View Full Version : Fujitsu laptops to be bundled with (Orange) SIM card

Ben
24th January 2007, 03:39 PM
http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/01/24/fujitsu_orange_deal/

Orange and Fujitsu have signed a deal to include an Orange SIM in Fujitsu computers featuring an embedded GSM (3G) module.

The Fujitsu LifeBook E laptops won't be locked to Orange, so no network subsidy, but they will be tested to work with the Orange 3G and HSDPA networks.

Given the stability of the GSM standards, any incompatibility is pretty unlikely, but documentation will also be included to make connecting to Orange easy and it makes sense for a mobile-data-equipped laptop to come bundled with the SIM it needs to connect.
Again, progress, but we need 3G integrated into Centrino.

gorilla
24th January 2007, 11:13 PM
This is an interesting development (and about time too). I'm seriously considering a proper data plan on my next contract and saying goodbye to the landline. That'll be around June/July 07, so hopefully there should be more competition.

How do these work? Let's say you had Tmobile web and walk, could you just swap out the sim in the 3g module mentioned above? Or are you restricted to a data plan on orange?

Would you not rather pair you mobile to your laptop and use it as a modem? Assuming you could get decent download speeds.

3g-g
24th January 2007, 11:56 PM
How do these work? Let's say you had Tmobile web and walk, could you just swap out the sim in the 3g module mentioned above? Or are you restricted to a data plan on orange?

No, it seems from the the announcement that you'll be able to run any of the networks SIMs in them, obviously a decent 3G one with a good data tariff would be preferable. Perhaps Orange will offer some sort of "all you can eat" data plan for those buying one of these laptops and taking a contract, would definitely be more sensible on Orange's part.

Ben
25th January 2007, 09:04 AM
Indeed, in this instance the 3G module is not locked, but I'm not sure if that can be said for Dell, HP, Lenovo etc.

Hands0n
25th January 2007, 01:27 PM
Hmmmm, would I buy a SIM-locked laptop computer ????????? Tricky one that!

DOH!

Ben
25th January 2007, 02:56 PM
...and will you be able to get a free SIM-locked laptop computer with 3 months half price line rental and cashback at your local Phones4U???? ;)