View Full Version : Flip 3G Handset

chagle
26th November 2006, 09:46 AM
Hi all,

Looking for get the other half a Flip 3G handset... such a minefield!

Obviously, want 3G - O2 Network, looking at PAYG as they seem cheaper to buy than Sim Free.

I have a pay monthly sim ready for it...

Like a ok'ish camera.. video calling.. not bother too much about music.

Up to £200?

Any suggestions...?

Glen.

Hands0n
26th November 2006, 10:04 AM
Yup, why not check out the Vodafone-branded Samsung Z500 (http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/Pay-As-You-Talk-Samsung-Z500-PTSM26-311.htm) which is £135. Or for something thinner there is the Samsung Z540 (probably from eBay as it seems to be only a contract phone on Voda - expect to pay around £150-£175).

Both of these are easy to unlock, with a kit or code from eBay.

Both are splendid 3G handsets, very compact, very functional and very tiny for a 3G phone (I think the Z500 was the smallest in its time, it is twee :D ).

HTH

chagle
26th November 2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Strange isn't it.. I had thoughts of Samsung myself. They really do look like great phones/features.

I will look into your reply....

Thanks,

Glen. :)

Hands0n
26th November 2006, 06:33 PM
You're very welcome.

I've actually got both, each is unlocked, but they both carry the Vodafone PAYT SIM where I'm using them with the new Vodafone Family deal (£5 per month for all you can eat between four Voda handsets).

The Z500 I bought over the counter from the Vodafone store at Bluewater.
The Z540 I bought from someone on eBay - I'm sure its a contract-only handset at the moment. It is the slimmer of the two, but is wider where the Z500 is smaller all round but thicker.

Good luck with your research - do let us know what you decided on eventually ,and of course your Mrs' reaction to the new baby :D

chagle
26th November 2006, 06:50 PM
:)

I do like the Samsung Z5xx - they look so nice!

Although they are Vodafone - I would use a O2 sim. Are they heavily Vodafone branded?

Glen :)

Hands0n
26th November 2006, 06:59 PM
Gorgeous is the word I use :) Samsung do have a lot of right ideas. The OS is consistent through a range, which is nice for upgrading.

They are Vodafone branded, although not "heavy" in the sense of some networks. I did read somewhere that the branding prevents using MP3 files as ringtone and messagetones - naughty Voda. But there are unbranding kits which will put the handset back to the Samsung out-of-the-factory state, all network branding gone! I bought one on eBay for £3 for the Z500 but seeing as I'm now using it on Vodafone I've not actually bothered to de-brand the Z500.

That said, I did get the Z500 to work fine with my T-Mobile contract SIM, also an O2 PAYG and easyMobile SIMs too ... Not sure if I went as far as getting the MMS settings installed, but these handsets will store a number (I think 5) of different GPRS and MMS profiles so installing the O2 set shouldn't be difficult. You should be able to get them SMS'd to you from either O2's support pages or even Samsung's website itself. I had to do this with the Voda settings! They were incomplete on both the handsets !!! Go figure :rolleyes:

chagle
26th November 2006, 07:37 PM
Hello again.

Also looking at the Z510 - Just a bit worries about branding. I can get a Z510 on O2 PAYG. £149 .. doesn't seem bad.

Need to do some more Google searches... :) (Like you do)

Glen. :o

Hands0n
26th November 2006, 08:57 PM
Nice phone the Z510 - it seems to be only on Contract, but no doubt available on eBay. The printer that goes with it on the O2 website is superb. It uses dye sublimination - not the cheapest way of printing, but the colours are par excellent, real depth and feel - like looking out of a window! I got one with a D500 from The Link earlier this year. Works with anything.

chagle
26th November 2006, 11:38 PM
I've seen the Z510 @ phones4u on PAYG for £149.. and that's on O2, so it'll work a treat with my pay monthly sim.

So might go for that.. looks a little cracker.

Glen.