View Full Version : O2 punts free phone backup

Hands0n
30th November 2006, 10:20 PM
An interesting idea from O2.

O2 has begun pushing an early iteration of its My bluebook upload service, which enables subscribers to copy data to a password-protected web-accessible account.

My bluebook has been around a while but O2 has kept it relatively quiet as it implements bits that might make the effort of signing up worthwile. Next year the service will be automatic so all texts and media messages will be mirrored to the user's My bluebook area. At the moment there's a faffy shortcode text number to upload material to.

O2 says it's also building in an automatic address book synchronisation feature, which would provide a useful no-brainer backup for those, almost, inevitable incidents of leaving one's phone in a taxi/toilet/swamp. It'll also be compatible with Microsoft Outlook, if you're into that sort of thing.

The ubiquitous social angle is there too, with subscribers able to share their content via forwarded weblinks.

O2 say My bluebook is free and uploading won't even incur any data charges or use up any of your GPRS allowance. But there is one catch. The Ts and Cs ensure subscribers won't be able to take the contents of their bluebook with them should they up sticks to another operator. ®

Article Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/29/o2_my_bluebook/

3g-g
1st December 2006, 12:24 AM
This is something that T-Mobile USA do already, there have been instances of hacking into peoples accounts for information stored, I believe Paris Hilton was a once a victim of it. It's a good idea as long as it's properly implemented and secured.

Ben
1st December 2006, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I'm not over the moon about the idea to be honest. Orange have an online contacts sync system that used to work with my Z1010 (and was awesome) but that's as far as I'd like to see it go. I wouldn't want to be reminded of the crud I send out on a daily basis, yet alone run the risk of someone else being able to access it.

gorilla
13th December 2006, 04:29 PM
I wont be using it. As long as I can save my contacts on my pc, that's all I'll need. I can't see me staying with O2 either, their coverage is slowly deteriorating in my area, to such an extent that I often get a call in the house that goes straight to voicemail. And they said 3 was bad. I want my 3 back! Oh and before I finish my rant, they data rates are shocking and their connection unreliable.

Ben
13th December 2006, 05:03 PM
Oh dear, not a big vote of confidence there for the now-Telefonica-owned O2.