View Full Version : Palm announces unlocked 'super 3G' Treo 750

Hands0n
6th February 2007, 10:07 AM
Two Thumbs!!! Wow! How cool is this then? Can it be any coincidence, relative to the Apple iPhone, that Palm will have this in the shops tomorrow, and for a similar £'s price point that the iPhone is anticipated to cost - when it finally arrives on these shores.

I want one, I want one, I want one :D

Palm will tomorrow begin selling an unlocked version of its Windows Mobile-based 3G smart phone, the Treo 750. Not only unlocked, but also HSDPA-capable, the company said today.

The move brings carrier Vodafone's exclusive rights to sell the device, which it has marketed as the 750v since September 2006, to an end. The 750v - so far, at any rate - lacks support for the HSDPA download speed-boosting technology, but it will be part of the unlocked 750 - and, presumably, 750s offered by other carriers.

The unlocked version also ships with Microsoft's Pocket MSN instant messaging client, but that's not likely to be as big a turn-on as HSDPA support.

More details on the Treo 750 are available from Palm Europe's website here. The unlocked device costs around £429.

Article Source - Full details and pictures here http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/02/05/palm_ships_unlocked_treo_750/

miffed
6th February 2007, 11:53 AM
I remember reading in "PDA essentials" a few months back , that Palm were going to use price as a MAJOR selling point - and they planned to sell their newest devices for Hasn't quite panned out like that , has it ? :(

Hands0n
6th February 2007, 12:25 PM
That certainly has to be the way to go - the monopoly lock by the Mobile Operators has to be broken if the Manufacturers are to get a look in on the retail price! I'd like to see hansets unbundled and priced like the commodity items that they are! There is nothing, absolutely nothing, so special about any of the handsets on offer that warrants the ridiculous £400++ prices being charged. These things are virtually printed on plastic these days.

Try selling 50,000 Nokia N95 handsets at £490 each (24.5Mln) - then try selling 2,000,000 of them at £120 apiece (£240Mln). The latter will sell in greater quantity than the former even if my numbers are optimistic!