops might well be able to flash the handset if they have the right kit.

Whether flashing the phone requires unlocking first I'm not sure. If it does, you'll need to get an unlock code from Vodafone - but luckily they don't charge too much (was it £10 or £15? I forget).

Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge about flashing will come along and give you some better information!

bsrjl1
20th April 2005, 11:37 PM
Official service points could certainly do it if they download the latest version of Phoenix. Updates are free within the warranty period, but they will (should!) flash with the Vodafone pack so you still won't be able to use MP3 ringtones. Why not convert them to AACs with Quicktime/iTunes as they work?

No need to unlock the phone to flash, it will still be locked afterwards.

Jon3G
21st April 2005, 10:23 AM
Personally I haven't heard of anyone having their Nokia 6630's flashed at the current time, but it must be possible. Perhaps the Nokia service centres are able to do it? It might be worth giving Nokia CS (http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,49850,00.html) a bell to see what they say, though I'm not sure they'll be very helpful. Your local independent phone shops might well be able to flash the handset if they have the right kit.

Whether flashing the phone requires unlocking first I'm not sure. If it does, you'll need to get an unlock code from Vodafone - but luckily they don't charge too much (was it £10 or £15? I forget).

Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge about flashing will come along and give you some better information!

It was £15 Ben.

You have 2 options, Phone up Voda and say your phone is not working correctly and that you want a replacement under warranty. They then should send you a new handset via courier. The 2nd is too go into a Voda store and ask the service centre to Flash it.

I would go for the first, less questions and you get a new handset

Ben
21st April 2005, 11:25 AM
"Phone up Voda and say your phone is not working correctly and that you want a replacement under warranty"

There's nothing wrong with the phone - Vodafone's software just doesn't allow MP3's to be set as ringtones. No amount of replacements would fix that.

Evil network branding :D

jman
22nd April 2005, 12:25 AM
"No amount of replacements would fix that."

Im not certain, but i think i saw some prog that would do it, I will have a look and post if i come across it,