View Full Version : Almost all of Vodafone's 3G network to be HSDPA within 6 months

Ben
17th November 2006, 03:04 PM
According to maps.vodafone.co.uk, within 6 months almost all of their 3G coverage will be HSDPA enabled. This is a vast change from the rather poor picture of HSDPA coverage currently available on Vodafone.

As a Vodafone 3G datacard customer this is fantastic news for me as the places where I use my card most will be covered. HSDPA brings major advancements in available bandwidth and latency reduction, allowing for a true 'broadband' experience on the move.

So, 2007 then will be the big year for mobile data advances?

miffed
17th November 2006, 03:28 PM
Cool !

Might have to try my Voda sim in my redundant m3100 then ...

...Wonder where the nearest HSDPA covered field is around here:rolleyes:

3GScottishUser
17th November 2006, 08:24 PM
No surprise... they are motoring on HSDPA now as are T-Mobile and 02.

Happy to report that Glasgow is already covered by Vodafone HSDPA... I might be tempted to get a compatible handset as an upgrade instead of terminating in December if they offer a decent data tariff...

Up to Vodafone ...

Hands0n
17th November 2006, 11:06 PM
Well that is all very nice and dandy but ......... where's the decent affordable Data Tariff then? None of this HSDPA malarky is of any use if Vodafone continue to charge premium prices for their data services.

miffed
18th November 2006, 08:43 AM
Well that is all very nice and dandy but ......... where's the decent affordable Data Tariff then? None of this HSDPA malarky is of any use if Vodafone continue to charge premium prices for their data services.

This is the problem - I expect there is some Desk bound idiot at each of the Networks who is saying "We couldn't possibly consider selling data for less than £2-3 per mb ! imagine the rammifications .... we'll go bankrupt ....."
(Blind to the fact that if they reduced the price they may actually sell some :) )

In the meantime anyon who is anywhere near serious about mobile data
(& not a millionare ) will innevitabley end up on the only network offering a sensible soloution - T-mobile
I think we will see a similar thing to when Three were offering ridiculous amounts of Voice & Text for very little line rental with heavily subsidised handsets - All the other nets seemed to unite in not competing (i.e. - if you can't compete effectively - then make a point of not even trying )
The difference here though - is T-mobile seems to offer the most stable mobile data I have used - whereas Three's product had issues , which may have given the other Networks th confidence to not bother competeting with them