View Full Version : Administering Vodafone Family - If you've multiple handsets on the account read on

Hands0n
2nd December 2006, 01:14 PM
My mobile phone account with Vodfone has two handsets registered on it. The first was taken up for my daughter, the second is the number that is used by myself. So far so good. Both of these numbers can be administered on Vodafone's "My Vodafone" website.

With Vodafone Family there is a significant problem. You can only, at this time, administer the first registered number on the account. That, for me, is a major problem because it is my number which is the owner of the Family group. As such, the Vodafone Family section of their website will not allow access to my group held under that number. It only recognises, and offers, the primary number registered on the account.

Vodafone CS have today acknowleged the problem with me, after several tries with them. There is absolutely nothing that Vodfone can do to solve the problem, it is a fundamental programming error on Vodfone's behalf. I have asked for this issue to be raised with their IT programming teams, and the CS has said that it will be done. We can only wait and see if the Programmers are able/inclined to resolve this issue. It needs to be resolved, as I cannot believe that I am the only inconvenienced Vodafone customer with multiple handsets on the account where the non-primary one is the owner of a Family group.

What a major oversight by their Programming team, someone took a shortcut methinks. I'd be docking someone's Christmas bonus for this if I were in charge!

vfDeac27
11th December 2006, 10:02 AM
If you're still having problems, HandsOn, one of our online team can get you further updates from our IT department. I've not come across this problem myself as of yet, but as you say it does require further investigation. If you wanted any updates a member of our email department can speak with the IT team for you and we can chase this up by reviewing your account notes. You'd just have to contact customer services by going to www.vodafone.co.uk, selecting 'contact us' at the bottom of the screen, then 'email', leaving FIT135 in the body of the email and (if you wish) a link to this thread.

Hands0n
11th December 2006, 12:17 PM
Hey thanks for that - I have done all that you have suggested, the advice is much appreciated. It will be interesting to see what comes back. This is a rather silly issue that should not have arisen. I suspect a simple programming logic error at the design stage. But if people will have multiple handsets under a single account with Vodafone, then I won't be the only person so afflicted!

I've linked to this thread also :)

NB: The problem is still there

The following mobile number is held against your account. Click continue to use this number.
Vodafone phone number
07795******

It does not allow me to select the other (my) number on the account! That other (my) number is the owner of the Family group.

Hands0n
12th December 2006, 11:55 PM
Vodafone's CS are right on top of this issue at the moment.

I have had an email from an individual who has taken ownership of the problem - that is very refreshing, it saves having to re-iterate the problem each time I contact Vodafone. He has also been able to replicate my issue with Family on his own company account where he has, like me, had an original phone and subsequently added another. Using the second handset/number he established a Family group, and like me was unable to access the web-based Family administration page for that second handset.

The issue has been escalated to Vodafone's IT group for them to assess and resolve, if possible.

I do not anticipate a rapid solution to this, nor [I believe] would it be reasonable to expect one. But it is essential that issues like these, which appear to be systemic in the Vodafone IT, be resolved.

Vodafone are handling this very professionally and the feedback I am in receipt of is simply excellent. A template for all of the mobile network operators to follow. Big slap on the back for Vodafone.

Hands0n
15th December 2006, 09:20 PM
Update:
Vodafone are working on the problem it seems. They've also credited me with a nice little token sweetener for my troubles, which is awfully nice.

Today I got the following unsolicited .....

Good evening Mr ********,

Just to provide you with an update.

Our I.T department are now performing a full investigation of the Vodafone Family issue on the vodafone.co.uk website.

I will be contacting them again when I return to the office on Monday to obtain further information on the previously provided reference number.

Kind regards

Vodafone Customer Services

Now, this is how a Customer Services operation should function and relate to the Customer when a tricky problem is identified. Perhaps someone should share this information with those tw*ts at a certain Mumbai Call Centre.

Ben
17th December 2006, 01:15 AM
Encouraging, I must say...

Vodafone's website has always been pretty dire, but at least they seem to be working on the list of current faults.

Hands0n
25th December 2006, 11:47 AM
Gosh! They're working on Christmas Day too! And taking the time out to communicate with me. Hands up for Vodafone, they are really working on this problem. :cool:

It does appear to be an approved design shortfall of software written for Vodafone by a third party software house. Vodafone are in dialogue with them about a permanent remedy. :cool:

However, a workaround has been offered which I share with you below. It is not exactly ideal [for me:p ], but is the only way at the moment if you do wish to administer the Family group via the web where your handset is the second or later registered to your particular account with Vodafone (this software currenly only picks up the first registered number).

From the Vodafone CS handling my case;

I’ve been provided with a remedy by their I.T department to manage a second telephone number via 'My Vodafone'. As no drop down menu to select mobile number (0779*******) is presently available, I’ve been offered the following solution:

Go to www.vodafone.co.uk
Select My Vodafone
Go to please log in / register
Go to the second box option, ‘Register’
Follow the on-screen instructions, registering a separate username and password for the second number / 'My Vodafone' account.
Opt to register the secondary number (0779*******)
A text message will be sent out to your handset with a security code. This needs to be entered on 'My Vodafone' before proceeding.
You should then be able to register for Vodafone Family and the number will appear on the log in screen

I’ve attempted the above on my own second number and it has allowed me to manage a group via a separate username and password log-in.

I understand that this does involve having up a secondary My Vodafone account, username and password in place, although it should allow for management of an online Vodafone Family group via the internet. Now that I’ve established contact with the company who design the website platform, I’ve also fed back the full notes, including the original Talk3G thread, for their information regarding establishing a drop down menu on their system.

An extremely useful and much appreciated response from Vodafone. Well done people, well done indeed. :)

Ben
25th December 2006, 01:07 PM
Thanks for that, Hands0n, such information will no doubt be invaluable to others who are in the same boat. As for Vodafone, it's a commendable customer services effort but I really do think they should reconsider their arrangement with the company who designed the website platform...

fireballxl5
10th January 2007, 01:53 PM
Ive just found out that one of my "voda family" has been charged for a call to me :mad: not sure if it has anything to do with yesterday i used my last £15 to get a txt pack and have no credit now if so this "stinks" but voda cant help out and re credit my friend as she cant phone them cos it took all her credit :mad:

Hands0n
10th January 2007, 09:25 PM
This has got to be an administrative error.

As far as I understand with Vodafone Family using their PAYT, they will charge you the £5 for a month's use. During that month it will not matter if you run out of credit. The Family group will remain active until the month is out.

Once that month is out Vodafone will try and charge your PAYT the £5 for the next month of use. If you have insufficient credit they won't be able to do that and the Family group will expire, and all calls between former members will be chargeable.

What has happened to your Family member must be a technical issue and they should credit her back - but it will be imperative to insist on this. A call to Vodafone Customer Services on PAYT is £0.25p IIRC, so the next time she tops up she should place the call.