View Full Version : Microsoft Virtual Machines

Hands0n
6th February 2007, 08:41 PM
Has anyone been playing around with Microsoft's free (I like the sound of that) Virtual Machine PC software? You can get it from here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=6D58729D-DFA8-40BF-AFAF-20BCB7F01CD1&displaylang=en

I'm just loading up a Virtual XP machine inside my main XP machine...... perhaps I can limit the damage that gets done on the primary machine by living inside this little shell :D

Paranoia is a wonderful thing!

chagle
6th February 2007, 09:20 PM
I have Virtual PC, actually paid for it when Connectix owned the Virtual PC Company - It's quite excellent actually. I've also played with VMWARE however I do like Virtual PC.

Great for testing software etc.

Enjoy.

Hands0n
6th February 2007, 09:38 PM
Interesting chagle, I was looking at VMWare but wanted to have a play with something free, and M$ seemed a sound bet. Installing XP is a right chore, even in a Virtual environment.. I may bring down VPC2007 when it comes out - not so much to play with Vista (which I don't have/want) but to get the latest fixes and enhancements - also to exploit the inbuilt CPU support for VMs that is available on the AMD and Intel chips these days.

My intention is to run the VPC to check out new softwares etc..... It'll be interesting to see how robust it is and if it lives well inside my Real PC.

If this reduces the number of times in a lifetime I have to rebuild XP I'll be delighted :D

Nearly there .....!