View Full Version : Can you smell burning?

3g-g
21st April 2005, 03:24 PM
Not to worry anyone needlessly, this handset is still well within government guidelines, however, the SE Z1010 is the 2nd highest rated handset for SAR (specific absorbtion rate) in Europe.

For those that are unaware of what SAR is, it's a figure which indicates the amount of microwave radiation absorbed into a specific body, in mobile terms, the head is the usual body refered to. Europe has the most stringent SAR guidelines for what they decide is safe.

Europes limit: 2.0W/kg in 10g of tissue

Australias limit: 1.6W/kg in 1g of tissue.

US limits: 1.6W/kg in 1g of tissue.

You can find the top 20 highest SAR rated handsets in Europe here. (http://www.sarvalues.com/eu-highest-sar.html)

Ben
21st April 2005, 05:06 PM
Sony Ericssons do seem to give off a lot of radiation in general from what I've read - and as I've found Sony Ericsson phones to have a negative influence on the usability of available network coverage I honestly can't think of a good reason for this. Nokia's typically produce under 1W/kg and manage, in my personal experience, to give a much better service in areas where signal quality is variable.

I'm shocked to see we allow just 0.2W/kg of radiation when other areas allow up to 1.6W/kg - that's a massive difference! I'm very pleased it's like that though, there's certainly no need whatsoever for SAR to be above 2W/kg.

Great post.