View Full Version : RIAA Says CDs Should Cost More

Hands0n
7th February 2007, 10:54 PM
The Japanese emperors of old would have had a great deal of respect for this current batch of Kamikaze Pilots, namely the RIAA and their cohorts.

"The folks over at Techdirt just put up a great story today, with the RIAA claiming the cost of a CD has gone down significantly relative to the consumer price index. The RIAA 'Key Facts' page claims that based on the 1983 price of CDs, the 1996 price should have been $33.86. So naturally, you should feel like you're getting a bargain. Sounds an awful lot like the cable companies saying cable prices are really going down even though they're going up."

Article source: Slashdot (http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/07/02/07/011217.shtml)

So let me see if I've got this entirely right. Given that the market for CD music has expanded just a tad since 1983, and the record labels are not exactly going bust on a daily basis (anything but), us general public are in fact ripping them off by not paying over $30 for a CD?

Okay, here is my own personal challenge to the RIAA - you go put up the price of CDs to $33.86. Then, come back in a year and see how many of your members are still in business. Even Sony BMG would be hurting badly and with a copy of the Chapter 11 legislation in their hands.

Ben
8th February 2007, 09:09 AM
They're experiencing declining sales in some sectors already... I don't get their point! A CD is worth what we're prepared to pay and, lets face it, that's not much these days.