View Full Version : Memory Errors

Ben
22nd April 2005, 03:24 PM
Hi,

Ok, been using the 6680 for a while now, pretty heavily at times, and sometimes I get an Out of Memory message flash up. This isn't the case - there's plenty of free memory and no rogue applications open. Trying the operation again normally succeeds fine, so it's not a problem as such, but it is a little irritating.

Does this happen often on Symbian phones, or should I look to getting the software updated at some stage? At least it isn't causing any actual problems.

Jon3G
22nd April 2005, 05:07 PM
Never had it happen on my 6630, but what I have had is please remove memory card msg

jman
22nd April 2005, 09:58 PM
I have had the out of memory message a couple of times on my 6630, never seen the remove memory card msg, I would say from past experience that Symbian phones are inclined to give this sort of messages from time-to-time, nothing a regular reboot wont sort out.

Ben
22nd April 2005, 10:48 PM
That's quite reassuring - I'll keep an eye on it and post again in a few weeks. If it was actually stopping me doing things then I'd be annoyed, but thus far it's just an occaisional hinderance.

Still overwhelmingly impressed overall! The operators are making a huge mistake by faffing around with software changes.

jman
22nd April 2005, 11:02 PM
"The operators are making a huge mistake by faffing around with software changes."

I take it your reffering to the branding+firmware tweaking that the likes of Orange done and durly wasted the 6630.

Ben
22nd April 2005, 11:07 PM
Absolutely! Vodafone also announced delays (http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/artman-test/publish/article_318.shtml) as they ready their software. As hinted on this small poll (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=286) the kind of people who want to buy this phone don't care for network customisations. With the software on these phones becoming infinitely more complicated, before long we could be finding that here in the UK we're waiting many months before the networks release new phones. Like in the 6630's case, its successor ended up being announced just a couple of months later.

Hands0n
23rd April 2005, 11:36 PM
A growing market for De-Branding will likely evolve if they keep this up. Especially as they cripple the phones standard facilities in the name of protectionism. The factory standard software is often widely available. Kits to De-Brand are appearing, although strictly not for the novice.