View Full Version : T-Mobile Launches First HSDPA Consumer Handset

Ben
28th November 2006, 05:29 PM
http://www.trustedreviews.com/cpu-memory/news/2006/11/28/T-Mobile-Launches-First-HSDPA-Consumer-Handset/p1

Yummy, this is when it starts to get interesting.

Alongside its headlining HSDPA compatibility the Z560 serves up a large 2.3in 262k colour screen with familiar 320 x 240 resolution and what is fast becoming a defacto standard in upper/mid level phones: a two megapixel digital camera. It also plays back audio and video, has Bluetooth 2.0, stereo speakers, 30MB of onboard memory and a microSD expansion slot. All this fits inside a super light weight body which weighs just 98g.

Furthermore, the killer aspect to the Z560 is the fact it can be connected to a laptop and used as a modem which in one fell swoop eliminates the need to for a separate 3G data card and additional tariff. On top of this T-Mobile officially states “When being used as a modem, users are allowed to make full use of IM and VoIP services.”
Now it really is starting to all boil down to coverage. Are market forces going to result in an acceptable high-speed-network rollout? Or will more regulation be required?

getti
28th November 2006, 08:47 PM
Tried it. Signal in places on this phone is crap to be honest. I had one on T-Mobile as they said i get signal but i got 0 3G and 1 2G if i was lucky. Put the same SIM in the TyTN and it was 3 bard 2G, put it in the N93 and i got 2 bars 3G.

Apart from that its a nice phone and the HSDPA is very quick

miffed
28th November 2006, 09:24 PM
Well I had the (.... um , what do you call the one before the first ? :rolleyes: ) HSDPA handset on T-mobile .... (well , an SPV m3100 posing as an MDA Vario II anyway ... )
Obviously it all comes down to personal area etc , but as I have mentioned before , I have actually tried to "shake off" the T-mobile 3G signal & found it quite difficult to lose ! it is definately the most abundant signal (perhaps with the excpetion of than Three's) in all the areas I have been lately

Hands0n
28th November 2006, 10:41 PM
On top of this T-Mobile officially states “When being used as a modem, users are allowed to make full use of IM and VoIP services.”

Wow! I'm using IM on Web N Walk Plus which seems to be permitted according to what I can find in the FUP. But VoIP has been specifically banned to date! And the reviewer is suggesting that all of this can be done on the £7.50 WNW? I don't think so, unless T-Mobile have shifted the goalposts yet again (not to be unexpected since I've now upped to the Plus version).

Like Miffed, I have had extreme difficulty in losing the T-Mobile 3G signal in my normal areas of work and play, all around North Kent. To be true, the 3G availability is not quite that of 3's when I was with them earlier in the year. But I have to say that T-Mobile's is a very, very, close second to 3's in terms of coverage. Quality, though, is outstanding. Even without HSDPA it is fast and accurate. Used with a laptop it is hard to discern between 3G and 512Kbps landline broadband.

I have always like the Samsung line, and their Z series 3G handsets are gorgeous to behold (I'm having a ball with their Z500 and Z540). The 3G signals (albeit with Vodafone) are as solid as they are on the SE W900i so there is no suggestion that there is a problem with the Samsung line, in my view.

Yet again, T-Mobile are scoring some firsts. These boy's will go far if they keep this up.