PDA

View Full Version : Linksys WRT54G3G Wireless-G Router for Vodafone 3G/UMTS Broadband

Ben
14th November 2006, 07:48 PM
Well, I guess it was inevitable, but I finally bought myself the Wireless-G Router for Vodafone 3G/UMTS Broadband. After all, it's made by Linksys, so how could I resist?

Opening up the box was a little scary... the router was covered in tape sternly instructing me to use the included (Windows only) CD before attempting to use the router. Well, blow that I though, and hooked it up anyway. Surprise surprise the web interface was immediately available on 192.168.1.1 and the CD landed in a heap of junk at the same time :D

Now, my Vodafone card is the HSDPA one from Huwuaaiai1i1iia (Huawei). Given that the router is from a time where only the 3G Connect datacard from Option existed I wasn't optimistic (or should that be Optionistic) about the chances of it working. I inserted the card with the router turned on and, indeed, nothing happened for a little while. I switched the power off and back on again and much to my delight everything connected and away I went - without so much as a firmware update which is quite an achievement for Linksys.

There's really nothing more to say. It just works and now I have a network capable of speeds of up to 1.8mbps (I can't verify this, no HSDPA here yet) that I can fit in my bag! The router includes QoS and doles out IP's and DNS settings via the integrated DHCP server. There's a setting to keep the connection alive or drop it when idle, and an Internet port should you wish to also make use of a cabled connection when it's a available.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=3193

Hands0n
15th November 2006, 12:51 AM
That is an exciting little box, I wish it were around when we did the HSBC construction project at Canary Wharf (thats the big one with HSBC writted large on the top :D). The use of BT landlines and modems was atrocious, even the temporary terrestrial data link got the chop occasionally at the hands of the contstruction (that should be destruction) labourers.

I can see very many applications for the Linksys and wonder how many get sold. With today's 3G data costs coming down all of the time it has to be a very viable proposition compared to a few years ago.

Marvelous :)

3g-g
15th November 2006, 01:27 AM
What locks the box to just Vodafone data card use? Could another operators version be used?

Ben
15th November 2006, 12:10 PM
I believe the firmware would include certain restrictions, but I've read around the web that users have successfully had this product working on other networks also.

It's a really interesting piece of kit. I should probably set up some overnight downloading on it to try and pop a flag at Vodafone that the area is ripe for HSDPA ;)

pompeydaz
20th November 2006, 01:12 PM
Hello there people. I'm new here, so good day to you all !!

Quick question......I'm looking to use this product in a bit of a unique environment. I look after the IT for a fleet of ships who all have 3G/GPRS connections.
I want to set up a basic network with access to the internet, and this product looks ideal. They are however using Orange Option Globetrotter cards.

Has anybody got this router to work with Orange or indeed any other network besides Vodafone ?

Cheers,

Daz

:cool:

Ben
20th November 2006, 07:27 PM
Hey Daz, welcome to Talk3G :)

I'm afraid I don't have another card to be able to try this for you, but as it's an Option card the router should, hopefully, have drivers for it.

However, according to expansys (http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=129557) the unit is SIM locked to Vodafone.

Hands0n
21st November 2006, 12:15 AM
Hey Daz, get one on "sale or return" or simply use the Distance Selling Regulations to allow you to assess one within 14 days of purchase. So long as you get a Returns number from the seller before their statutory time has elapsed you'll be okay to try one out - but don't damage the unit or as they say in the china shops "if its broke its yours" :D

pompeydaz
21st November 2006, 08:55 AM
Cheers Ben/HandsOn,

I just went and ordered one yesterday anyway. Hopefully it should arrive today.
As soon as I get it and whack the Orange card in I'll let you all know how I get on if anyone's interested ? :D

Hands0n
21st November 2006, 09:10 AM
Ho yes, we are always interested in such things. Do indeed let us know what the outcome was and also you objective and subjective opinion on the product. Certainly it is a unique and exciting device. Go gadget go :D

Hands0n
21st November 2006, 09:12 AM
However, according to expansys (http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=129557) the unit is SIM locked to Vodafone.

One has to wonder how on earth [and why even] Linksys would do that with a device that is not the actual mobile network apparatus (i.e. its the PCMCIA card that is the "mobile device" and not the router itself). I'd have thought that Linksys would be agnostic to the mobile network itself! Daz's experience will be of telling interest here :)

pompeydaz
21st November 2006, 09:21 AM
Ho yes, we are always interested in such things. Do indeed let us know what the outcome was and also you objective and subjective opinion on the product. Certainly it is a unique and exciting device. Go gadget go :D

Fear not, I shall return with news. :D

When i first saw this device come on the market (ooer) it looked like something that I could put to great use one day out on our fleet of fine marine vessels. Now the opportunity has arisen to put it into active service, I just hope the buffoons at LinkSys have not done some mad boffin trickery to make it unable to work with networks besides fecking Vodafone !!
I dont want to have to turn up at LinkSys HQ and open up a can of whoop-ass !! :D

pompeydaz
21st November 2006, 01:56 PM
Right then,

The thing turned up today. All Vodafone branded (not the device itself, but the box and CD). Followed the instructions and logged onto the router. The homepage is Vodafone branded also.
Plugged in my Orange card. The router detected the card fine.

Problem : the router was set to Vodafone UK by default. There is an option to manual select the network. I chose this option, but lo and behold all the choices are Vodafone or partners from the rest of the world !!

So no joy with the device "out of the box".

So I thought, sod it, I'll call LinkSys and ask for a firmware update or summat as its obviously coded in to restrict it.
The dude on the phone tells me it will only work with Vodafone, so unlucky.
I had a little search around and noticed that the device is available in other countries without Vodafone branding.

I then decided to go to the LinkSys Australia website and download the latest firmware release from there and see what happened.

BINGO !! I updated the firmware, and all of a sudden the router recognised the Orange network. All I then had to do was manually enter the APN settings (orangeinternet) and I was away.

Had it working in 5 mins with wireless and wired simultaneously, and also with a couple of laptops using a Cisco VPN client to connect to our corporate network.

Looks good, works well. Why the feck they can't unlock it for other mobile networks is beyond me, I think they'd sell a load of these boxes....:cool:

Hands0n
21st November 2006, 03:57 PM
Excellent stuff you ole hacker you :D I reckon you'd get yourself a good sideline in installing and commissioning these in yer neck of the woods.

It does seem rather amazing that the official line in Europe is that it is a Vodafone-only device. Thats like Linksys making an AOL-only router, how mad would that be.

Congrats on an amazing bit of detective work and identifying a working set of code from Linksys Australia - I guess you was never going to give up LOL ;)

I presume that you're getting the 3G data speeds you'd anticipate, around the 400Kps mark, or are you getting Orange HSDPA where you are? And if so, at what speeds is the Linksys reporting?

I so wish we'd had this technology five years ago, even with 2G/2.5G it would have solved a lot of problems on the building construction project I was involved in. Now, I'd have no hesitation recommending such a solution, even if it was just on Vodafone ....

An excellent result. :D :D

3g-g
21st November 2006, 04:11 PM
Top stuff fella, well done!

Now I think you should get some instructions and links on where you went / what you did onto this thread as I imagine there'll be quite a few folk that find this post looking at the Linksys solution for their 3G network needs... and now we know that any networks data card can be used they'll fly off the shelves!

pompeydaz
21st November 2006, 04:47 PM
Right.
Here's what I did.

Download the firmware from here :

http://www-au.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Download_C2&childpagename=AU%2FLayout&cid=1134692384207&packedargs=sku%3D1133203172368&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Use the yellow cable to connect your PCs ethernet port to one of the ethernet ports on the router.

Turn the router on and in your browser log on to the router (192.168.1.1). Default username and password is admin and admin.

Go to Administration --> Config Management - create a backup of the configuration in case it all goes Pete Tong !!

Then go to Firmware Upgrade and point to the file you downloaded earlier.

You should now be able to connect to the Orange network.

Go to Setup and you should see the Orange network. Now go to Setup -->3G/UMTS Network. Change the APN Selection Mode to "Custom Values" and enter the APN name "orangeinternet" and select "DNS Supplied by Network".

Bish bash bosh. That's about it I think. Obviously do any tweaks you so desire and obviously bolt down your Wireless security !! :D :cool:

Phew !! Mine's a pint of Kronie with a JD chaser, cheers !! ;)

ps - I'm pretty sure it was the Australian firmware, but if not it was definitely one of the other English speaking ones !! There's not too many to choose from !!

Hands0n
21st November 2006, 05:02 PM
See? You thought you were coming on Talk3G for all of the answers, and we got you working for us instead LOL :D

Cheers for that most superb write-up. I'm absolutely sure that others will make good benefit from it.

Once the data tariffs come down to more affordable levels, and HSDPA becomes the norm I can see this router becoming a staple device for those in rented accommodation or students - typically those who move around quite a bit and for whom fixed line broadband will not be a viable solution. This gives them an alternative to the traditional 56Kbps dial-up that they'd be tethered to. If I were in that position [and at this time] I'd certainly be using the likes of T-Mobile's Web N Walk Plus or Max (depending on my requirements). To be able to do so with the Linksys and a T-Mobile data card would untether me from the landline broadband solution. The tariffs need to come down for data for such a notion to become the norm though, and I do believe that the mobile network operators are just beginning to see the light!!

pompeydaz
21st November 2006, 05:24 PM
See? You thought you were coming on Talk3G for all of the answers, and we got you working for us instead LOL :D

Damn you. ;)

Hope the info is of use anyway. :cool:

Ben
21st November 2006, 07:51 PM
Thank you very much, pompeydaz++!

Do stick around and keep us up to date with your adventures :p

smartphonedoctor
24th January 2007, 12:01 AM
Hi, I thought I would register and tell my success story since it was this forum thread that made me research the topic.

I bought a Linksys WRT54G3G from Amazon, and already had a web and walk data card (its a t-mobile branded option 3G/UMTS plus wifi card) with a flat 17 pounds per month ex vat 2GB usage policy. Thats a lot of data I thought to myself so i wondered if I could use it with the WRT54G3G for when Im travelling for simplicity and for when at home as extra kids surfing bandwidth.....

I was successful. I wrote it up fully with screen shots at my website, but I didnt want to advertise the URL here so here is a summary.

Suffice it to say that the comments in the thread above helped a lot.

All I needed was the t-mobile APN settings and an unlocked Vodafone 3G card. Note that the t-mobile card was not recognised by the Linksys router. Also my work Vodafone Quad 3G card didnt work but it was locked to Voda so I cant be sure it was anything to do with the card.

What did work was the unlocked original Vodafone Option 3G Data Card (not the quad) I bought from ebay. I updated its firmware to latest and it worked more or less first time!

The Linksys WRT54G3G from Amazon UK had the latest firmware pre installed. It wasnt necessary to download the aussie firmware listed above.

It works beautifully. Its also a blazing 54G router too!

Thanks all for the clues above.

smartphonedoctor.

Hands0n
24th January 2007, 12:33 AM
@smartphonedoctor - Welcome to Talk3G and thank you for the excellent feedback. If and when the major mobile operators release user-friendly Data Tariffs (T-Mobile struck a wonderful lead with their Web N Walk as you've already mentioned) I do think that things like the Linksys WRT54G3G will become somewhat mainstream for those who do not get on with fixed-line communications.

It is good to see your experience and additional information that will be of use to those who want to follow in the footsteps.

Nice one :)

Ben
24th January 2007, 01:03 PM
Hey smartphonedoctor, thanks for posting :)

I love my WRT54G3G. Love love love. It's a fantastic backup for a wired connection, and comes into its own for sharing a 3G connection over WiFi. I use the Vodafone service with mine, with a HSDPA capable card, but unfortunately haven't been able to test HSDPA as yet. I'm assuming it will just work as the router recognises that the card is HSDPA. Coverage will be with us by the summer so I'll report further then.

smartphonedoctor
24th January 2007, 08:54 PM
I havent tried yet but I wonder if it can be set to have wired ( via dhcp ) and wireless (3G) all set up at the same time for Internet connectivity with routing set to use wired if available and 3G if not. Then in a hotel I dont have to change anything from the home settings......

Thats the next project..

smartphonedoctor

Ben
24th January 2007, 09:32 PM
Yep I think that's pretty straightforward, probably the devices intended functionality.

smartphonedoctor
24th January 2007, 10:53 PM
Im on ADSL at home and have a perfectly fine little network based on a 192.168.x.x

Literally all I had to do was set the WRT54G3G to static IP for its Internet Connection Type on the basic settings page, fill in the ip settings and bingo..

If I had a local DHCP server it would actually have been completely automatic.

Theres always something else to do isnt there :-)

pompeydaz
26th January 2007, 01:16 PM
I've rolled this bit of kit out in 3 locations now, and have 9 planned.....it's working very well.....the kit is located on ships, and it even switches to the Belgian and Dutch networks seamlessly......very happy bunny here !! :D

Ben
26th January 2007, 01:44 PM
Gosh, there must be some hefty roaming fees involved!

Great application of the device though. It's fantastic to be able to serve the Internet to wired and wireless computers/devices by plucking it straight out of the air!

I think a version of the WRT54G3G with an integrated battery or a battery accessory could be pretty exciting. Also a car cigarette lighter adapter if one doesn't already exist. The combination of WLAN and, specifically, HSDPA has vast potential for the supply of Internet access in the future. A truly mobile way of networking.

Hell, I want to fit one into my car now ;)

Peter Grant
26th January 2007, 04:21 PM
tried the australian firmware 1.99.8 but still cannot get the router to work with the T-Mobile datacard

any ideas

Ben
26th January 2007, 04:32 PM
Hey Peter Grant, welcome to Talk3G!

What happens when you try?
Does the web interface on the WRT54G3G recognise the card?
Do you see/receive any error messages?
Does the card power up (what is the status of the indicator LED's on the card)?

I've read (around the web) that the unit will accept other network SIMs inserted into unlocked generations of the Vodafone 3G Connect card. By that logic it could be that you'll need to find such a card in order to use the WRT54G3G on T-Mobile, assuming it works on T-Mobile at all.

Peter Grant
26th January 2007, 04:56 PM
The web interface does not recognise the T-Mobile web and walk data card and I have 1 blue led flashing on the card.

it has a t-mobile sim and I have put in the t-mobile pin and apn settings

Ben
26th January 2007, 05:59 PM
Hmm, I assume then that the card is incompatible, either because of the manufacturer/model or because of locking.

I haven't tried this, and I don't have time to read all the info available - but have a gander at OpenWRT:

http://downloads.openwrt.org/whiterussian/newest/bin/

http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=3276&p=5

OpenWRT make open source firmware that you can flash certain routers with, including the WRT54G3G by the look of it.

smartphonedoctor
28th January 2007, 10:55 PM
Hi, I can tell you that I tried for hours and the t-Mobile web and walk card (the one with WLAN) doesnt work with the Linksys router. Its the card I had and wanted to work.

Theres a solution: -

I bought an unlocked Vodafone Option 3G card on ebay and put the t-mobile sim card in it and it works perfectly. You can see all the screenshots of the setup on my website, hit my profile for the URL.

The good news is you can get 65 quid for your tmobile card and the option 3G card is less on ebay and unlocked. Every laptop in the world has WLAN anyway so the tmobile card is a bit pointless.

Your mileage may vary but you might end up turning a small profit!

Smartphonedoctor

Hands0n
29th January 2007, 01:03 AM
LOL, nice one :)

Ben
29th January 2007, 11:27 AM
That Vodafone Option 3G card, does it support HSDPA? I don't think my Option one did.

It may be better to try and find an unbranded huawei card that supports HSDPA, though that will most likely be at extra expense :(

I only mention this because T-Mobile's 3G is all, afaik, HSDPA-enabled. Using a card that doesn't support HSDPA would result in a big loss of potential performance.

smartphonedoctor
22nd March 2007, 01:07 PM
Good point. Im pretty happy with 3G access though. Does T-Mobile have HSDPA rolled out?

Ben
22nd March 2007, 08:05 PM
It does indeed, across the board (of 3G coverage) if what I hear is true.

Stealth
3rd April 2007, 08:47 AM
Hi,

Sorry to pop-in on this thread, but you guys seem to know a lot about this thingy :D

I've got the WRT54G3G with a Novatel 740 and can't seem to get these two to work together. I've used Vodacom's firmware 1.99.8 on the router, did the IDFix thing so the PID of the Novatel is 1400, but still no go... Later also tried the new 2.00.22 firmware, but this one also fails.

The Novatel blinks in blue (which is good I presume), but trying to connect will leave the device unresponsive. Also booting the router with the card in it, will leave the green power-led flashing and the device unresponsive.

I tried the Novatel in my laptop and it works without a problem. Did remove the pincode just in case the router is bothered by it, but don't know whether that was necessary. My Novatel is pretty new, has 28.2 as firmware. So didn't try the 27.2 firmware on the Vodacom website.

Any clues? Tips?

Cheers,
Erik

Ben
3rd April 2007, 09:57 AM
Hi, welcome to Talk3G.

It's possible that the WRT54G3G doesn't have drivers for this card (yet)? It certainly sounds like that's possible. Either that or there's a bug preventing your cards firmware version from working with the drivers on the router.

Do you know people who have had success with this combination?

Stealth
3rd April 2007, 10:37 AM
Hi Ben,

The firmware specifies it can operate the Novatel 740.

Is there any way to get some more info out of the box? The logging from the Linksys menu is only usefull for incoming and outgoing connections...and I'm not quite that far in the process ;)

Cheers,
Erik

Applecom
9th June 2007, 03:46 PM
Ok here is my story.

i got a WRT54g3G middle of last ear when they came out, to use with my T-Mobile sim and card.

My router came with 1.998 already on it, of corse to my dispair it did not work with my T-Mobile card, so from ebay i got a vodafone branded u630 its was unlocked and worked fine on T-mobile after i set the correct APN etc, as this was only a 3g card and not a HSDPA card, and all t-mobile 3g sites support HSDPA i purchased a unlocked vodafone branded U740, this also worked fine connection at 1.8mb everwhere, ( average speed was 1.2 to 1.3 mb.

i had this in my car, with a network printer so i could wireless print invoices whilt out working.

The bad bit....... My wife insisted we go to IKEA to purchase a new bed... and in doing so i removed the Router and U740 card to get the bed in the car, but stupidley left them there in the car park.

so i got a replacement sim and continued to use my existing T-Mobile HSDPA Card in my laptop, So finally my question, i am going to get another router, but it stll looks 1 year on as if there is no fix, hack, firmware to use my T-Mobile data card in the wrt54g, Has anyone triel flashing the t-mobile cards with Vodafone firmware, i know it will screw it as to the WiFi, but who cares about that.

One last thing. i was going to put a Axis network camera in the car, but T-Mobile only give you a internal IP address so it cant be done, on Voda, Orange and o2 you get a real IP address, but who can afford there data prices.

Last Last thing, i am writing this useing my T-Mobile data card, and noticed i cant sign into MSN messanger, T-mobile have for months been saying they are going to block it, have they actially done it now.

All he bestto everyone and happy hacking with the WRT54G3G

John

Ben
10th June 2007, 12:31 AM
Interesting story! Your car sounded like a technological dream!

Re: external IP's - I'm not sure any of the networks provide these. I'm not 100% certain, but I think Vodafone assigns internal ones. None of the networks want their subscribers providing externally accessible services over expensive cellular data.

I'm still using Vodafone with my WRT54G3G, so I'm afraid I haven't got any suggestions as to how you might force it to accept a T-Mobile card. You may well need to go down the same road you went down before.

Good luck, and welcome to Talk3G! I'd love to hear how you get on.

Applecom
14th June 2007, 07:17 PM
OK, i got a replacement WRT54g3G and it came with er 1.998 and was listed as version v1.1. Ofcorse my T-Mobile data card did not work, i flashed it with uk firmware 2.01.02, This of corse still did not see the T-Mobile Card.

If you put in the data card and then power the router up, unlike befor the cards lights look normal, flashing whilst the find the network, then flashing twice blue to show i hae 3g coverage, But the router still dose not hae a clue that there is a card in it.

As i was board and had hours and hours to spair, i rang Linksys UK ( lets say did not seem to be a uk person that answered) I said hello i have a wrt54g3g v1.1, i wish it to work with a Options GT Fusion card thats branded by T-Mobile. I explained that i had got the router 10 mins ago and had already flashed the latest uk firmware, Could he please tell me of any plans to support this card, or any hacked firmware that worked.

Of corse Mr Linksys man asked a million questions, and got me to try everything, from picking my nose, to eating a pizza, after everything he got me to try i said the router dose not see the data card, i need a different, or hacked firmware, this went on for 80 mins, until he finaly said it dose not work, i dont know what to try, you must return it for a refund.

i would like to use the options card as i still have the external 3g aerial in my car, I see from the picture on the router box that there are 6 cards supported ( back on 1.998 ) Options do the card that looks the same as the T-mobile one the 3g quad, and another one that also looks the same and they simply call it a option 1.8Mbs, So off to ebay now to get one, anyone know how to tell the differance, or is it like the Novatel u630 and u740, as in the later says HSDPA on the box

Applecom
14th June 2007, 08:32 PM
Been looking on ebay for a hsdpa card, and seen the novatel X870 express cards, and as T-Mobile at the end of the year are going straight to 7.2Mbs (missing out 3.6Mbs) this seemed a good option, the spec with the 2.01.02 firmware says it supports this card (with the PCMCIA - Express card adapter )

Ebay is full of cheap express cards as people dont have express stots, but even tho novatel make a adapter, they dont seeem to sell it anywhere.

Ben
20th June 2007, 06:43 PM
Well, this thing saved my ass again today :) The HSDPA speeds now really are excellent on Vodafone, browsing was actually better than my cruddy ADSL on larger pages. Latency is still hanging in there at ~100ms also.

So yeah, ADSL provider decided to die for a few hours today. No problem - swap the IP address of the router with the WRT54G3G and connectivity is restored to every machine on the network. Gotta love that!

bsrjl1
20th June 2007, 10:11 PM
...and as T-Mobile at the end of the year are going straight to 7.2Mbs (missing out 3.6Mbs) ....

I'm pretty sure they have 16QAM support now & are at 3.6Mb. I've been getting very close to that speed on large downloads in the last few weeks.

Applecom
21st June 2007, 12:58 PM
Excellent. What are you useing a XU870 Express card? if you are, are you using it in a new laptop, or with the adapter in the WRT54G3G

Thanks
John

Applecom
12th July 2007, 05:39 PM
i have no installed the WRT54g3g into the car, with external WiFi and Cellular aerials, i managed to ponce a options GT Max 7.2 sample card.

the good bit, i am at the moment sitting in the cafe at moat park swimming pool in maidstone with the carparked as close the building as i could get it, whilst the kids are swimming.

Some one behing me had noticed i was looking at ebay but did not have a data card in my laptop, so he came over and said, last time i was here they did not have WiFi here, when i explained they havenet, and pointed to my car, he asked how fast, so whilst he was watching i went to adslgide.org, and luckley got 360k up and 2.5 Mbs down, with this he walked off with the hump.........

Ben
12th July 2007, 06:01 PM
That just oozes cool. Thanks for the update! Pictures? ;)

Applecom
12th July 2007, 06:14 PM
No problem Ben, will take some pictures....

on that note, i have bben trying to put a Axis IP camera in the car ( no reason other than i am a geek...) but i phoned T-Mobile and said i wanted the printer in the car to be accessable from our office, so could i please have a exterinal IP instead of ther internal 10.x.x.x.

After a few days they phoned me and said they had changed my account so i could get a propper external IP. I now connect via vpn.t-mobile.uk

this works and i normally get a 149.x.x.x IP, But i have put a dyndns account into the router, and if checked this points to a 149.x.x.x IP,

but its not quite the same IP as the router is telling me i have, I have spoke with T-Mobile manny times, but no one has any idea ow i can been seen from the real world into the linksys box

i can of corse set the camera to upload a picture every "x" seconds, but this would waste some much data, i would rather a viewer loged into the camera, so there is only data flowing when needed.

unless anyone has any ideas, i will try adding a draytek router behind the linksys, and makeing a tunnel home , then trying this way, so hopefully my home dns account, will then point to a camera in the car over the tunnel created by the linksys,

oh and last thing, yes i have removed the cars air filter, and made a bracket to hold a second 75 a/h battery to runn all this crap

Hands0n
12th July 2007, 09:50 PM
I have heard and read of mobile communications but honestly, this is taking the piddle :D :D :D

Marvelous :)

Ben
13th July 2007, 09:26 AM
I think making a VPN/tunnel back to another network would be a good idea. I'd imagine that's what T-Mobile were intending given what you're connecting on, so it's possible the agents don't fully understand what you want to do. The networks simply don't want us providing services over their precious 3G networks, even if we're prepared to pay for the bandwidth!

Now you just need to figure out a way of charging people for hotspot access as you wonder around in your car ;) Not that T-Mobile would like that very much either, I'd imagine!

Applecom
13th July 2007, 09:54 AM
Morning Ben, T-Mobile dont have a problem with you doing VPN to access your home or work place, thats why they say they provide the "vpn" APN, as some people or companies use 10.x.x.x as ther internal range, and it you try and log in from T-Mobile with a 10.x.x.x range it dose not work.

Hence the VPN AP, to give you what seems to be a external IP so your VPN server dose not get the hump.

VPN is usefull if you are tight like me..... T-Mobile has now enforced there tarrifs, the old £20 - 2GB tarrif no longer works with MSN or skype, but the £30 - 3GB dose, and the £45 - 10GB dose both skype and MSN.

so tight people like me pay £20 per month, then VPN Home, and use MSN and skype from home

Ben
13th July 2007, 11:04 AM
Oh totally, they don't mind you using VPNs, but they're not going to want to give you a 'true' external IP, despite the agents best efforts, as they don't want you running a HTTP or FTP server, or having an easy time with P2P. Thy're all way too overprotective IMHO!