View Full Version : 3's migration rule hits sales

3GScottishUser
15th November 2006, 11:51 AM
From Mobile Today (14/11/2006):

3's new downward migration policy has made it more difficult to close deals, according to retailers. The change has forced many dealers to change their selling approach, as offering to downgrade customers onto a lower tariff was often used as part of their sales pitch.

A Phones 4u salesman told Mobile: 'It has affected sales at Phones 4u because a lot of people were sold when we'd say, “Come in at nine months and we will have a look at your tariff and we'll change it down and give you something else”.' Another 4u salesman added: 'It has made it harder to close deals but we have just had to overcome it and change our approach.'

A Carphone staffer told Mobile that his store made few 3 connections, but that the changes could affect a 3 sales pitch.

Independent dealers have also said the policy change has affected their sales. One dealer said he has only been able to sell five 3 contracts in ten days because of the change, where he would normally sell 200. Another said: 'If we can't downgrade the tariff it puts customers off.'

3 store staff said the new rules don't have much of an impact on their sales pitch. 'It doesn't really affect us too greatly. A lot of our deals give you half-price 12-month line rental anyway so people wouldn't migrate prior to their half-price offer period. It doesn't really have a negative effect.'

The network's new rules state that all new and upgrading customers can't be moved to a lower-value price plan during the first 12 months. Those on an 18-month plan can only drop down to the next lowest comparable price plan. The rule changes were made effective on 1 November. Dealers and retailers said they are inclined to sell more O2 now to downgrade-conscious customers, as the network's customers can downgrade at month six.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/content/15154.asp?men=1&sub=6

miffed
15th November 2006, 12:21 PM
I must admit , I was blindsided by this when I took out my latest Three contract ( fortunately it didn't get past the 14 days )
My plan was to switch to the lowest monthly tarrif after the Half price period -(as I did with all my previous 3 contracts ) but I noticed on the literature that arrived with the phone that I was only allowed to migrate twice , and only on step at a time :mad:

Hands0n
15th November 2006, 07:01 PM
Every day, in every way, I am so glad I ditched 3 when I had the chance to at the beginning of this year. My Threepay SIM in the Nokia 6680 has £10 left to use up and then its going in the bin and the 6680 on eBay. I've had it with those clowns.

I really do feel for them, they truly deserve much better. But they have consistently blown it in their Customer Services. So much so that I no longer feel any whim to offer them patronage with my hard earned. There are [far] less painful ways of having a mobile phone facility than doing business with 3, as many have found out before and in times to come.