View Full Version : Vodafone HSDPA 3G USB Modem arrives... mixed thoughts

Ben
21st November 2006, 06:49 PM
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/11/21/review_vodafone_mobile_connect_modem/

It might not be as convenient to fit an add-in card HSDPA device, but Vodafone's Mobile Connect Modem is the perfect connectivity gadget for Mac and Windows users whose notebooks support the ExpressCard add-in card format rather than the older PC Card system. Vodafone charges no premium for it, and carrying this compact dongle and its very short USB cable isn't going to hinder your travel plans. If you want high-speed data access on the move, you can't go far wrong with this device.
I don't doubt that it's a good device, but there's a few things wrong:
1) Doesn't slot straight into a computer, uses a cable due to mini USB connector.
2) Doesn't have Mac OS X drivers in the flash partition, they have to be downloaded separately or installed from the CD.
3) Data prices remain crazy.

On the upside, I do want a Mac laptop - at least this will be an easy way to take Vodafone 3G Broadband with me to the 'light side' if Apple don't offer integrated HSDPA as an option when they produce a machine that takes my fancy.

All in all, though, I'm :(

Hands0n
21st November 2006, 10:02 PM
I had a read through the article and the posted comments. It does sound like a resonable way to be going, especially for the Windoze world. But the Mac folk are not catered for en-suite, rather having to get their stuff off the CD. Why couldn't the drivers be put on the flash partition also - they don't have to auto-run, just a simple fly-sheet telling us where to get them from would do for most.

USB cable'd "dongles" like these are getting more and more common. We already have them with WiFi and in some cases Bluetooth. The thing is that these get a bit messy, with wires hanging all over the place. But the alternative seems to be to have these hardware devices sticking out of the laptop and prone to being damaged. Or worse, damaging the laptop's own USB port!

3g-g
22nd November 2006, 12:24 AM
It's a shame to be sure, however, when 95% of the world is Microsoft and only 5% is Mac why should anyone bother? :( USB is great, it's the way I made my PC Bluetooth enabled, however, it's a port lost at the back, and as Hands0n says, I've now something sticking out ready to be damaged! See you guys that insist Apple is the way forward... what shall we do with you! :p

Ben
22nd November 2006, 03:01 PM
The more I think about it, the more likely it is that I'd at least wait for an ExpressCard HSDPA card before buying a Mac laptop. SIM-Free HSDPA ExpressCards are already available, and T-Mobile ship one with selected Sony Vaio laptops (rather than integrating it, cheats) so I guess all is not lost!

On the upside, a USB-HSDPA modem for (temporarily) fixed broadband use would be good, as the cable gives the ability to reposition the modem for better signal.

Edit: Mmm MacBook - and TR award winner. (http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-devices/review/2006/11/21/Vodafone-USB-Mobile-Connect-Modem/p1)

getti
22nd November 2006, 08:54 PM
I have switched back to the dark side and got a windows laptop after my core 2 macbook pro was too big (plus had a problem with the left speaker).

Now own a core 2 duo phillips with an express card slot so hopefully there will be a HSDPA card for that soon,

Ben
12th December 2006, 02:37 PM
Had a look at the HSDPA dongle in Voda Bluewater the other day. It's not exactly USB key sized (it's frickin big by those standards) but it'd certainly do the job. Not as neat as an ExpressCard solution, though, for a laptop, but the multi-purpose applications are much more interesting.

faza20
12th December 2006, 05:30 PM
Option make a HSDPA Express data card.

http://www.option.com/products/globetrotter_expresscard72.shtml

Don't know if Voda will ever stock though as the USB modem eliminates the need for 1.....

Ben
13th December 2006, 01:11 AM
I'm sure they will, it'll replace the PCMCIA versions in time once more laptops make the switch. Of course I'm rather hoping that Intel integrate third generation mobile network connectivity into a future version of Centrino to eliminate all this faffing about.

faza20
13th December 2006, 08:09 AM
I know Dell sell laptops that have 3rd Gen capabilities (provided by Voda :p ) already.

Ben
13th December 2006, 11:27 AM
Indeed they do, along with Lenovo and (either Asus or Acer... I can never remember). Sony claim selected laptops have T-Mobile broadband but it's really just an ExpressCard that Sony are providing and including a T-Mobile SIM - talk about cheats! :D