View Full Version : The way to be on 3

SvenDettmer
29th December 2006, 10:47 AM
You know, normally 3 is "ONE" company. But it seems that they do nothing for us customer to be happy.

I tried to find a solution for my LG U300 locked to 3 UK to unlock it.
But still i don´t know why i have to unlock it. My Operator is 3 Sweden.

So in meaning "ONE" company is not mean that we can use same operator in a different country.

I wish i can get a solution to use my 3 simcard in that mobile... and hope still i can fix it somehow.

I acctually bought it on ebay and the person don´t tell that the mobile was locked to 3, but that is not the problem, i ask 3 sweden and UK what to do to unlock it.

3 Sweden means they can´t do something.
3 UK called me and told me that i have to contact the person selling this mobile to unlock it.
They told me it will cost (i´m not sure the amount) £15 or £50.

Is it £50 they want have for unlocking is it not worth it, becoz it will cost more then the mobile itself including the shipping cost.

I bought a 3 UK pay as you go card, but i´m not sure is it working (i wait for delivery)...

So i still ask for help..... and hope someone can fix my problem!

Hands0n
29th December 2006, 11:16 AM
I am sure that your WePay/ThreePay USIM will work in a UK 3 Contract phone.

It is shocking that a phone supplied by 3 in the UK will not work on another 3 network in the world. That prevents legitimate 3 users from migrating their handsets abroad, or perhaps temporarily using a local PAYG USIM. How very mean of them.

3 have an apparent policy of not supplying unlock codes to anyone but the original buyer. Therefore, unless you are happy with the situation, my strongest advice is not to buy any locked 3 handsets from eBay or anywhere else.

The usual cost for unlocking by 3 is £15 - I've not heard of it being as high as £50. The Indian Call Centre are usually not at all helpful, they have a rigid script to follow and will not deviate from it, so negotiating the release of the handset is impossible.

My advice to anyone who wants a 3G handset to use on other networks - buy anything not 3, preferably unlocked. Only buy a 3-originated handset if you know and understand exactly what you are getting into, before you part with any money. Otherwise, your experience is likely to mirror our new friend here.

SvenDettmer
29th December 2006, 11:41 AM
Yes, it´s not a good sign.

The next step i did right now is:

I contacted 3 HongKong (Headquater of 3) and told them my problem and ask them to do something for the customers within 3.... I will update with information when i got the answer...

Untill that, i will wait for my pay as you go card and wish someone comes with a solution to unlock my mobile...

3GsINgH
30th December 2006, 07:54 PM
It is shocking that a phone supplied by 3 in the UK will not work on another 3 network in the world. That prevents legitimate 3 users from migrating their handsets abroad, or perhaps temporarily using a local PAYG USIM. How very mean of them.

Its like this because 3 Sweden is a completely different company to 3UK. You can only lock a phone to one network as they all have different ID numbers whether it be 3UK, 3 Sweden or 3 HK. It is not just 3 that it applies to, generally an o2-de (German) phone wont accept an o2-uk sim etc.

Yes they may share the same name and owners but thats about it.

Hands0n
30th December 2006, 09:40 PM
Its like this because 3 Sweden is a completely different company to 3UK. You can only lock a phone to one network as they all have different ID numbers whether it be 3UK, 3 Sweden or 3 HK. It is not just 3 that it applies to, generally an o2-de (German) phone wont accept an o2-uk sim etc.

Yes they may share the same name and owners but thats about it.

Yea, I understand the technicalities but the business process has failed this Customer utterly. They are not even making the effort to accommodate a Customer of theirs. And they shake their heads in wonderment when people walk away from 3 in disgust!

It is not rocket science, but 3 just dont get the Customer thing ................ yet! And that is a crying shame.

SvenDettmer
31st December 2006, 09:04 AM
It´s not the way like it sounds. i acctually like 3 (what they offer is good) and they are always ahead of the other 3G operators.

The problem i have is that is 3 itself.

Imagine Ericsson: you can call whereever you are, and they want help you!
Becoz it´s one company. And a company act like one and not like 10 different companies. In my case:
I contact them and told them i bought a mobile locked to them, but i´m in Sweden on 3. I ask to help me to use the mobile.
I can also show them, that i have bought it on ebay, i saved it. But they did not ask about that.
The only thing they told me, that i have to contact the owner of the contract that he have to unlock it.

I askk me why?
He have still the contract, it´s just the mobile he sold and need to unlocked!

I also called and contacted my 3 sweden, the same there, they can´t help of course, they acctually can´t, it´s not there mobile imei or id... But

it´s the helping hand (or the not helping hand) what is the big disaster on 3

chaslam
31st December 2006, 02:28 PM
It´s not the way like it sounds. i acctually like 3 (what they offer is good) and they are always ahead of the other 3G operators.

The problem i have is that is 3 itself.

Imagine Ericsson: you can call whereever you are, and they want help you!
Becoz it´s one company. And a company act like one and not like 10 different companies. In my case:
I contact them and told them i bought a mobile locked to them, but i´m in Sweden on 3. I ask to help me to use the mobile.
I can also show them, that i have bought it on ebay, i saved it. But they did not ask about that.
The only thing they told me, that i have to contact the owner of the contract that he have to unlock it.

I askk me why?
He have still the contract, it´s just the mobile he sold and need to unlocked!

I also called and contacted my 3 sweden, the same there, they can´t help of course, they acctually can´t, it´s not there mobile imei or id... But

it´s the helping hand (or the not helping hand) what is the big disaster on 3

I'm not sure if you understand the situation correctly. It would be the same with any other network. Just because they share the same branding, it doesn't mean they are the same company. For example, its like getting a voucher here for a free big mac, and taking it over to France and asking them for your free big mac with the voucher you obtained from the UK. They obviously wouldn't allow it, as, although it has the same branding, its a completely different chain of restaurants under completely different management.

If you were with any other network in the UK it would be exactly the same. If you were with vodafone and you wanted to move to france, your phone still wouldnt accept a SFR sim, even though its technically the same company that owns it. The same thing kind of happens here in the UK. As you may know, superdrug is owned by the same company as 3UK (Hutchinson wompa). If someone gave you a £10 gift voucher for superdrug, to use against anything in a superdrung store, they arent going to allow you to use it against a phone from a 3point just because its the same company that own it. Its under and entriely different management system.

SvenDettmer
1st January 2007, 01:28 PM
Hi, sure i can understand that things can be diffecult to manage.

I don´t think that you can tell that 3 is not 3 only becoz they are in different countries.

You can take your 3 uk to 3 sweden, and surf on ur 3 portal without getting charged for it.... That´s one reason that they are ONE company.

I think they do this kind of thing (as vodafone, and others also) becoz they earn money on it. example: Roaming, unlocking. But not always is money the reason why it is like that. The safty is also important.

So, why i wrote something like that is not that easy to understand for all people.

But i´m sure you will understand when you think about it little longer!

And the example you told me here is not the same thing. It´s local use, and normally you will find text, telling exactly where you can use it.

Phones should be kind different.... And of course, you should getting help more better than that i got

SvenDettmer
3rd January 2007, 03:58 PM
I just got a mail from the seller, he called Three uk and wrote: that he have left 17 month of his contract. and if he unlock the mobile now, he have to pay over 530 £ at once....
So, i have to unlock it somewhere else....
Right now i can´t find one to unlock with imei, but might be on other way?
LG U300 Three uk....

Hands0n
3rd January 2007, 07:17 PM
Now that is the problem - users selling off their upgrade handsets as soon as they receive them, to make a quick buck back. But the buyer gets the cr*p to handle if they want to get an unlock as 3 simply will not provide the code prior to end of contract. It is a familiar tale.

I do not know of any unlocks for the U300 at the moment .... but keep searching Google and eBay - something will turn up eventually.

3GScottishUser
3rd January 2007, 10:32 PM
Bin the LG U300 I suggest......

Buying a new 3G handset SIM Free could be a cheaper option.

SvenDettmer
7th January 2007, 12:32 PM
Hi, i think i will sell it, at least i will try, i already started a auction on Tradera and got a bidder. I wrote all important things in the auction, like: locked to three uk, what follows with mobile and so on...

Right now is the highest bid 550:- SEK (including shipping (Sweden): 89,68 USD). I payed including shipping: 102 USD.

So, when it is the only bid i lost 12.32 USD

But of course better then 102 USD