View Full Version : O2 Marks Another Milestone in 3G Technology

3GScottishUser
24th January 2007, 09:57 AM
From Hardwarezone.com (23/01/2007):

O2 announced the launch of its new mobile 3G devices. The Xda Zinc and O2 Graphite combine the latest communications technology with some serious processing power to run all your work and lifestyle applications. Both devices have been designed to help customers live a richer and more productive life by making communications fuss-free.

Xda Zinc: Built for the communication enthusiast

The Xda Zinc is designed to be the most powerful messaging PDA-phone for professionals who rely heavily on email, IM and SMS. To take productivity several notches higher, O2 has incorporated a slide-out Qwerty keyboard into the device to deliver the optimal messaging experience. When extended, the sturdy keyboard automatically switches the 2.8” 65K-colour TFT-LCD display from portrait to landscape mode to facilitate the composition and reading of email, SMS and work documents like Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint slides. The Xda Zinc’s sleek design will also appeal to seasoned road warriors who prefer to communicate via a thumb keyboard and is perfect for high data users who don’t think twice about banging out information at lightning speed. Communication can also travel faster now thanks to the device’s 3G capabilities.

The Xda Zinc runs on the Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 platform, which will appeal to those who want the latest in mobile office functionality; and is equipped with an Intel Xscale PXA 270 processor running at 520MHz and Intel Hermon chip to allow speedy data transfer, and 128MB of onboard memory. The device will also appeal to those who prize seamless wireless connectivity: Besides 3G capabilities, it features direct push technology for email, Bluetooth SIG v 2.0 and Wireless LAN 802.11b+g. You can check stock market movements, book e-tickets, conduct video calls, and trade files and business cards over the air whenever you need.

What makes the Xda Zinc a true professional messaging machine include also its array of unique messaging applications, such as O2 Phone Plus, O2 Message Plus, and SMS Backup, all designed to simplify your every communication need.

O2 Graphite: Makes your life easier

Those who do not require a full-fledged powerhouse mobile workstation like the Xda Zinc can still enjoy 3G technology in a more familiar setting. The O2 Graphite looks like a candy bar mobile phone: it measures 109.5 x 46.9 x 18 mm) and weighs just 105g. But don’t let that fool you. Under its deceptively modest hood sits a really hot engine. The O2 Graphite is powered by an Intel Xscale PXA 270 Processor at 416MHz and Intel Hermon chip for quick 3G data processing; comes with 128MB Flash ROM memory; and operates on the Windows Mobile 5.0 platform with Messaging and Security Feature Pack, direct push technology, and the latest editions of Microsoft Office programs for Windows Mobile including Outlook, Internet Explorer and MSN Messenger). Match these productivity features with connectivity options like Wireless LAN 802.11b+g and Bluetooth SIG v 2.0, and you have a device that can really help you upkeep productivity during work days.

On weekends, you can still use the same phone to organise your family and social lives. Download music, video clips and games onto the O2 Graphite to share with your family on its 2.2-inch 65K-colour TFT-LCD screen, or catch up with friends over SMS or IM. The 2.0 mega pixel camera with strobe flash also allows you to capture photo-quality moments, with a second camera available for video calling.

Mark Billington, CEO of O2 Asia Pacific, says, “Technology is complicated, but your life shouldn’t be. O2 devices are built not just for style but also for performance, and of course, ease-of-use.”

“The Xda Zinc and O2 Graphite are defining a whole new category of 3G phones in our portfolio. The Xda Zinc is for professionals who are tech-savvy, enjoy messaging and need to stay connected to work 24/7. The O2 Graphite, on the other hand, will appeal to customers who prefer a more familiar mobile phone setting but enjoy the efficiency and features of a Smartphone. We pair both devices with 3G capabilities, so they can experience a smoother web-browsing experience and join the 3G revolution and all the benefits that brings. It’s all about broadening choices and new experiences for our customers,” he added.

Pricing & availability

The Xda Zinc and O2 Graphite will retail at S$1,298 and S$798 respectively, inclusive of GST and a one-year local warranty, at early February 2007, at all SingTel, M1 and StarHub outlets, authorised distributors and retail channels.

More information is available at www.02.co.uk

http://www.hardwarezone.com/news/view.php?id=6435&cid=9

Hands0n
24th January 2007, 10:01 PM
3G with O2 is pointless - their 3G network does not work effectively and is constantly swamped by their 2G network. Any 3G device lives almost its entire life in 2G mode. This is the picture in North Kent, pretty much all of it!

Ben
24th January 2007, 10:17 PM
It does seem a little bit like nobody told O2 they actually had to build a 3G network and they couldn't just acquire one from BT ;) I remember watching Peter on their webcasts about 3G rollout and being almost convinced at the time that O2 were doing the right thing holding back... now I see Vodafone, Orange and surprisingly T-Mobile *funny tune* gaining momentum and I can't help but think they just didn't want to spend the money to keep up with the Jones's.

Hands0n
24th January 2007, 10:57 PM
Imagine paying out for a Zinc or Graphite and finding that it simply does not work in 3G mode. What a sad waste of the technology .......

I simply find it very difficult to believe that O2 have got to where they are at present, but the evidence is overwhelming. I find they have nothing at all that interests me in terms of Contracts and Devices. They've completely lost the plot, it appears.

gorilla
24th January 2007, 11:22 PM
I haven't even bothered reading all of the first post. Sorry, but as an O2 3g customer I have to concur with the other posts. Utterly pointless. Non existent. They'll probably get the iphone now and force those people onto their network.