View Full Version : Laptops; phone

steve9025
9th November 2006, 06:02 AM
Hi,

Firstly, I need to sell a laptop to a friend. How much superior is the latter's spec. (especially processors)? I'm more inclined to give away #2 actually as it often emits a high-frequency noise while running off battery power (what could cure that?)

1: Intel(R) Celeron(R) 2.6GHz, 512MB, 28GB.

2: Intel(R) Pentium (R) 1.6GHz, 599MHz (is this some supplementary processing power on the chip?), 512 MB, 74.5GB.

Secondly, my dad's PAYG Siemens A-55 is lost from time to time. One day, I'm sure he'll lose it for good. How can he retain his number? Can he ask for a PAC code or something similar now and, say in a year, supply it so keep his number?

Hands0n
9th November 2006, 07:39 AM
Interesting questions.

The noisy laptop is likely to be something in the power stage of the electronics in the laptop. Not much you could do about that without having it reparied or replaced.

The 599MHz figure is likely to be the Bus speed of the processor - i.e. the speed at which it communicates with the motherboard's chipset. The faster the speed the quicker that the processor can send and retrieve data with the motherboard's memory and other peripherals, although these are limited by their own i/o speeds.

The latter laptop has the more powerful processor in the Pentium (although careful here, you didn't say which Pentium it is, I'm assuming Pentium 4). The Celeron was the lower spec processor chip in the Intel range, typically less on-board cache memory. But its not as straightforward as that :D so have a quick look at this article which should give you more info and background upon which to make your decision; Celeron vs Pentium (http://www.cpuscorecard.com/cpufaqs/sep99c.htm) or see How Stuff Works (http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question268.htm)

As for your dad's PAYG Siemens .... The best thing to do is write the number down somewhere safe, together with the number of the SIM (that should be printed on the SIM face itself and will be around 22 digits long. The actual phone number is related/mapped to the SIM back in the network itself. Should your pa lose the handset permanently, as you predict, then you should be able to get the network to issue you a new SIM coupled to the existing number. I had to arrange exactly this with O2 after a handset was stolen from a family member. O2 sent me a brand new SIM registered to the old number - which saved an awful lot of bother. I would think that most [if not all] network's Customer Services will do this, even if for a small charge.

3g-g
9th November 2006, 11:16 AM
Can he ask for a PAC code or something similar now and, say in a year, supply it so keep his number?

As for this question, I'd do as Hands0n recommended and keep a note of the phonenumber, the SIM number and the handset IMEI for the handset so if it does go missing you can request the PAC if required, they're only valid for 30 days iirc, so you can't go waiting for a year to use it!

Ben
9th November 2006, 01:01 PM
How much do the spec's of those machines matter to you personally? I assume both are capable at doing whatever it is you need to do on a laptop? If that's the case, just get rid of the one that bugs you. Otherwise, best keep the Pentium (Pentium M I assume? A good processor) over the Celery.

steve9025
10th November 2006, 01:59 AM
"Otherwise, best keep the Pentium (Pentium M I assume?"

Yep, sorry, should have said "Pentium(R) M" for the latter laptop. The high-pitch noise has strangely disappeared.

I've realised how much better the second laptop is. Battery life for it is 2h 45 mins, compared to 1hr 10 mins with the first. The second laptop also has room for a second battery (!). Could I really get 5+ hours if I have this extra batt. installed?

Ben
10th November 2006, 09:29 AM
Yes, possibly. I used to get about four and a half from an old Dell with a 1.8GHz Pentium M. It wasn't so keen on me charging the thing with both batteries in at once though, lol.

The M is a nice chip, I believe it actually forms the basis of Intel's new Core architecture as it's much more energy efficient than the old Pentium and Celery chips.