View Full Version : Vodafone dumps Hugh Symons (CPW's Wholesale)

3GScottishUser
20th December 2006, 06:33 PM
From Mobile Today 20/12/2006:

Vodafone dumped Hugh Symons this week, giving the distie three months' notice that it would pull its relationship. Vodafone will be removed from Hugh Symons' portfolio by 1 April.

The decision was reached despite attempts by Carphone's indirect chief, Stuart Henry, to turn around the situation through a series of conversations with Vodafone's indirect business chief, Rob Sanford. The move follows Vodafone dropping Fone Logistics, as the operator streamlines its distribution. Henry was unavailable for comment as Mobile went to press.

Separately, Orange, T-Mobile and 3 are also considering axing distributors in the New Year. The three operators are all currently carrying out 'channel reviews'.

3 is understood to have wound down business with MoCo and Anglia, and is closely monitoring others. 3 will have a smaller roster of distributors lined up for its long-awaited business tariffs next year, when Anglia could be back selling 3 – albeit only for business connections.

T-Mobile is expected to cut off distributors who show high numbers of dealers who have failed to sign its recent contract. It will also look at disties with high levels of churn, unmatched Sims and handsets (contract box-breaking), as well as low ARPU coming through its dealers.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/content/15426.asp?men=0&sub=1

Ben
21st December 2006, 09:50 AM
I do feel awful for those in independent retail at the moment as the future certainly looks like a mixed bag. Vodafone, in particular, seems to be the one network determined to take complete control of how its brand image is represented and products are sold.

Still, mobile is a fast changing world, and retail, network and independent, will just have to keep adapting in order to effectively put phones in the hands of customers.

Hands0n
21st December 2006, 04:50 PM
I've never been a fan of the Dealer networks - always walk out of there feeling a bit sore in the botty department :D I, personally, find all of the ones that I've ever come across in fact or in kind (i.e. by proxy) to be entirely shoddy, led by none other than P4U. Disgusting bunch that they are!