View Full Version : 3 Scraps roaming across own networks

3GScottishUser
16th January 2007, 06:14 AM
Mobile phone network 3 has abolished roaming charges for its UK customers in seven nations including Italy, Australia and the Republic of Ireland.

Its users will no longer be charged extra for making or receiving calls or texts when visiting the countries.

3 said there would be no one-off fees, and that its users would automatically gain the service.

The other places in which it has abolished the fees are Austria, Hong Kong, Sweden and Denmark.

Sister networks

The firm is able to end roaming fees from the seven nations as each has its own 3 network.

The company confirmed that calls from any of the seven countries back to the UK would come under the user's usual monthly call allowance, and be exactly the same as if they were making a domestic call.

If a user exceeds his or her monthly call allowance when phoning from one of the seven nations they will then be charged a flat fee of 20p a minute.

3 added that its UK customers would also be able to make video calls and access the internet at their usual domestic rate under the new service, which is called 3 Like Home.

European roaming probe

"The launch of the 3 Like Home scheme will significantly benefit our customers as they travel between the 3 group's networks," said 3's Christian Salbaing.

"It underlines our commitment to fair treatment and reasonable pricing for all our customers."

Yet 3's customers will continue to have to pay roaming fees when phoning or receiving calls from other countries.

Mr Salbaing said he hoped the European Commission would stick to its declared intention to cap roaming charges.

The Commission first said in July last year that it intended to enforce a limit on roaming fees, and is continuing to look at the matter.

It said in November that some European mobile phone users were turning off their handsets when abroad because of "excessively high" roaming charges.

3 has more than 3.75 million customers in the UK and more than 13.5 million worldwide.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6263699.stm

3g-g
16th January 2007, 09:45 AM
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant, and about time. It took 3 to shake up the market the last time, and I think they'll do it again with this little peach of a promotion, the rest of them need to follow suit! You know who you are, Orange, Vodafone, T-Mobile and O2!! This is something I've wanted to see for a long time, and I'm glad someone has had the balls to implement it. Well done Three.

3GScottishUser
16th January 2007, 11:14 AM
A step in the right direction that addresses the issue that many have been bothered about for years, why should you have to pay the same company a fortune for using their networks abroad?

Good to see this but it's limited because of 3's small footprint in Europe. Handy for those who travel to Ireland, Italy, Austria Sweden or Denmark though and if you happen to be going Down Under!!

This must be a very easy improvement for networks to offer and others should follow suit although I suspect those with a bigger more useable footprint will continue to charge a premium for a while. It's the big holiday destinations that really matter to most users and with 02 + Orange having big interests in Spain, Vodafone just about everywhere and T-Mobile in Germany and the USA there is plenty of scope for on-net roaming reductions.

NB: Just a slight word of warning.... if you roam onto a 3 network abroad when the signal drops and the handset roams onto another usable service you will have to pay the standard roaming charge for that country, so be careful to check the handset display!!

Hands0n
16th January 2007, 08:14 PM
The closest we get to this is Vodafone's Passport - and even that is at somewhat a premium, albeit 70p per call set up, then your own inclusive minutes.

Is 3 trying to appear a Global brand? It is certainly a welcome bit of movement, albeit within their own limited global footprint. Will the others respond?

3GScottishUser
16th January 2007, 08:31 PM
3 are simply doing what they can. They are paying out far more to other networks than they can generate from roaming (as they are a 3G only network) and the scrapping of roaming for their own customers on-net is a bit of a ploy to put pressure on others to do likewise so they will benefit from reduced charges.

It's quite clever in a way but it won't work as 3 are so small compared with T-Mobile, Vodafone, Orange etc.

The other thing that requires consideration is that 3 rely on GSM partners in all countries where they operate and this '3 like home' deal does not include the substantial areas where a 3 handset roams onto a local GSM roaming partner.

It's good but it's a bit of a desparate move that'll win friends with 3 customers who travel to countries where the 3 footprint is present but that wont affect many I suspect. The other networks are likely to compete but not to same extent, simply becasue they dont have to and they have GSM + 3G of their own.

getti
6th March 2007, 11:51 PM
I really though this would be more popular. Yes its only in a few other countries for now but its a HUGE step forward.

International calling back to the UK normally costs a fortune but at least this helps cut down costs. I am planning a trip to Italy later in the year and its great to know i can take my 3 phone with me and not only voice call but VIDEO CALL! back home for upto 50 minutes FREE!.

I had a young girl come in to work last week from Austria asking how much it costs to call her family back home. Should have seen how happy she was when i told her it comes out of her free minutes!. You can just tell that made her day.

3GScottishUser
7th March 2007, 07:59 AM
Yes its good that 3 let you use their own networks to call home and receive calls with no roaming charges but sadly they dont have many networks!!

Most UK customers visit Spain, Portugal, Greece, France etc etc and 3 dont have decent roaming deals for those countries.

I bet (just as with Vodafone's Passport) there will be quite a few customers who end up roaming onto other networks in countries where 3 operate and get charged. Its very easily done as you need to look at the screen everytime you choose to make or receive a call, and how many of us actually bother?

On-net roaming is a great leap forward but the real customer benefits wont be felt until the big players co-operate and let their customers travel without the punitive price restrictions that the EU has happily decided to act on.