View Full Version : Major Vodafone Outage

Ben
1st December 2006, 11:30 AM
3G in my area is currently unavailable. The handset has to be manually switched to 2G in order to work correctly.

I called Vodafone Busines Teams to see if this was a localised issue (maybe HSDPA being installed I thought!) but a recorded message is being played to all customers apologising for the network distruption.

Anyone know what broke, and who did it? :p

miffed
1st December 2006, 12:00 PM
Vodafone are great :)

My "bugger all" 3G coverage has remained constant

Perhaps they have decided to turn the cell off , which seems to be what they did with my local cell ( worked fine last December ! ) - I did mail Vodafone CS about it , but they are obviously far to busy to respond or anything

As with all Vodafone matters - best of luck ;)

Ben
1st December 2006, 01:32 PM
It was just on BBC News - about half a million people affected apparently, problems encountered while rolling out upgrades. I wonder if it does have something to do with HSDPA as most of Vodafone's 3G network that isn't enabled is scheduled to be within the next 6 months... fingers crossed.

Hands0n
1st December 2006, 01:34 PM
I got 3G where I am in Norf Kent

Ben
1st December 2006, 01:49 PM
Oo, do you know if you already have HSDPA there?

Hands0n
1st December 2006, 01:50 PM
Nah, sorry, I've only got the W900i to play with ...... "I'm just a poor boy from a poor family, spare me this life from this monstrosity ......... " :D

Ben
1st December 2006, 01:52 PM
Get your ass on the coverage checker boy :p http://maps.vodafone.co.uk/coverageviewer/web/default.aspx

Hands0n
1st December 2006, 01:59 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D Yippee! :D :D :D :D

According to the checker I am in a 3G Broadband area with up to 1.4Mbps coverage.

Can't afford their data packs at the moment though. Come on Vodafone, lets get a bit real here - meet T-Mobile head on and you can have some of my dosh.

Ben
1st December 2006, 02:02 PM
I reckon we've cracked it then, they're upgrading HSDPA on the rest of the network not already updated... or at least they were trying to.

faza20
1st December 2006, 02:30 PM
Hiya guys

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but what actually happened was 9 HLR's went down.

Ben
1st December 2006, 03:27 PM
Upgrade my ass *shoots BBC News*

Thanks faza20, welcome to Talk3G :) Still no Voda 3G here.

Hands0n
1st December 2006, 04:32 PM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but what actually happened was 9 HLR's went down.

Ooooh, I bet that registered rather high on the "Whoops Richter Scale" :eek:

3g-g
1st December 2006, 06:26 PM
9 HLRs!? Bleeding heck! That'll be about right what I heard on the radio then, 8 million subs affected! How'd they manage to lose so many in one go? Who's for the chopping block for that gaff then!?

Ben
1st December 2006, 06:55 PM
The BBC have a brief article up now: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6199662.stm