View Full Version : Would you buy this?!

3g-g
25th April 2005, 12:14 AM
Having a Sanyo handset I've been particulary interested in what Sanyo may do next in the UK. They might stick with Orange for a while, but I imagine the general idea will be to offer up handsets to all the networks, after viewing the general concensus on the S750 I'd of thought.

So a little look through the interweb found these bad boys! (http://www.kddi.com/corporate/news_release/2005/0318a/image/p_index_01.jpg)

Here's a bit of blurb on the handsets:

KDDI have just announced a new addition to their line-up of 3G handsets made by Sanyo to go on sale starting tomorrow in the Kanto region. Aside from glowing candy colors like "Pink Mousse" and "Mango Pudding" -- sure to please the young, hip, teen crowd -- it also has a unique GPS function so the parents will know where the kids are located when they send email. The ultra-high-density QVGA display combined with 'Smart-Mode' and 'friendly design' also has BREW, QR code reading and Navi-Walk functions onboard, making it a certain smash hit with the 'tween crowd this spring.

Now Sanyo have a few other handsets released in Asia, but this one seems quite Motorola/Samsungy, I just wondered if something like this would sell in the UK or Europe for that matter? There seems like quite a few extra toys built in... could I cope with the grief of a pink handset justto make use of the GPS functionality... or am I no longer in the "teen demographic" at 27?

Pint of Lager for the gents, glass of white wine (or one of these handsets) for the ladies!

TheBrit
25th April 2005, 12:32 PM
Psychedelic ! :eek:

If these handsets are UMTS-only then they will not be suitable for the UK market.

Ben
25th April 2005, 01:43 PM
I think UMTS-only handsets could be really interesting... they'd have weight, size and battery life advantages no doubt, as well as cost savings, and being tied to UMTS-only would mean networks could offer special tariffs in light of the extra capacity. Perhaps UMTS-only would work well on PAYG, maybe even under a virtual operator? I guess ~90% coverage would be pretty necessary first though, but some areas are already pretty well covered.

TheBrit
25th April 2005, 11:25 PM
...except that many more transmitters are needed for UMTS because the cells are smaller. The nimby brigade will fight it.