View Full Version : msn question for 3 pay as u go.

biga
28th December 2006, 02:31 PM
Hi All.

I'm sure u have all seen the offer on the 3 page. Get a 3 phone for £5 plus £30 credit and you have free msn.

However I would like to ask the house what the catch is?

1. Do I have FREE msn for ever?

2. Do I need top up to maintain that FREE msn every month or 3 month or so?

3. How exactly does msn work on 3? Does it normally charge per message like sms?

4. How good is the msn interface when comparing it to the PC equivalent?

Thank you all, happy holidays and yup this is my 1st post. HELLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO everyone! :) :) :)

Hands0n
28th December 2006, 03:07 PM
Hello biga, welcome to Talk3G, good questions and I'm sure someone with more inside information will be able to flesh out what I can glean from 3.

I'm not intimately familiar with the "free MSN" offer from 3 but having a bit of a dig around their web page ..... here (http://www.three.co.uk/personal/price_plans_/promotions_/windows_live_payg.omp) which I presume you are referring to. If not, please post up the URL of the one you've seen :)

The 3 web page is somewhat confusing .... the short version appears to be; if you've signed up before 30/11/06 you've got free MSN messages till the end of 2007, subject to 3's FUP.

Now the details.

Firstly their brief T&Cs on that page say

Free MSN Pay As You Go Offer Free MSN offer available to new Pay As You Go customers who connect to 3 by 30.11.06 on selected handsets and to existing Pay As You Go customers who download the MSN Messenger application within 3 Services before 30.11.06. MSN Messenger is free for the first 3 months only. The number of MSN messages is subject to a fair use policy of 200 messages per day or 6,000 messages per month. Handset and service limitations and terms apply. MSN net passport account required. Handsets subject to availability.

Which means that by now the date to take on the Free MSN offer has expired.

Elsewhere on the page 3 state ....

Get credited 5p a minute for answering your calls and 2p when you recieve a text

Plus Windows Live Messenger free until the end of 2007.

Which says to me that, providing you took up their offer before 30/11/06, the actual use of MSN is free until end 2007 subject to their Fair Use Policy (see previous quote).

The 3 implementation of MSN will charge for messages, as you say similar to SMS - but at the moment they'll be free within the context above.

However, there is no mention at the moment of what 3 will eventually charge per MSN message. It had better be low or 3 will kill the facility off in one fell swoop. The way the kids use it I can see 200 free per day being wholly inadequate, even if it is on a mobile! Once they get started they're on there for hours like a gathering of little old women :D

SvenDettmer
29th December 2006, 08:55 AM
I´m from Sweden and my operator is 3 as well, I think they have almost the same stuff to offer around the world!

3 is based in HongKong acctually.

To your Question:

1. MSN with your card is free in 30 days.
After that you have yo buy units to get it for free again (30 days).
2. When you have a the right contract it´s always free to chat how much you want.
3. I also know that some without the right contract can get it and chat for free for the first 6 month, then it will cost (Sweden: £ 2.5/ month) to chat how much you want.

So, depend on your contract you do with 3 england: It can be free forever...

I hope my answer was helpful to some of you :)