View Full Version : 6680 now due in May on all networks!!

delinquentwoody
25th April 2005, 02:19 PM
From Mobile Today (21/4/05):

Nokia’s 6680 delayed

Nokia's long-awaited first video calling 3G device, the 6680, is unlikely to reach the channel until May.

Nokia began shipping the 6680 to operators and other customers in March, with many operators – including Vodafone, 3 and The Carphone Warehouse – starting to promote the handset as an April release.

However, Mobile has learned that the device may now not hit UK retail channels until May, while operators configure the handsets with their software.

3, Carphone, O2 and Vodafone have all confirmed that the device will appear in retail channels in ‘early May’. However, Orange said it would be launched ‘imminently’.

T-Mobile, which carries the 6630 but has not yet officially launched consumer 3G services, said it is currently testing the 6680, but as yet does not have a firm launch date in mind.

Nokia put any delays down to the operators’ configuration requirements, such as flashing their own software on handsets, and, in Orange’s case, testing third-party applications.

Nokia’s director of multimedia, Gavin Russell, said: ‘We’re hoping it will go on release in weeks. Our product is there – it’s just getting approval for variant [i.e. operators’] software.’

delinquentwoody
25th April 2005, 02:20 PM
So im still waiting lol! At least the Orange version is 'imminent'. It's gonna mine as soon as its out!

getti
25th April 2005, 03:15 PM
Yep i remember breaking this news to people on my site a few weeks back.

The latest i hear is approximatly the 8th May for Vodafone and a few days later for Orange.

Orange were due to launch on the 1st April but 2 days before announced a delay of 1 month for further software testing

JB's Best Mate
25th April 2005, 07:25 PM
Have heard it has completed 90% of testing on 3Uk but as with all the networks I think main thing holding this one back will be stock.

Ben
25th April 2005, 07:58 PM
The sooner this phone comes out on all the 3G networks the better - 3G really needs this phone! If the result of this 'unforseen' extended testing is a stable phone then so be it, but if the delays have been purely for customisations with the usual little-to-no testing then the networks deserve everything that comes to them.

Fingers crossed it sells well - I can't see any reason why it wouldn't, everyone I've shown mine to has asked me where they can get one. It was so satisfying saying it's not out in the UK yet. Oh well!

Jon3G
26th April 2005, 09:11 AM
The waiting for the 6680 to come out is like the Z1010 wait. Its killing me and if it does not come in May, then a rival could release something to better it.

Can you remember Ben when you got the Z1010 early and we were waiting for it to come on Orange and then came the V800. I really want this phone but I am going to get fed up of waiting soon

JB's Best Mate
26th April 2005, 11:13 PM
Cant really compare waiting for the 6680 and waiting for the Z1010 , the Z1010 really was like waiting for the final coming especially if you were on 3UK -it still hasnt turned up !

The Z800 (V800 in disguise) is slated for release on 3UK in early June , now lets see how that SE fairs :confused:

After reading Ben's indepth review I am looking forward to having a serious look at the 6680 , I have had a quick play with it but cant wait for iits official release.

Lets just hope the networks dont screw the software too much.

Jon3G
27th April 2005, 09:53 AM
Cant really compare waiting for the 6680 and waiting for the Z1010 , the Z1010 really was like waiting for the final coming especially if you were on 3UK -it still hasnt turned up !

The Z800 (V800 in disguise) is slated for release on 3UK in early June , now lets see how that SE fairs :confused:

After reading Ben's indepth review I am looking forward to having a serious look at the 6680 , I have had a quick play with it but cant wait for iits official release.

Lets just hope the networks dont screw the software too much.

Come on did you really think the Z1010 would ever come out on 3, the phone was and still is a very good phone and I cant see 3 ever getting it.

Dont forget the K600i.

Ben
27th April 2005, 01:18 PM
I think a lot of people thought the Z1010 would come out on Three - they even had the portal address set up for it and everything, plus pictures of it on their website to accompany blurb about various products/services.

I know the 6680 would be fantastic on Three... but it's such an advanced phone with SO many apps to install - is there any point having it on a network that doesn't have open Internet access? Agile Messenger is a reason to pay more and buy the handset on another network in itself. The bundled web-browser is good too. It just seems like such a waste.

Jon3G
27th April 2005, 04:11 PM
I agree, due to the lack of open access on 3, I can not see any point and any decent handset with features like the 6680 or anything that requires open access going onto 3

3GScottishUser
27th April 2005, 04:16 PM
Do you think Nokia would sell it to 3 for the price of an LG?

Doubt it!

It'll remain a premium product for a while I suspect. (Nokia will not want this device tarnished by the type of heavy discounting that 3 do to aquire customers either). If quantities were provided to 3 the handset would end-up becoming devalued and might not be favoured by other networks prominently.